Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Weirdest blues summit you'll ever see

d  halfnote

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen those before. They were always cool.

There's also some footage(gotta be SOMEwhere) of B.B. jammin' with Jeff, Van Morrison and TOM JONES of all people!

It was shot indoors somewhere, but not a live performance in front of an audience.

B.B. loved everyone and everyone loved B.B. Check out(if ya ain't already) his "Deuces Wild" CD. :)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Yeah, Fang but that's not weird.

Those clips above are just weird.

Although some may not give him proper accord, Tom Jones was/is a great singer, although afflicted with something that might be called, at least by me or someone like me, "reverse Natalie Merchant syndrome".

Anyhow here's what yer axin'

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97MZWlkLpHw

Note how Van steers the direction both by his vox & his crazy wavin' arm & how Tom responds.

Special note to guitarists, Jeff's best interjection is early on at abt :12...a lick he repeats starting his solo, which itself features a great tremolo blitz at abt 1:27... :rawk:

BTW, that's not Elvis Costello on pno :laugh:

FWIW, there's more Beck & Jones & Van stuff there too...just be lookin' for it, 'cause , y'know, from the lookin' comes the seein' & hence come the bein'....

d=halfnote

I don't know what Natalie Merchant's syndrome is, she's been fine the times I've worked with her, but Tom Jones is a powerhouse blues singer. He did a blues album a few years back which should allay any credibility concerns anybody might have. He started out with some very commercial pop hits long ago, but he came from a working class coal town in Wales, the kind of place that knows something about the blues.
Scott Fraser

I called it NM Syndrome b/c she's got that thing of being, hip & all with that Grateful Dead field dancing, better respected than her talent supports whereas Tom Jones slides off the deck into "Lulu land" (no respect fer bein' too pop).

I coulda picked many other examples & prolly sneaked by.

Nat is talented (plus she gave Jen :rawk: Turner her big break) & I picked her semi-randomly, prolly 'cause I'd just been watchin' her vid for "These Are The Daze".

There I said it !

I'm a closet Nat Merch fan !

d=halfnote

Nobody ever failed to give Tom Jones "props" for being a great singer( and a comparison of sorts, another white guy everybody at first thought was black) but true too, is most people's lack of knowledge of his blues and soul background. They all think "It's Not Unusual" was ALWAYS his typical stuff.

Y'know, there ARE many people who never knew GEORGE BENSON was a "straight-up" JAZZ guitarist before he EVER became a "pop" singer! Believing "On Broadway" was the FIRST time he ever was in a recording studio. :o

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Archived