Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mini mixer with XLR outputs and fx loop - options?

omvibes

Hi, looking for something similar to the yamaha mg06 mixer - probably a 6/2 or 8/2 mixer, xlr outs and effects loop, pre-solo option if possible, as small a footprint as possible, not a rack mixer. Any options out there, I can't see anything apart from the yamaha, and it has no effects loop etc.

Anything?

Thanks for the input.

Oli

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By loop you just mean aux send and return?

Yeah the very smallest mixers are limited on sends and alternate outputs, or have been last I looked.. I had similar needs and ended up with a Soundcraft notepad 10, which is a fair bit bigger with more channels than I needed. Got a great deal used from a friend or I was either going to get a Samson rack or probably that same Yamaha you mentioned.

Okay, didn't know about that one, it looks good but rather expensive.

any other options?

No. Not if you want to keep a small format and you consider $400 to be too expensive.

Unless you go rack that is about it.

I have a Yamaha MG102c I mounted to a rack drawer that gets part of the way there but not quite and it is a little large it you want it to sit on a 88 key slab.

FWIW I found the MG102c to be a quiet nice little mixer. You can probably find one cheap if you can locate a used one. The new MG10 doesn't have the channel effects loops. (But are fine if a single loop is OK.) Also you can mount those Yamahas on a mic stand but I tried it and didn't like it. It was like have a Medusa on stage. Cable management will need to be thought out. It was easier to rack it..... or just set it on a road case. I rack stuff because I want every hooked up and ready to plug and go.

http://data.yamaha.jp/sdb/product/image/main/medium/m/mg102c/04A1F694EA4947D3BC90A1957C8C6172_12001.jpg

http://www.emkaraoke.co.uk/contents/media/yamahastand.jpg

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Yep, the Key Largo is the only mixer that fits ALL of the requirements, but now is too many $'s. So, drop a requirement, if the XLR outputs can be dropped then there are a ton of mixers that fit the bill, then just run the 1/4" outputs into two direct boxes which are also a small footprint and small dollars and once again all of your requirements are intact.

link

I'ved owned two of them for 25 years and they still work perfectly. I zipped tied them vertically (stacked them).

How about this mixer for $60:

link

The cool thing about that mixer is that the 1/4" input channels also have gain knobs, it has the EFX loop (not 1, but 2 sends), TRS/TS inputs and XLR inputs. Coupled with the $60 in direct boxes your total outlay is $120, you'd meet all of your requirements, and at a great price and a small footprint.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I actually have a yamaha mg10/2, which I use on a mic stand (I like it!), but have been looking for something small to rest on a keyboard (specifically, the space on the top of an Access Virus TI).

Would probably be happy to give up the xlr requirement, but on reflection I think I'm really looking for a 6/2 mixer, not 8/2...otherwise I might as well keep to my Yamaha, as the size difference seems to be negligiable.

Any 6/2 suggestions, with aux send/ return features? I guess not, but...

In all the threads on little keyboard mixers, there is either no headphones out or it seems unlikely to send a stereo AUX mix to the headphones. At a time where keyboard players are increasingly going to wired IEMs and want an aux feed from FOH, it would be nice to directly plug the phones into a mixer. But the aux feed cannot go back out of the LR of this keyboard mixer. I'll settle for a mono send in my IEMs, but I want to hear my keyboards in stereo in my IEMs.

I guess sending the aux out of the keyboard mixer to FOH would be one way to handle this, saving the LR outs for IEMs. I've never tried that.

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs

Check out a Rolls Hex 1U mixer.

Headphones, Stereo FX, Inserts on every channel.

100 bucks on ebay usually.

I use one for Submixed drums.

Wanted more channels and added Rolls Mini mixer.

Their stuff is durable, inexpensive small and sounds fine for live work..

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

If you can go with 1/4" TRS outs instead of XLRs, how about a Mackie Mix8?

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4; IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

Archived