Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What Portion of Your Studio is Actually making you money????

Greetings,

Just wanted to see what others are doing and basically give everyone an idea how location may affect your market and their needs.

Personally, I'm a little over an hour west of Philadelphia, PA. The city of Reading has a population of about 120K. While their are quite a few home studios, almost none are well equipped, I am really the only place locally that you can come in and get a pro sound. My pricing is probably a little more then the market can bare, I find this helps to keep out the riff raff. Although most of my talent is local, I've seen a substantial increase in clients from western PA headed this way to record.

I would have to say the most lucrative portions of my studio are:

1) Remixes for Major Labels

2) Production (charge one fee for engineering, and an entirely different price structure for writing and producing).

3) CD/DVD duplication has been a big hit at my facility. Since I've added the ability to print graphics to the surface of CD/DVD's my numbers have gone way up in this department.

Dallas

http://TrilogySound.com

Reading, PA

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey neighbor! I don't have anything to add because my studio isn't the money making kind (though maybe it should be), but I was wondering if you were actually from Dallas Pa, or there was another meaning to your handle. So. Chester County here, prolly 45-60 minutes from you. Someone I work with actually lives in Oly.
I really don't know what to put here.

Originally posted by Sylver:

I don't have anything to add because my studio isn't the money making kind (though maybe it should be)

I thought you had menioned that you were doing this full-time now. Did I miss something?

Currently, nothing in my studio is making any money. But when it is, it's coming from one of two places; gigs and students.

I have collected probably enough gear to say I have a decent little recording set up now, and I have some plans on how to turn some of that into income....who knows? We'll see. If it happens, it will be from on location recordings, and selling the CD's. I think the potential is there to make a few bucks at it, but I don't see it as being a replacement income or anything.

It will certainly help develop me mixing skills, though. I think that a payment in itself.

Money isn't the main thrust.

I LIKE to make money.

I LOVE to make music.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Originally posted by DallasPA:

Slyver,

No I not in Dallas, Pa.; actually Dallas is my name. Worked down in West Chester at Wyeth many moons ago.

Dallas

LOL, that's were I work!! I'm at the Great Vally Data Center. Weird.

Originally posted by Super 8:

I thought you had menioned that you were doing this full-time now. Did I miss something?

Yes, but you are not the only one that thought that. No, I'm not making money with music ... yet. But I am right on the precipice ... gearing up, polishing the apples, greasing the gears ...

Ok, I got nothin'.

Seriously, I've done a couple of background tracks for a local college DJ's sports round up (commisioned and everything), so I'm resume building with free jobs. Basically, I'm still getting my pieces together. I would have to actually start making money before wuitting my stinking job. Opps, did I say that out loud?

Well, ever since we started giving out free soft drinks and charging $10 per visit to the bathroom, I'd have to say the restroom is the portion of our studio that's making the most money. :freak:

Not really, but I couldn't resist. ;)

We do keep the fridge stocked and access to it is free, but we don't charge for using the restroom. But it's a thought. :D

"Value added" stuff like that is always a nice idea IMO Dallas. A case of soda's just a few bucks, and when people are going to pay you well for the time, dropping a case of soda and some snacks is a inexpensive, but appreciated little bonus for them.

Of course, that's not going to help you if they're not happy with their recording, but considering the client's needs and comfort is never a bad thing to do.

I don't know - maybe it's all the summer activities bands frequently participate in. They want the demos and albums ready for the summer touring season.

Fall and winter are usually slower for me, but the past few years they've been very busy. There's just no absolutes to this business.

Originally posted by DallasPA:

He He,

Was only joking, I think a lot of us spend a few bucks on some well stocked munchies. Keeps me from running to the coffee shop every 2-3 hours.

Hmmm...

This reminds me of a story I heard late last year about a certain major studio owner who alienated clients by deciding to charge them for bottled water ... so you're saying that's not a good idea then? ;)

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Archived