Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just learned of Gary Burton's retirement

d  halfnote

From DownBeat / June 2K17

Jazz mallet player Gary Burton has performed his last concert &, apparently, made his last recordings.

Following several medical procedures relating to cardiac problems he found, after one that had him "lights out" for 1/2 hour, his previous sense of absolute pitch failing & some other cognitive probs so he decided to totally retire.

http://downbeat.com/news/detail/qa-with-gary-burton-a-fond-farewell

Some may already be aware of that; others, like me who haven't followed his career as closely may be taken by surprise.

So, no more of this

[video:youtube]

This

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g895EWwv7H8

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g895EWwv7H8

Or even this

[video:youtube]

d=halfnote

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, that's too bad. I wish him well.

But THANK GOD we can still get the RECORDINGS! Of which I'm woefully short on. The laser in my CD player's damned near burned THROUGH my "Cool Nights" CD. :D

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

That's strange -- I thought I had read an obit a few months ago. Must have simply been a story about the heart problems. Glad he's still with us!

Also good to see he's touring with Makoto Ozone, who is my favourite of his collaborators (next up being Chick Corea). I'll have to look at the calendar to see if I can make one of the rare 12 concerts in his farewell tour.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

That's strange -- I thought I had read an obit a few months ago. Must have simply been a story about the heart problems. Glad he's still with us!

Also good to see he's touring with Makoto Ozone, who is my favourite of his collaborators (next up being Chick Corea). I'll have to look at the calendar to see if I can make one of the rare 12 concerts in his farewell tour.

Tour's already over.

d=halfnote

One has to ask why a sense of absolute pitch is critical to a vibes player?

Well, even quicker note recognition---after all, even though he didn't need to tweek the pitches when playing vibes, etc, he hadda hear what was on a recording or what another player was doing.

This may also apply: when many players w/absolute pitch sense begin losing it (whether from age or other probs) their general sense of pitch becomes confusing to them.

d=halfnote

One has to ask why a sense of absolute pitch is critical to a vibes player?

Well, even quicker note recognition---after all, even though he didn't need to tweek the pitches when playing vibes, etc, he hadda hear what was on a recording or what another player was doing.

This may also apply: when many players w/absolute pitch sense begin losing it (whether from age or other probs) their general sense of pitch becomes confusing to them.

Very valid, but I'd say the first is a matter where relative pitch is more crucial than absolute pitch, i.e. you need to know what note another player is playing, but not whether it's really in tune. In the second instance, maybe he's just no longer hearing how others are voicing chords, etc, & feels he can't respond optimally.

Whatever the case, he has had a stellar & respected career, & one has to respect the fact that he is stopping before he becomes incapable of playing well at all.

Scott Fraser

That's the way I read it from the DBeat story, which you prolly read by now, too.

Plus he's been working & teaching for decades, maybe he just wants some relaxed enjoyment before his health declines further.

I wonder, though, if he might get itchy & "make some more of what he's here for".

Here's where to keep track = http://www.garyburton.com/

d=halfnote

Archived