Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

microKorg does the limited edition color swap...

ElmerJFudd

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hate to admit it, but it actually looks attractive in platinum.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

With these new variations of the old MK (this, the MicroKorg S), I do wish they'd upgrade the MK to the better feeling MK-XL action.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Disclaimer: apologies if I've hijacked this thread a bit...

Coincidentally, I'm considering adding a small synth to my rig. I've played both the MicroKorg and the Novation MiniNova.

Any opinions on which synth you like better? I'm looking for an inexpensive, poyphonic addition to my live rig.

(I'm leaning towards the 300.00 to 400.00 price range if possible.)

(Either something like the above, or I might just get a Behringer DeepMind12.)

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

Don't have a MicroKorg, but I can compare the MiniNova to the Roland JD-XI. For pads and general VA sounds the MiniNova wins. It actually sounds really good. But you get this at the expense of ROMpler sounds. If you only need VA, get the MiniNova. If you need some ROMpler sounds, don't get the MiniNova.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Interesting... because I'm really looking for nice pads as well as leads. Don't really need any romper sounds, got those covered. Will think about it!

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

Sounds are subjective, but just in terms of operation, I'd say the MiniNova has the better interface for live tweaking, but the Korg has the better interface for calling up saved sounds.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Disclaimer: apologies if I've hijacked this thread a bit...

Coincidentally, I'm considering adding a small synth to my rig. I've played both the MicroKorg and the Novation MiniNova.

Any opinions on which synth you like better? I'm looking for an inexpensive, poyphonic addition to my live rig.

MicroKorg is cool but really hampered by lack of poly (4 voices). Also depends on what sounds you need. Something like an MX-49 may make more sense.

I'm considering adding a small synth to my rig. I've played both the MicroKorg and the Novation MiniNova.

MicroKorg is cool but really hampered by lack of poly (4 voices). Also depends on what sounds you need. Something like an MX-49 may make more sense.

MX49 is not what I would suggest for real synth functionality along the lines of any of the 3 boards he mentioned, it's a whole different category of board. I assume that if those three are on his short list (including after playing two of them), he pretty much knows the kind of board he's looking for. Especially with a name like analogman! ;-)

Archived