Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

use studio monitors as stage monitors?

Karl Sutton

Our sound guy at church is proposing I use a pair of 5" studio monitors as opposed to a wedge. I don't really want a lot of volume, mainly clarity, but wonder what that experience will be like. I have a pair of Dynaudio BMA 5's at home that I'm used to tracking through and they can get plenty loud. I just never thought of that as an option for live. Thoughts?
Yamaha P22 Upright / Nord Stage 2 SW73

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All depends on stage volume and placement. As long as the volume is low and you can get them placed ear level, should be fine. Though if you have acoustic drums, unless there's an plexiglass acoustic shield, I think you'll find they aren't as loud as you thought they were.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Works perfectly fine acomanying gospel a gospel choir, extremely good to rehearse and play at low volumes. In addition to the comment on drums, I would add chap sticks and off course tiny speakers to our string playing friends. A guitarist I play with have a GK looking like a small radio.

Those are some nice monitors, I'd be a bit concerned about pushing them too hard if things got loud.

The beauty of 5" monitors are how small they are. It'd be pretty ideal if you could find a simple way of positioning them for a perfect stereo sound. I've seen stand mounts for 6.5" vocal monitors, I wonder if there's some kind of mic stand adapter that would work for your monitors.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

I would be buying a new pair of monitors, not using mine. I had contemplated looking into the SS3 that is very popular here as that is a similar cost to a decent set of near fields. But I think that may work against the control factor the sound guy is trying to achieve with reducing stage volume & being more directional with everyone's stage monitors.
Yamaha P22 Upright / Nord Stage 2 SW73

If you're going to buy something new anyway, why not look at a pair of personal sized stage monitors?

[url:https://www.sweetwater.com/c450--Powered_Stage_Monitors?params=eyJmYWNldCI6eyJTcGVha2VyIFNpemUiOlsiNVwiIl19fQ]those little Mackies or Behringers[/url]

Here for the gear.

In an open room studio monitors will have varying frequency responce depending on how close to a wall and other factors. To hear them over a drummer you might need them closer to your ears. Ironically i think you risk hearing damage from a less powerful speaker thats too close to your ear more than a proper floor monitor thats where its supposed to be positioned. I would avoid it.

FunMachine.

All depends on stage volume and placement. As long as the volume is low and you can get them placed ear level, should be fine. Though if you have acoustic drums, unless there's an plexiglass acoustic shield, I think you'll find they aren't as loud as you thought they were.

^^^^ yep, this! I tried using SM for a while - pretty useless outside the studio. Only good in small cafe solo gigs!

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

You know, if stage volume is the issue with the wedge, you can always just turn it down. :wave:

I would second the vote for the small personal monitors like the behringer or Mackie linked above. Mic stand mount it closer to your head.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

You should really avoid using small studio monitors for live work, especially as instrument amplification. They are not designed for it in their power handling capacity, dispersion pattern of audio or ruggedness of the drivers, and will not be happy trying to handle the dynamics of a live instrument.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

You should really avoid using small studio monitors for live work, especially as instrument amplification. They are not designed for it in their power handling capacity, dispersion pattern of audio or ruggedness of the drivers, and will not be happy trying to handle the dynamics of a live instrument.

dB

What he said...

I have a SRM 150 and play a Nord, and a Jupiter 50 through it.

I have it mounted on a mike stand next to the end of the keyboard(s), location depending on space.

I love it; everything sounds good through it; now, I do play in a 5 pc band, Classic Rock mostly, so there is a fair amount of noise around me. Being able to raise the little 150w amp so the top is about level with my ear gives me all the volume anyone could want. It's only what....2 to 2 1/2 feet from my ear. WTF?

I keep it at about ear height so I can see over the top of it. I play standing.

It's small, rugged, lightweight. Much better than my K10 was, being on an amp stand behind me. The close location makes it seem more like a headphone on steriods than a regular amp.

Once you try one, you will wonder why you haven't done this before.

You've got enough adjustments on it to play with too. Plus, since it is within easy reach, you can put one of those Swirly drink holders on the stand, not having to worry about splling on your electronics.

Paul

Archived