Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cable Question: Dual Spiral Serve vs. Braided Shield vs. Foil

Hey all, We've had some good cable discussions on this forum, but now that I'm ready to buy, I'm not sure I fully understand what I need. I'm buying balanced and unbalanced cables for a home studio, and the lengths are quite long (over 40 feet in some cases - balanced only [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]). It's an apartment situation, so I will be moving them from time to time, but they won't be twisted and mangled like a mic or guitar cable. I may need to unplug them from time to time to swap gear, but again, no major motion. So should I be looking for Braided Shielding, Dual Spiral Serve, or Foil? I'm leaning toward the spiral serve or braiding, but I don't know enough about either technology to make the decision. Maybe it's not even that important. But since this project will cost me several hundred bucks, I want to make the right decision. Anyways, if the experts are out there, I would love to hear from you. Thanks again, Wiggum

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know what dual spiral is, however I know foil is el cheapo, so if you can afford it, go with the braided stuff, alot more flexible and protection.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Well actually, foil provides 100% shielding where braid does not. However, real long, heavy duty foil cables end up kinda' stiff and not as flexible as the braid. Wiggum (what's the meaning behind that name/handle...?), Don't sweat the small stuff. Get good quality cable...if it's braid...look for a nice tight weave, and I kinda' like when they include a bare wire with the braid and the 1 or 2 conductors, so if you have to solder plugs, you don't have to dick around with the braid, just solder the bare wire that's in contact with the braid...followin' me? The foil stuff already comes with a bare wire...can't really solder the foil...hehehe. The "dual spiral"...I think you mean twisted pair or twisted quad pair (double twisted pair). Well, that's usually used for balanced lines. The twisted pair conductors fend of interference better than parallel pairs. Quad just gives you double conductors (2 colds & 2 hots)...it's just more real estate for the signals to travel on...but it also costs more. Since you plan on moving and disconnecting the wires a lot(?)...go for the best you can afford, and get cables that have a nice heavy duty outside jacket...roll up and twist the wire into smaller loops...if you see a lot of wrinkles and crinkles in the jacket, than it might be too thin and too loose. So, just get some good quality heavy duty cables (that REAL expensive stuff tends to be a bit over-rated in quality VS. co$t). Your real concerns should be on proper grounding of all your equipment/connections and how to interface the unbalanced with the balanced. I again suggest you check out the Tech Notes at http://www.rane.com/ !!!! Tech Note 110 is a MUST READ if you are concerned at all about these "cable things". You got to get a little technical, otherwise just hook up the stuff and pray for the best! [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Hey guys, Dual Spiral Serve isn't the same as a twisted pair cable (as far as I know). It's a type of shielding. There is single spiral serve, and dual spiral serve. I don't know much more than that. I've looked at both, and I hope to make a decision soon. Miroslav: Chief Clancey Wiggum is the overweight, incompetent police officer from The Simpsons. It could also refer to Ralph, the Chief's son. Before you ask....no I'm not a cop, nor incompetent [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]. Just a die-hard Simpsons fan. All the best, Wiggum

Yea, I agree with Miroslav.... Foil is better, in fact, foil with a 98% braid is the ultimate in signal protection. This is the stuff that's used for broadband signals in video and computer studios. Video has a lot more bandwidth to worry about than audio (5-10MHz vs 50KHz bandwidth). I also agree with sticking to more expensive cables but don't get too nutso on some of these yuppie marketing terms. Bottom line is most studios are using cable from Mogami, Canare, Belden, AlphaWire, etc. You can check them out on the web or Markertek sells most of 'em. Even Rapco sells good quality stuff for cheap. Remember, you get what you pay for. If you can see the shield before you buy it, (ask the dealer to check the back room for damaged cable), cut the jacket back with a knife, and check the braid. If its thick so you can't see thru it, and is extremely hard to cut thru to the inner conductor, then that's the baby you want! There are other issues with cabling (impedance) but 40 ft of balanced cable is nothing. Unbalanced?... get yourself a MatchMaker i.e. unbalanced to balanced line amp. They're a little expensive but worth every db in signal quality. Pep

Archived