Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

At first I thought Mars was attacking as I saw the streaking light across the sky. Then, I discovered that it was just an asteroid in close proximity.

Story here.

Get out your ION cannons!

Michael Oster

F7 Sound and Vision

ReGurgiTron - world\'s finest non functional electronics and lovely noise

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, that 30 meter object would have made quite a streak if it had touched our atmosphere. It came about as close as our highest satellites.

I watched the Int'l Space Station go over last night.

I have a Celestron 8 telescope, and we'll be on a campout the first weekend of April. I'm hoping for clear skies. My favorite objects are the planets, the Orion Nebula, and the Moon. Saturn especially looks great right now. :thu:

Originally posted by kylen:

I think it was just aliens searching for intelligent life...hehe

And notice how they just kept on going by.

Michael Oster

F7 Sound and Vision

ReGurgiTron - nothing intelligent to report here.

This kind of thing happens all the time, we're just getting more savvy about seeing them ahead of time.

Steve

You shouldn't chase after the past or pin your hopes on the future.

This reminded me of a George Carlin bit. Wouldn't this be a "near hit?"

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

What's great is that it was discovered on Monday. That's nice. It only highlights the problem with discovering the incoming objects. NASA has the program that's giving out two $3000 awards per year to anyone discovering a "rock" possibly on a collision course with earth. Imagine if that thing was bigger...say 1/4 of a mile across. Does the plan account for finding it that close on that short of notice?

Peace

If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

Originally posted by Abnorm:

I watched the Int'l Space Station go over last night.

A while ago, I posted something about seeing an object in the sky that had green and red blinking lights. It took several minutes to move through the sky only slightly, so it wasn't a jetliner. I wondered if perhaps it was the Hubble telescope, as it was during the recent close passing of Mars. Was that perhaps the space station?

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Archived