Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The best 1st song from a debut album.

UnderGroundGr

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think "Just What I Needed" was their first hit, but The Cars debut album was loaded with other favorites for me:

[video:youtube]

Always liked the synth into with this one:

You could pretty much pick any song from the album, and it would have made my list!

I think "Just What I Needed" was their first hit, but The Cars debut album was loaded with other favorites for me:

Always liked the synth into with this one:

Per the rules of the contest - the first track was Good Times Roll, a huge and important hit from their MONSTER debut album that reset the definition of rock as it was then understood. (much bigger than you're fave UR All I've Got 2Nite", which I also like).

I did a Cars tribute for about 2 yrs. We played 8 of the 9 tracks off of that album regularly, all great songs. It is very hard to find any album with 8 songs worthy of being considered a hit (note, not all were hits as not all were released as singles).

Excellent selection for the contest, indeed. thank you!

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Let's not forget my sexy and talented Kate,,,

This introduced her amazing voice and talent in such a beautiful and shocking way.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Great music in this thread! My submission is ELP's Knife Edge

[video:youtube]SPmpKhd3hXs

Except that Knife Edge is not the first song on that album... The Barbarian is...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

...and let's not forget Sooki Sooki They still open their concerts with this one.

Great song!

Man... so many!

Don't Love You No More.... followed immediately by Ain't My Cross To Bear...

This really told us what the brothers were about! Everything from that swing blues feel, to the arrangement with the solos, to the sound of Gregg's Hammond, Dwayne and Dickie's distinctive guitar styles, the two drum sets, and of course the amazing unison and harmonic lines.... then straight into THE BLUES with Gregg's voice.

This album changed my life!

[video:youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_4PSnont54I

its fun to look back at bands that when I was young seemed to hit the music world like a flaming meteor and (re-)discover it was really their 3rd or 4th album that set them afire. some of these bands, I've still never heard their first couple lps. memory fades, sigh ...
The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Yet another thread where not everyone actually read the thread and answer the question that was actually posted. LOL :facepalm:

I knew we weren't smarter than the average beer :cheers:

Don't blame our colleagues, it was a confusing topic...

Let's see. THE BEST 1ST SONG FROM A DEBUT ALBUM....

Does it have to be vinyl?

Off course not...also the 1st of cd or cassette... :)

All songs you posted are great, it's difficult to choose...a seminar of great music and songwriting... :laugh:

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen,Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9,Osmose

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

favorite/best 1st song(the one that opened the first vinyl side) of the debut album of any band/artist.

Yet another thread where not everyone actually read the thread and answer the question that was actually posted. LOL :facepalm:

That being said, limiting it to the debut album is too restrictive, IMO. However, it is what it is, so I'll suggest Child's Anthem off Toto's debut is worthy of mention.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOl9QiIhYA0

Great song. One of the best of Toto !!!

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen,Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9,Osmose

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

{Society's Child}

Cool remake of the Janis Ian song. Kind of reminds me of the kind of thing Vanilla Fudge would do.

As an aside, Janis Ian's album "Breaking Silence" is terrific.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Since I didn't follow the directions the first time, I'll try this again. This has always been a favorite song of mine from the 80's.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Oh yeah! The double keyboard/vocals of Mike Harrison and Gary Moore... great song!

{Society's Child}

Cool remake of the Janis Ian song. Kind of reminds me of the kind of thing Vanilla Fudge would do.

As an aside, Janis Ian's album "Breaking Silence" is terrific.

Spooky Tooth played a number of great covers... check out their version of I Am The Walrus.

Spooky Tooth played a number of great covers... check out their version of I Am The Walrus.

Agreed. I just listened to that again recently, and often use it as an example to music students of what makes a great cover.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

Archived