Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The best 1st song from a debut album.

UnderGroundGr

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Either Cars by Gary Numan or Fantasy.

[video:youtube]

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

His debut album under his own name:

Ah, I was thinking of artists that were not really known before the debut album. But if we can go that way...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

[video:youtube]TMZi25Pq3T8

[video:youtube]ZbHJHPTikQA

[video:youtube]AnLfbEQvI9Y

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

Good song. Awful video.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eabefjsJsAQ

My band played that when it first came out. Great song. In my memory banks it shares space with some others I remember intently learning the keyboard parts to:

Whisper To A Scream

It's My Life

Tempted

Fashion

Metal

Kids In America

Something Going On

It was a great time to be a keyboardist!

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Let's not forget my sexy and talented Kate,,,

This introduced her amazing voice and talent in such a beautiful and shocking way.

Hear, hear!!!

I would have never taken you to be a Kate Bush fan. She's a Goddess.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Nora Jones "Don't Know Why"

I don't know why, but I really dislike that song.

In the meantime, I may not be that much of a Van Halen fan, but this was a great way for them to kick it off:

My pick is "Blue" by LeAnn Rimes.

I will go further, and say this is the greatest debut song in history, when it comes to an artist who was totally unknown at the time. Elvis had been performing and gaining press before any of his early hits. Same with the Beatles. LeAnn Rimes came out of nowhere, with an amazing song, sung with a vocal maturity not seen before from a 12 year old girl. It's really quite a remarkable recording.

favorite/best 1st song(the one that opened the first vinyl side) of the debut album of any band/artist.

Yet another thread where not everyone actually read the thread and answer the question that was actually posted. LOL :facepalm:

Our ambassador of goodwill strikes yet AGAIN!

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

favorite/best 1st song(the one that opened the first vinyl side) of the debut album of any band/artist.

Yet another thread where not everyone actually read the thread and answer the question that was actually posted. LOL :facepalm:

Our ambassador of goodwill strikes yet AGAIN!

I had to stay after school yesterday and write "I will read and follow directions" 200 times on the blackboard. :laugh:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Let's not forget my sexy and talented Kate,,,

This introduced her amazing voice and talent in such a beautiful and shocking way.

Hear, hear!!!

I would have never taken you to be a Kate Bush fan. She's a Goddess.

Really? I worship her!

She is not only an amazing musician and singer, but she brought so much theatrics into her performance. Just watch her videos. She is truly a renaissance woman.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I'll suggest Child's Anthem off Toto's debut is worthy of mention.

One of my favorites off their debut, along with (OT) Girl Goodbye.

Hardware

Yamaha DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1/Roland VR-760/Hydrasynth Deluxe/

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 5/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX

"Precious" by the Pretenders. Few albums match this for all-killer, no filler. Still sounds great today.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Either Cars by Gary Numan or Fantasy.

I'll see your Hair Band and raise you one Derivative Hair Band Gen2 ... a power play I like to call "El Dooblay"

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

"Ants Marching" was not the opening track from that album. Perhaps you meant "The Best of What's Around," which is still one of my favorite DMB tunes.

Hardware

Yamaha DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1/Roland VR-760/Hydrasynth Deluxe/

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 5/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX

OK

Doors - Break on Through

Mothers of Invention - Hungry Freaks Daddy

Zappa got to me first through his lyrics - " Mr. America walk on by, YOUR SCHOOLS THAT DO NOT TEACH"

My "education" was officially over from that moment on.....

Aldo Nova? Night Ranger? That's not hair metal, THIS is hair metal! [video:youtube]

Much less hairy, Chris Isaak:

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Definitely agree with the Doors, Break on Through. I remember that coming out as a kid, took the town by storm.

Vision of Love by Mariah Carey deserves some mention. That was pretty epic and influential in terms of mainstream pop.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Archived