Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Public Enemy fans here ?

d  halfnote

Recently I've been reintroduced to the recordings of PE & have been surprised by the variety of their work, which goes far beyond the Bomb Squad hyper-sampling of their early efforts.

Any fans here ?

Disregarding political aspects, here're a couple examples of what I find interesting.

The first features the notorious Flavor Flav, not only performing multiple roles in the vid but playing all the musical tracks.

High-larious !

[video:youtube]

This next features a live, not sampled, gtr track from Steve Stills

--------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, if ya just got a shoulder chip abt hip-hop, please just skip commenting, OK ?

d=halfnote

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I`ll say this-PE is one of those bands where it`s easier to support their message than listen to the music. I`m good for a few songs then I`m done. But Chuck D is a straight shooter, and much needed where BS and double talk is the lingua franca. Big respect for him.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Rap is not my cup of tea...the second vid had me singing "somethings happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear" LOL! :cool:

Although ya kinda kicked by request aside, ya also demonstrated the effectiveness of their track-building musical skills for Skip, didn't ya ?

That's my point, if ya approach them simply from a "More hip-hop ? Meh..." stand, ya miss that they really got a bag O' tricks goin'.

But no debates, please.

Fans ?

d=halfnote

I`ll say this-PE is one of those bands where it`s easier to support their message than listen to the music. I`m good for a few songs then I`m done. But Chuck D is a straight shooter, and much needed where BS and double talk is the lingua franca. Big respect for him.

I think when ya actually listen to them , they're very catchy.

d=halfnote

Love PE! They cast a long shadow over the rap genre.

911 is a Joke, By the time I get to Arizona, and Bring the Noise (with Anthrax)- so many others simply kill it, IMHO.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Rap is not my cup of tea...the second vid had me singing "somethings happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear" LOL! :cool:

Although ya kinda kicked by request aside, ya also demonstrated the effectiveness of their track-building musical skills for Skip, didn't ya ?

That's my point, if ya approach them simply from a "More hip-hop ? Meh..." stand, ya miss that they really got a bag O' tricks goin'.

But no debates, please.

Fans ?

<---no debate here on that track building concept, as Steve was in on the action. I prefer the original though, as I'm more of a fan of the old genre...I appreciate Skips comments as well.
Take care, Larryz

Well, what would they sue abt ?

Stills wrote the tune & as © owner he controls its use, which he clearly endorses here by his participation in the vid.

Even Atco/Atlantic couldn't sue (should they wanna) b/c it's not the BSpringfield track ?

Geddit ?

Please note

BTW, if ya just got a shoulder chip abt hip-hop, please just skip commeting, OK ?
d=halfnote

Well, what would they sue abt ?

Stills wrote the tune & as © owner he controls its use, which he clearly endorses here by his participation in the vid.

Even Reprise Recs couldn't sue (should they wanna) b/c it's not the BSpringfield track ?

Geddit ?

BTW, if ya just got a shoulder chip abt hip-hop, please just skip commeting, OK ?

Nothing, I was editing my post to delete that part of my comments while you are typing in yours. My main comment is I do not care for rap (no chip intended) and that was my answer to your original question. I'll try not to comment in the future as long as you are not quoting me...

Take care, Larryz

What did you think of the 2 tracks above ?

I knew them as a fan from early tracks up through abt Black Planet alb then kinda lost track til I recently read Public Enemy / Inside the Terrordome by Tim Grierson, which does a good job of detailing their history w/ special emphasis on production methods.

Catching up on that I started dialing in more recent tracks & was pleasantly surprised that as they'd shifted outta the

I knew them as a fan from early tracks up through abt Black Planet alb then kinda lost track til I recently read Public Enemy / Inside the Terrordome by Tim Greirson, which does a good job of detailing their history w/ special emphasis on prduction methods.

Catching up on that I started dialing in more recent tracks & was pleasantly surprised that as they'd shifted outta the sample-dense BombSquad techniques (mostly b/c of the expense of licwensing), they'd adopted a more open sound.

Recent listening has also emphasized the musicality of Chuck D's delivery; he's extremely varied in his rhythms, for example.

Also it's redeemed the sometimes erratic Flav, who I never knew actually plays a multitude of instruments.

I've also seen that, while their social critique remains stern & real, their sense of humor is often missed by many.

The above Flav track [What Kinda Power We Got] epitomizes that but this one does, too, as well as addressing some who don't really know the band's work.

d=halfnote

Archived