Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mainstage, Air Display 3, iPad:why didn't I know this?

EscapeRocks

Maybe I'm late to the party. If so, let me know.

The way I use Mainstage is pretty much as a "sound module" that sits in/on my rack. I don't look at the MacBook after it's loaded.

I've always wanted another way to display, indiscreetly at my keyboards, with some control possibilities.

I have messed around with touchOSC and MidiDesigner Pro 2. Both of them work great but lack the ability to show me things in the way I want.

The free Logic Remote is good, too, but I miss seeing my actual layout.

Enter AirDisplay 3. I've been running it thru its paces today.

I load the app on my iPad, and connect to it from my MacBook.

I then open my Mainstage Concert, and drag it over to the extended screen that is my iPad.

Switch to "Perform in Full Screen," and I have my full Mainstage layout up on my iPad.

Every control button in the MS layout works from my iPad.

Though my main buttons (patch up and down, PANIC, rotor speed, etc) are all mapped to my keyboard controllers, I now have a direct backup, without having to go to the rack/Macbook that sits on stage "over there."

I've been sitting in my living room, with the Macbook, boards, and amp/speakers in another room, and playing my rig from the iPad screen, using the actual Mainstage layout.

I create a secure ad hoc wifi network on my MacBook.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

FYI, if you've been using Logic Remote with Mainstage, DO NOT update your Logic Remote. It does not work with Mainstage as it's looking for MS 3.3, which hasn't been released yet.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Discreetly?

Excellent and the bonus of full touch control for MainStage.

Re MS 3.3 I figured when I read through the list of changes in the Logic update that an update for MainStage had to be on its way.

I note on the developers site that the 2 version works with Windows also.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

The new Logic requires 10.11. Apple tends to always want to push everyone to the new OS in general. Mainstage still runs on 10.9. I think it's likely than the forthcoming update to Mainstage will no longer run on 10.9. So if you've been thinking about getting mainstage, and don't necessarily want to upadate to 10.11, now would be the time to get it. Once they update, older versions are no longer made available.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Discreetly?

Excellent and the bonus of full touch control for MainStage.

Yeah, I have never liked look of a laptop open on my keys. With the iPad, I can keep it low and unobtrusive.

I may eventually get a Mac Mini, with the 1u rack mount made for it, but I'd still have the monitor issue. I don't feel like spending $$$ right now when I already own the MB and the iPad.

Also, the new Logic Remote version and new Logic Pro X version are great. The GUI looks much better, to my eyes, on my MBP 13"Retina.

David

I've always wanted another way to display, "indiscreetly" OR "discreetly" ? at my keyboards,

Gentle poke :wave:

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

I use duet display a lot on the road as a 2nd display. I prefer cables... :)

AirDisplay can work USB or Tbolt as well. So if one with with it, they would have the option. Plus it's a good backup.

I like the wireless as I can start our "walk on" track from the iPad away from the stage.

David

Timely thread. I'm looking at something similar, Duet Display: https://www.duetdisplay.com

I haven't pulled the trigger yet, though. Love to hear how well it works on gigs

I'll know in a couple weeks. One thing to keep in mind, I am not using it to control Mainstage. The fact that it can is a nice added bonus. Being able to go to the edit screen to make unforeseen adjustments may come in handy.

I use a stylus with my iPad for fine control.

So far, in all my testing over the last several hours, everything has worked fine.

David

I've played around with duet display which works ok but I prefer a screen sharing app called screens as the mouse control is much better and it has the ability to zoom sections of the screen.

Overall I opted to get a midi controller which receives feedback from Mainstage and text updates to reduce the reliance on seeing Mainstage on screen almost entirely. The only one that can do it is the Novation remote SL 2 range. Current Mainstage computer for me is a 2012 4 core Mac mini.

Both approaches has their strengths/ weaknesses of trying to achieve our common goal of getting the laptop off the keyboard performance area.

If you want to know more about my approach I did a video blog on it at

Paul Najar

Jaminajar music production

www.jaminajar.com

I've played around with duet display which works ok but I prefer a screen sharing app called screens as the mouse control is much better and it has the ability to zoom sections of the screen.

Are you talking about the VNC app?

Also of possible interest is this video I posted recently in a related thread, showing one approach to creating a live-optimized Mainstage screen, which seems like it would be nice to operate using an iPad screen app, if the general approach works for you:[video:youtube]

Overall I opted to get a midi controller which receives feedback from Mainstage and text updates to reduce the reliance on seeing Mainstage on screen almost entirely. The only one that can do it is the Novation remote SL 2 range.

FWIW, I think the Vax77 had this feature as well. Cool to know that Novation does this, I wasn't aware of that, though I've liked that board for other reasons.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I don't know if this is the same thing you're getting at, but I use Duet on my iPad. It works with both my PC and my MacBook and basically just duplicates the display like a Remote Desktop.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Yes the app I'm referring to "Screens" is a VNC app. As I understand it all of the "ipad extra screen" apps use VNC in some manner.

I forgot to mention one of the nice things about Duet display is that it requires a small app on the OSX side to work but this has the benefit of allowing it to work even if you have not set up an ad hoc network between mac and IOS device - so in this area it is much easier to set up than Screens which does require the ad hoc network to be there.

Regarding setting up the Novation I can warn that it's not for the faint hearted. It does work really well once it's all done but it requires Novation's Automap software as a layer between mainstage and controller to make it all happen. My dream is to write all of the necessary sysex strings automap uses to create text and controller feedback on the hardware into a midi file that loads and sends with each mainstage patch negating the need to use automap at all....

Paul Najar

www.jaminajar.com

Yes the app I'm referring to "Screens" is a VNC app. As I understand it all of the "ipad extra screen" apps use VNC in some manner.

I forgot to mention one of the nice things about Duet display is that it {will} work even if you have not set up an ad hoc network between mac and IOS device

I think what you describe there in the second paragraph counters what you say in the first. ;-) VNC does its thing through a virtual network, Duet and some others are do it differengtly.

You could look at it that way but perhaps a clear way of saying what I mean is that with VNC based apps an ad hoc (or other) network must already be present. With Duet (and perhaps others) there' no need to create a network as the apps on both ends work it out for you.

P

Paul Najar

www.jaminajar.com

I always run my Mainstage and MacBook Pro OSX on the latest updates.

As do many people... but some people prefer not to upgrade the OS until/unless there is some over-riding reason to do so. Sometimes OS upgrades mean that some other program you have stops working, or require a pricey upgrade that you may not need for any reason other than that the version you have doesn't run on the newest OS ({cough}, Pro Tools). And sometimes, if a system is rock solid for you, you just don't want to change anything. You never know when something will unexpectedly bite you.

Hmmm...Air Display or Screens VNC???

I have duet display and I hate that you can't zoom with it.

Is it possible to use USB cable with screens or only with Air Display?

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Archived