Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

We've come to the conclusion that the Political Party needs a moderator. It's totally out of control in there - decorum that would get a body banned were it displayed anywhere else here.

I'm offering my services. I spend a fair amount of time in there (picking through the mess to find the good debates, usually) and I don't see anything wrong with taking on a little "cleanup chores" while I'm there. Quick, before I come to my senses! :eek:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Groovepusher Sly:

I just took a peek at the topics, looks pretty sane to me. I'm just glad all that B.S. isn't messing up this forum. I say let 'em have at it. Looks like it keeps 'em busy.

Sly :cool:

CHEERS TO YOU!

yes I and so glad all that crap is out of here.

and hey, why do we need a moderator there any way , .. just let it run , I am kinda interested how well "welf goverment" would work anyway.

Kevin NEmrava

Most successful internet boards end up having a flames forum... it can be a good place to let the more volatile members play, as long as they can keep it there. I have seen moderation attempted, but it usually doesn't help.

Drfuzz

"I'm just here to regulate the funkiness"

While I agree that that forum could be valuable with a little policing (and nothing personal about you in particular, Scott), but how would you discern between threads that are purely meant to be disruptive versus those with which you just don't agree?

I don't think I could do this with a complete lack of bias, and I'm not sure anyone else could either.

- Jeff

About the only thing I could see a moderator doing over there is trying to reduce the amount of personal attacks and name calling. Beyond that, I think it would be difficult to moderate. Scott, if you want to help over there, I think that would be cool, but bro, I think you should reconsider. Are you sure you want the headaches? I personally try to stay away from that forum because of the lack of civility and the small percentage of reasoned debate and discussion vs flames and name calling.

Exactly.

Scott, how would you have handled the thread where you'd accused someone of Photoshopping that anti-Jewish sign (that turned out to be real)? Would the moderator status have changed anything?

Perhaps not. But I agree with Phil...moderating that mess seems like a full-time gig with little or no reward, and lots of folks having arrows aimed at you waiting for the first action for which they'd scream, "Bias!"

Doesn't sound fun.

- Jeff

I also offered to moderate that forum, too. I prefer anarchy in there, but some of it is just plain stupid.

It wouldn't be that hard to moderate. Personal attack threads, intentional disruption threads, and intentional flooding are the ones that are eating up bandwidth and annoy the reasonable people there. And it obvious which are which.

I don't really advocate moderating the contents of the threads, just deleting the obvious bullshit threads.

Jeff - my basic tenet would be to eliminate the direct personal mudslinging that's been popping up here of late - there've been a number of threads started with titles like "How WOW sees the world" and "Mr. Jazz Guy loves Whistelpimp" that have no business on any forum.

If you want to turn everyone loose down there, then we should change the name of the forum to "Free-For-All" or "Mosh Pit" or something, and include a description on the main page to the effect of "no holds barred flame-fest" - so no one is confused about its real purpose.

It was supposed to be about politics and other hotbutton topics, not about childish namecalling and mudslinging.

Hello Scott!

I have never had the chance to talk to you but I do appreciate your music and technology related posts.

However your posts at the SSSPP are always clearly in just one side of the coin. That would not be so healthy for you or the other forumites since, as Jeff as wisely said, everybody will spend their energies to attack you in an unnecessary way.

Maybe and only MAYBE, we might have ONE Democrat and ONE Republican moderating that forum !

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Originally posted by Gus Lozada:

Hello Scott!

I have never had the chance to talk to you but I do appreciate your music and technology related posts.

Thanks, I try. :)

However your posts at the SSSPP are always clearly in just one side of the coin. That would not be so healthy for you or the other forumites since, as Jeff as wisely said, everybody will spend their energies to attack you in an unnecessary way.

Maybe and only MAYBE, we might have ONE Democrat and ONE Republican moderating that forum !

I think Stranger and I are both on the same page here about how to go about "moderating" down there - delete the totally irrelevant personal attack threads and let the rest go.

I'm definitely not interested in censoring one political viewpoint - and as far as the condition of the forum, I think there's plenty of blame to be spread across both sides of the "aisle" :)

Originally posted by Griffinator:

If you want to turn everyone loose down there, then we should change the name of the forum to "Free-For-All" or "Mosh Pit" or something, and include a description on the main page to the effect of "no holds barred flame-fest" - so no one is confused about its real purpose.

ROTFL!!! :D:P:wave:

Now that would be funny!

Do you think we could get the WWF involved?

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Wha' happened to I'm outta' here.

The tenet of a flame thread board is already in play.

It's obvious we all can choose which subjects or person(s) to engage and the reason there is an SSS in the first place is for the purpose it functions as, at least so far.

Having been away from the boards for many months, I found that side issues are assignated now to SSS, a good move by MPN.

So three snaps and a swirll for leaving it to flame on... as in "sans a moderate'inator.

Rob

Label on the reverb, inside 1973 Ampeg G-212: "Folded Line Reverberation Unit" Manufactured by beautiful girls in Milton WIS. under controlled atmosphere conditions.

Originally posted by Griffinator:

I think Stranger and I are both on the same page here about how to go about "moderating" down there - delete the totally irrelevant personal attack threads and let the rest go.

I'm definitely not interested in censoring one political viewpoint - and as far as the condition of the forum, I think there's plenty of blame to be spread across both sides of the "aisle" :)

Actually I did not mean you would make a political censorship work... but since everybody can see your preferences, they will not let you in peace, trying to find if you deleted that because you agree with wow or the jazzy guy, etc.

Believe this, from someone moderating a non political forum which happens to be attacked just because I do work for an audio / MI company :rolleyes:

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

That's the best analogy.

People like me, Gus and others who work for audio manufacturers have to be ten times as careful as most folks to not appear biased in our responses involving the companies for whom we work or their competition.

Scott, I think you're a smart guy, and could indeed tell the difference between Mr. Jazz's (and others') attacks versus a political argument. But the very first time you close a thread where even the slightest amount of bias in opinion could be assumed (even wrongly), you're going to have arrows coming at you from all directions.

While I'd prefer that forum to be useful (and usable) via the moderating of which you speak, I sure as hell wouldn't want to be the person doing he moderating. Your mileage, as always, may vary. :)

- Jeff

Originally posted by Gus Lozada:

Actually I did not mean you would make a political censorship work... but since everybody can see your preferences, they will not let you in peace, trying to find if you deleted that because you agree with wow or the jazzy guy, etc.

And they would probably be right. Good intentions are not an antitode to bias.

I know I'm just a cat, but if you ask me, limiting users to the number of new threads they can start in one day, say, no user can start more than one new thread a day, would go a long way to cleaning up the mess. An unruly thread here and there seems fine. It's when it become 50 unruly threads in a row from the same person that the forum becomes dead in the water.

Dooby Dooby Doo

Originally posted by Philter:

A moderator in a room of idiots is not going to result in adult behavior. That place turned into a troll magnet; it sucks.

You're right, sucks trolls away from the good forums into "troll-land" HAHAHA!!! Once in awhile, for entertainment, we can watch. Or if it gets slow, toss in a piece of raw meat for them to fight over. I mean, ya gotta keep it good there...otherwise they'll start coming back here.

HAHA...(Huge, booming, echoing voice) HEAR YE, TROLLS, YOU EXIST SOLELY FOR THE PURPOSE OF OUR ENTERTAINMENT!

:D

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I think the personal attacks over there detract so much from any valid points that even reading stuff in there tedious. Couple that with the unpleasant 'tude of some of the posters and it makes the place just a troll trap. I hoped for so much more, but I guess I knew where it was gonna go.
I really don't know what to put here.

Moderating that forum would be a full-time job with no pay, for a very limited number of people who would actually be appreciative.

A significant part of the problem remains people who respond to troll threads. "If you build it, they will come." Well, if you ignore it, they will go away.

Scott, are you by any chance a masochist?

My concern is that once a moderator is in there, he/she/it/they become a lightning rod for even more dissension. Then the topics will start on "why did that thread get deleted" and so on. A moderator would have to be willing to spend a huge amount of time, do Draconian editing, and be prepared to watch things spiral even more out of control.

I really, really appreciate your volunteering to do this, but for now, I think the SSS Political Forum should seek its own level. I urge those who don't like particular threads and posters to ignore both, hard as it may be.

Of course, this is always subject to change...we'll see what happens.

Archived