Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Phait's interview of some obscure producer / engineer guy

I had the great pleasure last year of hearing many of the references in the interview from Phil when I met him, toured his studio, and spent some time with him at NAMM... Phil is a class act all the way. No airs... Just the real deal. This interview, I am very happy to say, brought it out very well. KUDOS to you both! Boggs
Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Phait:

This state just doesn't have anything to offer... I wanna live in Cali or New York or New Orleans

I like Appleton in a small-town-that's-growing-up sorta way. I've never lived there but I've done a lot of business in the Fox valley and one of our favorite band gigs is in Green Bay (about 20 miles to the North of Appleton - for the uninitiated). I think the whole area is unique in its mixture of small town friendliness mixed with fairly progressive and cosmopolitan attitudes. And then there's that whole Packer thing...

As for Wisconsin, I guess it depends what you're looking for. Musically, Wisconsin is a hotbed of some fantastic talent. Unfortunately, you really have to look for it since the media completely ignore it. If you're looking for fame and excitement, it certainly ain't gonna happen here. But if you're looking for a good, clean, relatively safe place to live, work, pay high taxes, and raise a family, I think it's very nice.

Having spent enough time in each, New York and Southern Cali hold no appeal to me whatsoever. New Orleans I've never been to though...

I thoroughly enjoyed the interview and hope to see SSR and visit with Phil someday! Maybe during the BBQs. Great interview, both of you!

Originally posted by Boggs:

Hey, PBBPaul... We DO have the Dinosaur Honkey Tonk Barbecue Grill, so you know we ain't ALL bad! Oh yeah... You must've been referring to the OTHER side of New York... :D Boggs

Hey Boggs!

Yeah, the Dinosaur was fun. Good food, good company. We have several places like that around here (different company though). There used to be a place in Appleton called Mongo's Mongolian Barbeque that was kinda unique. The restaurant was on the first floor with the bands playing upstairs in the Inner Mongolian Lounge. The audience sat on pillows on the floor and there were hookahs everwhere. I had fun playing there afew times. Upstate NY is a lot like WI with a bit more snow. I was of course talkng about NYC.

Ok... But how many other places can boast the Circus World Museum in Baraboo, the tourist trap that is, was, and ever shall be the Wisconsin Dells, and the House On The Rock? :D

(Actually, I can't imagine the Dells without Wes Harrison, special-effects vocalist extrodinaire at the Tommy Bartlett Water Show. :cry: )

Hey, I went to two different summer camps in Wisconsin, camped out many times at Devil's Lake, Kettle Morraine, the Dells, etc., and a variety of other wonderful childhood memories. :thu:

Of course, I never quite lived there, growing up, instead, on Chicago's North Shore. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by PBBPaul:

Originally posted by Boggs:

Hey, PBBPaul... We DO have the Dinosaur Honkey Tonk Barbecue Grill, so you know we ain't ALL bad! Oh yeah... You must've been referring to the OTHER side of New York... :D Boggs

Hey Boggs!

Yeah, the Dinosaur was fun. Good food, good company. We have several places like that around here (different company though). There used to be a place in Appleton called Mongo's Mongolian Barbeque that was kinda unique. The restaurant was on the first floor with the bands playing upstairs in the Inner Mongolian Lounge. The audience sat on pillows on the floor and there were hookahs everwhere. I had fun playing there afew times. Upstate NY is a lot like WI with a bit more snow. I was of course talkng about NYC.

Trouble is, most people think NYC is New York... Nothing could be further from the truth. Nothing wrong with NYC... It just isn't the whole state (except election time of course... :evil: ) Boggs
Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

Great interview, guys! Phil, lots of great ideas in there. It's difficult to pick one, but this one is great.

Phil O'Keefe:

I would definitely consider it to be important to learn from those who came before you, no matter which avenue you picked. Otherwise, you're going to spend too much unproductive time drifting and trying to reinvent the wheel.

Congrats to you both! Well worth reading! I hope we'll see more work like this from you, Phait.

:thu:

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Very nice interview all around...

Phil said:

"Seriously, I'd like to be known as someone who cared about people and tried to do his best to make some good music. I'd love the respect of my peers..."

Respect? You have it, and more.

peace to all,

SC

"If the machine produces tranquillity, it's right."

---Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Archived