Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

thanks for linux help, here is an update

on my p3/450 i have debian linux installed and running. it fixed itself so i can turn it off now when i log out.

sofar i cant get it online due to DHCP problems with the cable modem. the OS see's the ethernet card as eth0, the cable modem see's the ethernet card, but the OS doesnt talk to the ethernet card. it keeps looking for ppoe/asop connection and doesnt find any. - this may take time :confused:

linux is very cool. its advanced a lot since i saw it last time in 1998, it installs easier and the main GUI's are incredibly neato. KDE and GNOME are my favorites so far.

i dont know how far i am going to get with linux because its really hard, much harder than windows or mac. i'm pretty proficient in 95,98,xp, os9.x, and osx but linux kicks my butt in terms of "i dont know how to make this work"

if it were a little easier then i dont see how windows/mac could outdo linux at all. it seems like its about the most powerful thing there is.

i hope i can make it do something cool :)

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Mr. Nice Crass Coaster Guy:

i dont know how far i am going to get with linux because its really hard, much harder than windows or mac. i'm pretty proficient in 95,98,xp, os9.x, and osx but linux kicks my butt in terms of "i dont know how to make this work"

if it were a little easier then i dont see how windows/mac could outdo linux at all. it seems like its about the most powerful thing there is.

i hope i can make it do something cool :)

Hey Coaster...

I feel the same way. I don't have much of a problem getting the Windows stuff working, been screwing with it since early dos & the 8086s but Linux is kicking my ass. Part of the problem is the lack of time to spend to start learning from the basics of it.

I got Morphix heavy to actually load and run but too intensive for the old box I put it on and can't get the soundcard working. I'm now trying to see if the medium weight version will work No Open Office, & KDE instead of Gnome & etc.

Even with the hassles I know I'm going to love it once I get it up and running. If and when I do and get more familiar I'll install on my main box.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

When I installed Red Hat Linux 9 and Fedora here they recognized my Lan immediately and the only soundcard problems have been trying to configure for Planet CCRMA with a SoundBlaster Live Platinum card on that box.

By the way, as soon as I went cable(about 7 years ago!) I removed that nasty phone modem from the computer...and I have heard that many versions of Linux will go to that one first so guess I saved myself from a headache :)

Keep plugging away at it, sounds like your winning so far!

Darkon the Incandescent

http://www.billheins.com/

Hail Vibrania!

Archived