Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Digital/Stage Pianos with the lightest actions.

UnderGroundGr

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yamaha CP5 is the lightest DP I've felt. I still like it for at home but after having the CP4 for going on 3 years, live, I prefer it to the CP5.

The only DP action that ever bothered my hands and wrists was the Roland RD700GX. I got rid of that real fast.

On a short play at NAMM, I liked the new Roland RD2000. The term "light" doesn't usually enter into my mind/hands while I'm playing a DP for the first time.

It's more about that it feels (and sounds) "right ".

If it's in your budget and moving it around isn't an issue - I'd at least give it a try when it becomes more readily available. Again, I found it impressive on my initial time with it.

The new wood Fatar action on the Nord Piano 3 is good too. You might like that. Its seems to be a favorite among people that are more comfortable on electronic keyboards as opposed to those coming from an acoustic piano background.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

• 7 months later...

Today i play a Casio PX-160. I like the action very much. I think i will buy it.

If anyone can tell me a a new model to play(in this price range) i am waiting to know...

I want to play yamaha P45,P115 and Kawai ES100 before my final decision...

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen,Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9,Osmose

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

I understand why a light action would be sought after. But wouldn't a heavier action digital piano make it easier to transition to an acoustic piano? I myself find it challenging practising on a yamaha p95 and then moving to an acoustic piano.

The lightest one I can recall trying was on the Nord Stage 2 (weighted one) and it felt pretty much like the Nord Piano. My old acoustic spinet has a really light action so I tend to prefer light actions on digitals (though this maybe something I should address!)

The Kawaii mp11 felt very nice, not sure it was "light" but it sure was nice. I also liked the "better" Yamaha actions on the p255, cp4, Motif weighted, s90 etc. I realize these may not all use the same actions, but I liked all of them and I'd put them on the lighter side.

Flip side, the Kurzweil weighted actions on the SP series and most Rolands, I feel like I'm playing in mud. Just feels like the keys don't come back quickly enough. Granted, I think I'm more talking about the cheaper Roland actions as on the RD-64 (which otherwise I was excited about).

The absolute worst one I've tried (other than some of the REALLY cheap weighted controllers) was the action on the Krome. Good gravy.

I understand why a light action would be sought after. But wouldn't a heavier action digital piano make it easier to transition to an acoustic piano?

Acoustics vary as much as digitals. Most acoustics I've played have felt lighter than most hammer-action digitals.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I gave up on most modern DPs. Action on most of them are too heavy and the keys don't come back fast enough which limits some playing techniques. Some of them play like the Rhodes I used to own back in the 1980s with spongy action. I had to sell my Yamaha P-90 because I kept getting finger splits after playing it. I now have a Korg home DP that isn't too bad.

Once you play a real piano you'll notice the difference. And some of the Yamaha pianos are STILL too stiff.

Now my old Kurzweil MIDIBoard - the Japanese model with Hammond-Suzuki wood keyset - THAT plays like butter, more like an AP.

Not a DP, but one of the nicest piano actions is my ARP 16 voice piano. Shame it was unreliable and noisy though, but I'm made some improvements on mine and have more modifications on the way. The Chroma has weighted action but it is a simpler mechanism and doesn't feel the same.

I understand why a light action would be sought after. But wouldn't a heavier action digital piano make it easier to transition to an acoustic piano?

Acoustics vary as much as digitals. Most acoustics I've played have felt lighter than most hammer-action digitals.

This. My Roland RD-800 at home requires more effort to play than the Steinway D at work.

It's been my experience that well-regulated acoustic grands are usually easier to play than digital pianos, and that's true for a number of reasons. Although touch weight is a handy metric for the sake of comparison, the terms "light" and "heavy" come up short when comparing actions.

Dennis

This. My Roland RD-800 at home requires more effort to play than the Steinway D at work.

It's been my experience that well-regulated acoustic grands are usually easier to play than digital pianos, and that's true for a number of reasons. Although touch weight is a handy metric for the sake of comparison, the terms "light" and "heavy" come up short when comparing actions.

That has been my experience also, they don't necessarily translate . .

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

...You can adjust the velocity curve to your liking.
Velocity curve is a very important variable that, when correctly dialed in, can make a significant difference in the "feel" of a digital keyboard's action.
Dennis

Archived