Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Things we didnt want to exist but now cant live without.

Baldwin Funster

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Women.

I'm really sorry for that, but it was too funny to pass up. :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Back-up cameras and lane departure warnings.

They were in "the package" if I wanted USB audio and leather seats on my new car, and I wanted those badly. Now I can't drive comfortably without them.

Back in 1983 it was aftertouch. I thought it was a worthless marketing gimmick.

Until I tried it.

I have to agree with iPads. I started with an iPod and several incarnations into it I finally broke down ad got an iPhone. Wife and I got each other Apple watches for our anniversary a couple of years ago, and my most recent thing was a MacBook Pro. Have definitely drank the Kool-Aid at this point. But even when I just had an iPod and a Motorola Razor flip phone, I couldn't see the need for an iPad. Now, it's hard to go without it. I use it for most of my net surfing, music listening, reading, news feeds, Facebook (another evil), and playing around with all the cool iPad music apps. Who would've thought it would become that big of a part of my life. Scary!

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

No better example than backup cameras, good catch there Bill H.

I was convinced it was a gimmick and just something else that would malfunction on cars.

Like you say, getting in our old 2005 minivan I feel completely blind behind me, despite the fact I can turn and look and use the side mirrors.

For kicks when we bought our small, cheap Audi (wife's midlife crisis car...means no keyboards for me any time soon...) we checked out a big, huge Audi SUV. It had the most incredible camera system I could imagine...all the cameras were combined into an overhead view (via software I guess)...so as you drove it, you could see the car and surrounding as if there was a camera hovering 15 feet over the car. It was incredible.

Smart phones. I'll admit I thought they were ridiculous, and I use mine as much as anyone, especially for gps. Although, seeing people glued to them constantly (while driving even) makes me wonder if they really are a great idea...

Back-up cameras and lane departure warnings.

They were in "the package" if I wanted USB audio and leather seats on my new car, and I wanted those badly. Now I can't drive comfortably without them.

Back in 1983 it was aftertouch. I thought it was a worthless marketing gimmick.

Until I tried it.

The first thing I did after I purchased my last car was disable the lane departure warning!

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

I hadn't given it a second thought until I drove a car with it - blind spot warning. A close second would be 180° reverse camera for those times when you are backing out and a parked SUV is blocking your view of oncoming traffic.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Sat nav. I remember thinking it was lazy and pathetic to not read a map (and this from someone who was always getting lost on the way to or, especially, coming back home from gigs. ) I resisted it for years and then......

How on earth did I ever manage without it????.

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Agree on iPads and iPhones. Especially the iPhone. Thousands of dollars worth of different technology replaced by one sleek pocketsized device.

(GPS, games, metronome, tuner, phone, camera, watch, music player, notebook ). Incredible.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

To take it back even further...keyless entry. I remember as a young adult thinking it was frivolous. Now? Lord, save me from the dark ages should I have to insert a physical key into my car door!
Live rig: Roland FA-08, Yamaha MOTIF ES 6, laptop for supplemental sounds.

I hadn't given it a second thought until I drove a car with it - blind spot warning. A close second would be 180° reverse camera for those times when you are backing out and a parked SUV is blocking your view of oncoming traffic.

Now, the blind spot warning on my car is great!

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

To take it back even further...keyless entry. I remember as a young adult thinking it was frivolous. Now? Lord, save me from the dark ages should I have to insert a physical key into my car door!
I thought it was great that I didn't have to stick the key in the door but just push a button. Then, I drove a car where I don't have to take the key/fob out to unlock the door nor start the car! My wife's new car has this and I'm jealous. :cry:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I thought it was great that I didn't have to stick the key in the door but just push a button. Then, I drove a car where I don't have to take the key/fob out to unlock the door nor start the car! My wife's new car has this and I'm jealous. :cry:

Mine does too (2017 Outback). I love it.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Archived