Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The best 1st song from a debut album.

UnderGroundGr

I want you to wright your opinion about your favorite/best 1st song(the one that opened the first vinyl side) of the debut album of any band/artist.

My beloved is "Break on through" of Doors.

(The song socked me back in 1985 when i listened for the first time "I wanna be somebody" from the debut album of W.A.S.P...) :rawk:

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen,Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9,Osmose

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ambrosia: Nice, Nice, Very Nice

[video:youtube]

As soon as I saw the thread title, this is exactly where my thoughts went, and immediatly had that song, beautiful song, running through my mind, you beat me to it! I wore out my copy of that album back in the day, and still put the cd on when I need a lift.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

[video:youtube]Cj-H6UkKJFI

Hard to beat this one!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

"More Than a Feeling" was a great way to kick off Boston's debut album.

I remember the first time I heard that song, I stopped in my tracks and thought "this is a game changer" I still love that song even after hearing it 10^32 times at least.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

{21st Century Schizoid Man}

Hard to beat this one!

Funny, that was the only song on the album that I didn't like! I used to start the album with the 2nd song. Good riffs, but ugly fuzz vocal verses and the kooky improv in the middle... not for me. I know, not a popular opinion ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I think "Just What I Needed" was their first hit, but The Cars debut album was loaded with other favorites for me:

Always liked the synth into with this one:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

"Good Times, Bad Times"

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Does it have to be vinyl? I remember this one immediately signaling to me that something special was happening here. Couldn't wait to hear the next song(s).

I wish she hadn't smoked her way into oblivion.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ofJ-SN7EZE

This album had everything, great songs, an unique style and sound made by an even better trio.

At home we were into rock, blues and soul, but we immidiatly agreed this was special.

We bought the next albums too and the Police was among the favourite records on our turntable.

Oeps allready mentioned.....sorry !!

favorite/best 1st song(the one that opened the first vinyl side) of the debut album of any band/artist.

Yet another thread where not everyone actually read the thread and answer the question that was actually posted. LOL :facepalm:

That being said, limiting it to the debut album is too restrictive, IMO. However, it is what it is, so I'll suggest Child's Anthem off Toto's debut is worthy of mention.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOl9QiIhYA0

Yeah, I followed the rules and stuck with debut albums. Best first tracks on *any* albums opens up a huge number of additional possibilities...! I think the "debut album" qualifier was an interesting twist on this kind of thing, since so many favorites hit their stride later.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

So many great songs from debut albums that spring to mind are the LAST track. I wonder why such strong material is saved for last; you'd think the artists would want to grab your attention with the goodies first.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

Yeah, I followed the rules and stuck with debut albums. Best first tracks on *any* albums opens up a huge number of additional possibilities...! I think the "debut album" qualifier was an interesting twist on this kind of thing, since so many favorites hit their stride later.

Which also raises into question the idea of a "debut album." First major label LP? First independent LP? EP? The three local records the band put out before their big break?

Endlessly debatable...

Archived