Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Virtual Theremin Fun!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a cool story:

I was talking with my Mom a while ago. She grew up in a small rural town during the 40's and 50's. She is an accomplished pianist, and we were talking about the use of synth's in churches.

When she was growing up she went to a very small family church in town. It was so small, in fact, that they had to bring the minister in from out of town to preach there. So basically, it was a small place in a small rural town.

So you can imagine my surprise when she told me that there was a guy who used to come there from time to time and played music by "waving his hands in the air"... I said, 'Did he have these little antenna-like things?'. She seemed to think so. I said, 'What you are describing is a Theremin!'.

I thought, how cool is that? Some guy in some small out of the way area, BACK IN THE 1940's, was not only aware of this instrument, but owned one, and could play it well enough to perform in front of people.

I thought that was cool!

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Theremins were the shit in the 30s and 40s. RCA made them for commercial sale and they held clinics and had home study courses.

Pretty neat that it made it all the way out there.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Gabriel, I tried out the Theremin from your link. That sucker works! Here I've been eyeballing cheap Theremins on ebay, and you hand us one for free. I'm going to try and import it into a session. Should be fun. Thanks.

Archived