Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fellow K&M Spider Pro owners

richforman

Wondering if anybody has found an alternate bag that works as a carrying case for the stand, instead of the special one that K&M sells. My second one of those is now falling apart (zipper busted) so I'm wondering if there are any cheaper options, as the K&M case is like 50 bucks.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmm, they used to cost that, seeing them on Ebay for much less, like $32-34, that's more like it.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

Baby Spider Pro user here...had the same issue.

I'm convinced German engineering extends to great stand design...but crappy bag design. My K&B bag for the Baby Spider Pro shredded very quickly, and was frankly always poorly designed to begin with.

So I had a bag custom made by Studio Slips. It has backpack straps (that I seldom use), and has enough room to also hold a strip of outdoor nonslip carpet (I sometimes use that for pedals with velcro), a mic stand when I need it, even the metal part of my drum throne).

I'm sure there are other options as well, but the Baby was odd dimensions and I wanted a bag that fit a particular way - I dig these guys:

Studio Slips website

My bag is about done too. It's been about a year.

The zippers fail because they get smashed too much.

I've got the Ultimate Support bags doing the same thing.

There is no cheap alternative.

I'm going to have a tube case made for it.

Hopefully some kind of SKB like plastic.

One joint in the middle where you twist and slide it open.

I'll update here once it's done. If it can be done.

John

Baby Spider Pro user here...had the same issue.

I'm convinced German engineering extends to great stand design...but crappy bag design. My K&B bag for the Baby Spider Pro shredded very quickly, and was frankly always poorly designed to begin with.

So I had a bag custom made by Studio Slips. It has backpack straps (that I seldom use), and has enough room to also hold a strip of outdoor nonslip carpet (I sometimes use that for pedals with velcro), a mic stand when I need it, even the metal part of my drum throne).

I'm sure there are other options as well, but the Baby was odd dimensions and I wanted a bag that fit a particular way - I dig these guys:

Studio Slips website

Tim,

I guess I posted too late to see your gig bag

but I seem to remember you mentioning it before

How is it holding up?

It seems like the seams give out on the zipper

or the zipper teeth fail most often.

The zipper (or clasper? The thing you move)

usually survives torment fairly well.

And almost every one is made to its own design

so it all goes together. No mixing of parts.

Also how long did it take? And, if you can say, how much

was it?

I've got a spider pro so it's going to cost more but

I'm still seriously considering a hard plastic option

if I can find someone to do it at a reasonable cost.

It's kind of like the case for your boards.

You need it to work when you get there.

This stand is tough but it's getting it's fair share

of scuffs even with the bag.

John

I forgot to say this.

The K&M stand might not fit in the ultimate bag.

The K&M bag is shaped so you can only put it in

one way. Unless they've changed it.

It's nice because there's not a big empty flap

grabbing every corner you walk by but you have to put it

in correctly.

The wide end is quite a bit bigger.

Tim,

I guess I posted too late to see your gig bag

but I seem to remember you mentioning it before

How is it holding up?

...Also how long did it take? And, if you can say, how much

was it?

...This stand is tough but it's getting it's fair share

of scuffs even with the bag.

John

Hey John!

So the total on the bag was $181. $45 of that was an up charge for backpack straps...which was a waste of money because I never carry it that way (oh well, live and learn).

The bag itself has held up perfectly (knock on wood) and I couldn't be more please with it. I plugged in dimensions into the Studio Slips website and the end product ended up with just enough extra room for all mic stand, strip of carpet, that kind of thing. Because I sometimes gig the stand 3x a week, it has definitely seen its share of wear and tear, and this bag has not only held up, but kept it from getting more road rash than it needs.

I'm a very happy camper with Studio Slips. Wish they'd pay me for endorsement or something, though LOL

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys

I recommend the On-stage speaker bag stand bag. This is what I use for my K&M spider pro. Much better quality zip, easier to load the stand in and out of.

Can't find the receipt for mine but it looks similar to this one:

https://on-stage.com/products/view/35543/117548

Yamaha YC73

Korg Kronos2 61

Yamaha CP88

Roland Jupiter 8

Roland JX3P

Roland D50

• 6 months later...

I just received this, but there are already two things that concern me:

- it's bigger and heavier than I expected. I assumed it would be like the Apex, but it's definitely a size up.

- the bottom tier is angled upwards slightly, and I see no mention of adjustability. Is it supposed to be this way?

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

As you can see above, I don't gig the full size Spider Pro, but the shorter Baby Spider Pro.

Nevertheless:

1) Yes, it's pretty heavy compared to the other aluminum column stands out there. I've found the spider leg assembly contributes to the weight (and the off-balance heft when it's packed and bagged). On the plus side, it's very stable because of that - lots of weight close to the ground - but yes, it's a heavier schlep than I first expected as well.

2) If you haven't already, take off the top cap of the column by removing the screws, and you can remove all of the arm assemblies. You'll find that the rubber plug at the end of the arm (the end that goes into the column) is what hold the arm in place as well as sets the angle. Both my tiers are dead level - but I had to buy a second set of arms for the Baby.

See what you've got on the end of those bottom arms - I don't think they're supposed to be tilted at all. Make sure the plugs are fully seated into the back of each arm. Also, make sure that when you extend the arms that you are dropping them down as far as the plug allows. Just some thoughts, not sure if either will work, but I've not heard of the bottom tier sitting at any angle other than dead level.

2) If you haven't already, take off the top cap of the column by removing the screws, and you can remove all of the arm assemblies. You'll find that the rubber plug at the end of the arm (the end that goes into the column) is what hold the arm in place as well as sets the angle. Both my tiers are dead level - but I had to buy a second set of arms for the Baby.

See what you've got on the end of those bottom arms - I don't think they're supposed to be tilted at all. Make sure the plugs are fully seated into the back of each arm. Also, make sure that when you extend the arms that you are dropping them down as far as the plug allows. Just some thoughts, not sure if either will work, but I've not heard of the bottom tier sitting at any angle other than dead level.

The end of the bottom-tiers have nothing adjustable, just a solid (glued-on?) rubber/plastic thingamajig.

36433252933_9580551a1b_n.jpg

Am a little disappointed. Was really looking forward to using this on the gig tonight. Think I'm gonna return this.

Your pic looks like the end of my arms as well. At least on my arms, the rubber plug thing is inserted into the back of the arm - not glued or otherwise secured. Occasionally one of the plugs can unseat itself and the arm doesn't line up with the other one. Out comes the Philips screwdriver to pull the arm out, re-insert plug - and that's how I found out how the design works.

Anyway, I thought you might have found something out of place or not fully seated. Not heard of bottom tiers angling up before on these. Just a last thought - does it remain tilted upwards when you place an actual keyboard on the arms? Wondering if the weight of the keyboard brings it to a useful tilt. A long shot, I know.

Sorry, must be disappointing to pull out a brand new stand and have it unusable.

I didn't notice the upward angle until I put a keyboard on it. I wouldn't say it is unusable, but having the keys angled "backward" isn't ideal. Maybe a heavier keyboard would push them down enough to be level, I don't know.

Anyway, thanks for your quick response, Tim. It was helpful.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Archived