Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Small sized mainstage controller

Bachus

I am still looking for a good smallsized mainstage controller...

what controllers are people using?

Are they all masterkeyboards?

Or does anyone else use a normall Keyboard (kronos in my case) and wants to add some specific mainstage controll to that, by adding a keyless daw-controller..

This one might be interesting : DJ techtools midi-fighter twister

Espescially in my case where i can allways use the sliders on the kronos... if needed.

Any one else got a good idea about a small high end controller with feedback?

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha Tyros5 (76), Integra 7, macbook pro/mainstage

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it depends on what you need to do, doesn't it? Some parameters want a slider, some a button. Pads are nice for triggering notes or sequences.

I use my Roland A800 Pro as a controller for my laptop rig it has all those controls. But I also have a Korg NanoKontrol for when I use a rental keyboard.

I was using a NanoKontrol during my brief Mainstage foray :) My big StudioLogic board only has pitch/mod wheels.

What do you mean by "feedback", motorized faders and/or value indicators? That twister thing looks awesome, not sure I need it really but very cool!

I was using a NanoKontrol during my brief Mainstage foray :)

Ah, someone who tried Mainstage and switched away from it. In favor of what?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I am still looking for a good smallsized mainstage controller...

what controllers are people using?

Are they all masterkeyboards?

Or does anyone else use a normall Keyboard (kronos in my case) and wants to add some specific mainstage controll to that, by adding a keyless daw-controller..

Lots of people use Mainstage (or other computer based system) in conjunction with a "normal" keyboard. For one thing, it's always cheaper to use something you already own, and lots of people buying Mainstage already own traditional keyboards. Also, people sometimes like to have hardware sounds to fall back on during a gig in case there is any glitch in their computer system. And some of these board just have sounds and/or ergonomics that people like. If they don't have the controls you need, sure, add a keyless controller (or even one with keys, as many people still want more simultaneous keys available for different parts rather than relying a lot on splits, and/or they want to have piano and organ friendly actions at their disposal).

This one might be interesting : DJ techtools midi-fighter twister

That does look cool. And I was curious so I emailed them and found out that it's not limited to Mac/PC, it works with an iPad as its sound source, too. (BTW, their tech support got back to me very quickly. :like:)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I was using a NanoKontrol during my brief Mainstage foray :)

Ah, someone who tried Mainstage and switched away from it. In favor of what?

Hardware :D

I had several issues in practice that held up practice and I took that as a harbinger...plus I just couldn't see bringing a macbook pro to some of the places we play. Some have smoking, or small non-stages within reach of the audience, etc.

I love Logic pro, and Apple in general, so I were to use computers live it would be Mainstage (unless performance was terrible or something...or if I went to Windows, which is unlikely any time soon.)

One of my hardware boards is ailing now...debating where to go next. I have a rough plan for the future, which of course won't be how it really happens (!) , but I'm leaning more toward iPad than computer for live--and you provided some excellent info on that in another thread.

I am still looking for a small sized midi controller to controll mainstage including VST's and ipad apps.. (My previous one a novation nocturn just broke down)

The midi fighter looks okay, but is quite expensive, i found these options at less then half the money.. most come at around 50 only the beatstep is double the money

I gathered some video's about my current interests HERE

Currently the models :

Samson Graphite MF8

Akai LPD 8

Korg nano Control 2

Arturia Beatstep

Anyone using one of these models, that would like to share his experience overhere?

Using the Beatstep as a general purpose controller. Pads=buttons.

Solid build.

Encoders are endless and clicky. That may bother you. It may not.

Decent pads but inconsistent sensitivity. I wouldn't expect to do nuanced finger drumming on it.

Very configurable through included software.

I make software noises.

I'd probably want something with 8 knobs/9 faders, maybe the Nektar P1 or Behringer X-Touch Compact.

Hardware

Yamaha DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1/Roland VR-760/Hydrasynth Deluxe/

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 5/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX

I'd probably want something with 8 knobs/9 faders, maybe the Nektar P1 or Behringer X-Touch Compact.

The nektar is to big for my taste... i have to check the behringer..

Using the Beatstep as a general purpose controller. Pads=buttons.

Solid build.

Encoders are endless and clicky. That may bother you. It may not.

Decent pads but inconsistent sensitivity. I wouldn't expect to do nuanced finger drumming on it.

Very configurable through included software.

endless encoders are perfect.. would be even better with viuall feedback tough... didnt know they are clicky, would be another pro for this controller..

Yeah, the visual feedback would be fantastic but would definitely puts these units in more of the Twister price range.

Of course, I'd want knob feedback as well as dynamic labels, so I could see what's controlling what, but then we're into a whole different range of controllers or an iPad app.

I'm using my BeatStep for Ableton Live control at the moment (via the "Selected Track Control" script). Just last night I ordered some sheets of .75" square, frosted labels to put on the pads as visual queues for controls (next/prev track, next/prev scene, next/prev device, etc.). Low-tech but should be workable.

I make software noises.

Archived