Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guinness is good for you Happy St. Pat's

Guinness: A Sippin Good Health

March 17, 2004

By KEVIN HUNT, The Hartford Courant

A man walks into a bar, orders a 12-ounce bottle of Corona Extra. Another man walks in, orders a 12-ounce Guinness draft.

The two men turn to each other, raise their glasses and say, "Here's to your health."

Question: Whose dietary and health interests are better served by the 12-ounce beer?

If the guidelines are less alcohol, fewer calories, fewer carbohydrates and, to top it off, protection against heart attacks, blindness and maybe even impotence, then it's the Guinness drinker, hands down.

No joke.

Guinness, in fact, is lower in alcohol, calories and carbohydrates than Samuel Adams, Budweiser, Heineken and almost every other major-brand beer not classified as light or low-carb. It has fewer calories and carbohydrates than low-fat milk and orange juice, too.

Could this be the same Irish stout that looks like a still-life root-beer float and tastes about as filling as a quarter-pounder with cheese?

Yes, the same Guinness that beer expert Michael Jackson (this MJ, the British king of hops, has recognizable human facial features) calls the world's classic dry stout. It's a favorite of Bono (obviously), Madonna (with a good cigar) and Matt Damon (no, Guinness does not make teeth unnaturally white).

This tastes-great, more-filling formula defies nutritional expectations because Guinness is so low in alcohol, a source of empty calories. Guinness is 4.2 percent alcohol by volume, the same as Coors Light. Budweiser and Heineken check in at 5 percent.

"That surprised me," says Dr. Joseph Brennan, a Yale-New Haven Hospital cardiologist of Irish heritage and a confirmed Guinness drinker.

"I could never understand why one or two wouldn't leave me light-headed."

Brennan, like many cardiologists, recommends a drink a day for his cardiac patients. Red wine, in particular, has been shown to help prevent heart attacks. Now maybe it's beer's turn. A University of Wisconsin study last fall found that moderate consumption of Guinness worked like aspirin to prevent clots that increase the risk of heart attacks.

In the study, Guinness proved twice as effective as Heineken at preventing blood clots. Guinness is loaded with flavonoids, antioxidants that give the dark color to many fruits and vegetables.

These antioxidants are better than vitamins C and E, the study found, at keeping bad LDL cholesterol from clogging arteries. Blocked arteries also contributes to erectile dysfunction, as does overindulgence in alcohol.

Guinness has a higher concentration than lighter beers of vitamin B, which lowers levels of homocysteine, linked to clogged arteries. And researchers have found that antioxidants from the moderate use of stout might reduce the incidence of cataracts by as much as 50 percent.

It's milk's line, but beer gives you strong bones, too.

"The reason, we think, is that beer is a major contributor to the diet of silicon," says Katherine Tucker, an associate professor of nutritional epidemiology at Tufts University's Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy.

Tucker recently participated in a study that showed beer, either dark or light, protects bone-mineral density because of its high levels of silicon, which allows the deposit of calcium and other minerals into bone tissue.

In Ireland, where the slogan "Guinness Is Good for You" was born, the stout's medicinal uses are the stuff of legend. Diageo, the U.S. distributor of Guinness, makes no claims about its medical benefits, says spokeswoman Beth Davies from the company's offices in Stamford.

But a visitor to Ireland might hear accounts (most no longer, if ever, true) of Guinness administered to nursing mothers, blood donors, stomach and intestinal post-operative patients and mothers recovering from childbirth.

"Pregnant women and racehorses, one a day," says Michael Foley of Wethersfield, standing over a pint of Guinness in the subterranean bar at the Irish American Home Society in Glastonbury.

Racehorses?

Foley, who left Castlemaine, County Kerry, 43 years ago but retains a Guinness-thick brogue, returns a cocked-head glance that says, loosely translated from Gaelic, "Duh."

"It's made from barley, you know," he says.

True. Roasted and malted barley (it gives Guinness its deep ruby color), hops, yeast and water from the Wicklow Mountains, south of Dublin. Guinness gets its rich, creamy head from a mixture of nitrogen and carbon dioxide when dispensed from a tap.

Our man who ordered that 12-ounce Guinness obviously wasn't in an Irish pub, which serves the stout in a 20-ounce imperial-pint glass after a deliberate, often agonizing, two-part pour that allows the beer to settle. But if he knows what's good for him, maybe he'll stick around for one more.

"Most health research," says Tucker, "suggests that benefits, including protection against heart disease, are noted with up to one drink per day for women and up to two a day for men. Above this amount, the negative effects of alcohol seem to outweigh the positive effects."

http://www.themayocks.com

Hear The Mayocks on Rhapsody and Itunes

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, I'm enjoying a pint of it right now. No kidding. I was getting ready for bed, and wanted a snack, so I decided to help meself to a wee bit o'the corned beef, potatoes and cabbage me wife made yesterday. And a pint.

If there's a better beer, I wouldn't admit to it. :D Guinness is like mother's milk to we Irish. :wave:

Rog,

do you celebrate St. George's Day?

Not to take anything away from St.Patrick & the Irish but I find it a little annoying that so many people go wild for St.Patrick's but not for St.George, St.Andrew or St.David's Days.

Tonight I will no doubt be pouring lots of pints of Guinness to people who don't usually drink it and are not Irish.

By the way, I'm an expert at drawing a shamrock on top of a pint whilst pouring it!

Originally posted by Rog:

I'm on my second pint and I'm at work.

I'm not even Irish :D

Rog, today, EVERYONE'S Irish. That's the beauty of Saint Patrick's Day. We Irish are an equal opportunity people - we share ourholiday with everyone. Even the Scots. :eek::D

John, you left off St Alban. ;)

Originally posted by flyscots:

Rog,

do you celebrate St. George's Day?

Not to take anything away from St.Patrick & the Irish but I find it a little annoying that so many people go wild for St.Patrick's but not for St.George, St.Andrew or St.David's Days.

Tonight I will no doubt be pouring lots of pints of Guinness to people who don't usually drink it and are not Irish.

By the way, I'm an expert at drawing a shamrock on top of a pint whilst pouring it!

I don't celebrate any saint's day but I'm a guiness drinker anyway.

Luckily, we got a few free cases delivered to work, people are walking around the office with pints in their hands, I'm sat in the studio merrily mixing away.

:thu:

Wasn't St. Patrick Welsh anyway?

"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

We Irish are an equal opportunity people - we share ourholiday with everyone. Even the Scots. :eek::D

I thought you were American? ;)
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

Actually yes, he was.

It's all good Rog - enjoy your pint and have a nice mix! :D

Damn right! :D:thu:

Another few and I might start posting about politics ;)

Now you're REALLY starting to sound Irish! :D

warrayertalkinabarrrt?

Originally posted by Rog:

Luckily, we got a few free cases delivered to work, people are walking around the office with pints in their hands, I'm sat in the studio merrily mixing away.

Well you can't argue with that can you!? :thu:

Except, make sure you get free deliveries on every saints day!

If you're celebrating or drinking Guueuuerrrrnnsshhsss (to give it it's correct pronunciation - ask a drunken Irishman ;) ) for any reason, have fun and be safe!

I'm one of those damned Krauts but I'll be having a pint or two of the Guinness, along with the corned beef & cabbage, my own self this evening when I get home. :D

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Originally posted by Mats Olsson.:

Ok, so it's not Irish, but its green and brilliant: meet the beertender!

/Mats

THAT, filled with Guinness Stout or Draught would be just fine, teng ewe beddy mush.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

"Bless me Father, for I have sinned.. I have been with a loose woman."

The priest asks, "Is that you little Tommy Shauhnessy?"

"Yes, Father, it is".

"And, who was the woman you were with?"

"Surely I can't be tellin you, Father. I don't want to ruin her

reputation."

"Well Tommy, I'm sure to find out sooner or later, so you may as well

tell me now.

Was it Brenda O'Malley?"

" I cannot say Father.

"Was it Patricia Kelly?"

"I'll never tell."

"Was it Liz Shannon?"

"I'm sorry Father, but I can't name her."

"Was it Cathy Morgan?"

"My lips are sealed Father."

"Was it Fiona McDonald, then?"

"Please Father, I cannot tell you."

The priest sighs in frustration. "You're a steadfast lad, Tommy

Shaughnessy, and I admire that. But You've sinned, and you must atone

for your ways. You cannot attend church mass for three months.

Be off with you now."

Tommy walks back to his pew. His friend Sean slides over and whispers,

"What'd you get?"

Tommy answers, "Three months vacation and five good leads."

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

:D

But a visitor to Ireland might hear accounts (most no longer, if ever, true) of Guinness administered to nursing mothers, blood donors, stomach and intestinal post-operative patients and mothers recovering from childbirth.

thats all pretty true. even still, future mothers are recommended to drink a glass (1/2 pint) of the piss-tasting stuff occasionally.

The Blood Transfusion Board always offer you a bottle of it after donating a pint of blood. (which seems like a reasonable proposition - a pint for you and a pint for me!)

Screw Atkins! Go on the Guinness diet!

I'm about 8 hours from a pint meself. Happy St. Pats day all.

christ...that couldnt be recommended - the stuff makes you as constipated as a gnat with the munchies

Rog, today, EVERYONE'S Irish. That's the beauty of Saint Patrick's Day. We Irish are an equal opportunity people - we share ourholiday with everyone. Even the Scots
we do? if my memory of yesterday is correct we don't really do anything except go to the pub far too early...

Its hilarious really - without Americans making a whole lot of whoop, St Patricks day would barely exist (or at least would be on the same level of St Georges Day or St Andrews Day). Really, it isn't all that a big thing here anymore..but all "you irish" that were born in america seem to like it..

And whadda you mean "Even the scots"? - we're from the same blood as scoltand and have always had common foes (those damn english! :mad:;) ). everybody loves a scotsman here!

Wasn't St. Patrick Welsh anyway?
yeah, typical. some rich irish tw*t kidnaps a welsh kid, makes him a slave, leaves him on the side of a small hill to look after sheep and then we celebrate it by getting drunk...
Visit my band : www.neonfleacircus.net or www.myspace.com/neonfleacircus

Archived