Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Apple or Mac coming out soon with a super duper laptop?

Is Apple or Macintosh coming out with a major move forward in laptops? Seems I read one of them is. Any details? I'm still holding off making a purchase. I am considering buying a laptop that would serve as a desktop replacement for business needs and also to be used for all things musical -- recording/mixing music and for sequencing in live gigs. I've always been PC but I'm entertaining all possibilities.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The word from the various Apple Macintosh rumor websites is that the next TiPowerBook will have a 16" screen with a 1.2Ghz processor. Since TiBooks now have slot loading combo drives (CD/DVD/CDRW), I think the next logical step will be slot loading DVD-R combo drives (CD/DVD/CDRW/DVD-R). I always wanted a Powerbook, but I always went for a Mac desktop machine instead because of the features. If these new Powerbooks become a reality, I know I'll be buying one.

I have some pictures of a prototype LCD iMac--of course, no one at Apple acknowledges the existence of such a beast--and it is stunning. Not much deeper than a regular TFT monitor, the screen is covered by sliding doors, split in the middle, that also house the speakers. Judging from the quality of the prototype build and the photography, this is the real deal. Assuming this is, Apple would be TOTAL dipshits for not putting this baby in production. If I had a Photopoint acct., or knew how to post them here, I would. If anyone knows how to do that, let me know. I'll try and find them and get 'em on here.
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

[quote]Originally posted by php: [b]The word from the various Apple Macintosh rumor websites is that the next TiPowerBook will have a 16" screen with a 1.2Ghz processor.[/b][/quote] The rumor sites always - ALWAYS - overestimate the clock speed of the next processor. I'd guess that the next laptop will be a G4 in the 850 - 900 MHz range. I keep wondering when Apple will figure out how to put a G3 into a palmtop. Imagine running Logic or DP or Cubase on a palmtop with some soft synths and a firewire connection to an audio interface, like the MOTU 828. Heck, the iPod is the size of a pack of cigarettes, and it holds a 5G hard drive. Let the miniaturization revolution commence! [ 12-26-2001: Message edited by: dansouth@yahoo.com ]

[quote]Originally posted by gtrmac@hotmail.com: [b]Check out the MicroWave here: http://www.wavedigital.com/ [/b][/quote] Mac, any idea what street price is for that? What would be the advantage of that versus a laptop? I assume you just plug your keyboard, monitor and mouse into that thing. BTW, what is a MOTU? And while I'm at it, sorry... but what does DAW mean?

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

The powerbooks tend to lag just behind what the desktops can do. Right now the G4 desktops can do 733-867 as well as a dual 800. Those will probably increase next go around and the tiBooks will probably just go up to 733 and 800ish. Consider that the tiBooks only recently went up from 400-500mhx to just 550-667mhz. They are inching it up slowly it seems which is kind of annoying. An 800mhz tiBook would be nice NOW. I wonder if they'll ever be able to do a dual processor tiBook. Probably not enough room. Plus the heat. My tiBook can already cook an egg (brings new meaning to the "it even makes you breakfast" spec).

• 3 months later...

Archived