Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Black Ice Firewall upgrade ??

I have an older version of Black Ice Firewall, I've been testing out. Results are mixed, I was wondering if anyone has used the latest version upgrades and if it's worth the money. I like the basic layout and they way it functions, and so far, no hi-jacked browser problems, so it seems to be effective.

I find Zone Alarm free to be very annoying with pop-ups, and doesn't configure programs correctly and continues to pop up the same questions constantly.

Zone Alarm Pro demo, seems to conflict with some of my programs.

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, I downloaded Sygate and now have it running, so far it does look and act very well.

We'll see if my browser gets hacked now. I'm not too concerned as I'm planning a fresh install of XP later this week anyhow.

Living' in the shadow,

I used to run a windows based firewall program but trojans and worms came in anyway. I stopped using software based solutions and got myself a cable/dsl router ( Linksys BEFSR41 ) with built in firewall instead.

Eversince I got that, nothing nasty ever got in anymore. They're probably cheaper then firewall software as well, and a lot safer.

BTW you can test your firewall over here: https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Stirring shit up since 1968

The router firewall sounds like a good idea.

I tried the test site you posted and Black Ice won.

Sygate looks like a nice program too though.

Thanks for the info !!!!!

Living' in the shadow,

Originally posted by djwayne:

The router firewall sounds like a good idea.

I tried the test site you posted and Black Ice won.

Really? Black Ice has come under some heavy criticism from the guy who does the GRC website for misleading it's users into thinking that it works. Did you read his comments on Black Ice?

--

Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

I just read his comments now, interesting, as was Black Ice's reply.

You have to remember I'm comparing an older full version of Black Ice to SyGate's free version, so there are more settings on the full Black Ice version. With the stronger settings, more protection was demonstrated on the test I did. It also blocked out spam.

SyGate had a few problems that Black Ice didn't.

Anyhow, I'm running both and they seem to work well together. They both have their strong points.

Living' in the shadow,

Archived