Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tuners (Grover, Locking, etc)

DocPate

Who here has changed the tuners on their guitar?

I always checked the tuners on my guitars before I bought them to make sure they were good quality, but I've neve thought about changing to a Grover or Locking tuners. Is there an advantage, what is that advantage and is it more important to one brand of guitars or equally important to all guitars?

Not that I'm in the market to modify my guitars, just curious.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I finally changed to locking Schallers on my American Strat which I've had for over 25 years, about 5 years ago. I was having minor tuning issues, especially after using the whammy and especially on the G string for some reason. No tuning issues now.
"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix

If I ever get around to it, I'll most likely replace any 'standard' tuners with locking tuners appropriate for the given guitar. I like having as little wrap around the tuner-capstan as possible.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I have one American Deluxe Strat that I purchased with locking tuners. I liked them so well that I put them on my other two American Standard Strats. +1 on the single wrap for tone and locking tuners make it easy. If you're a gigging musician, you can't ask for an easier faster string change if you happen to break a string. If you're not a gigging musician you will still enjoy how much faster and easier your string changes can be done.

+1 if you use a whammy bar, the locking tuners will help you stay in tune better. I don't use it nearly as much as I used to so standard tuners work just fine for me. I can do a single wrap just using a half-hitch. My least favorite tuners are the Vintage Fender tuners with the slit on top, but I can deal with them too LOL! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

I think gear ratio will affect your life more than just the brand. Obviously locking tuners make string changes very fast, but if you don't change often, that's not an issue. Going from 14:1 to an 18:1 set will definitely feel like an upgrade, as you can get much finer resolution in microtuning.
Scott Fraser

I have 4 guitars, and all of them have different tuners, my Ibanez has stock Ibanez 6 on a side, my Gibson Faded SG has the old Gibson cheapo style tuners, they work excellently. My Agile Strat Clone has cheapo knockoffs but they work well, and my homemade has Shaller tuners but I lock the nut on that one, so I only use the tuners for when I change strings I have a Shaller fine tuning bridge on that homemade axe, so for daily use, I use the fine tuners on the bridge. But when I used to build my own or modify them I used Shaller tuners. I never used locking or self tuning tuners. I used Grover's also, before switching to Shaller tuners in the 1960's. I used them on Gibson style 3 on a side and Fender 6 on a side style. I have always been satisfied with the Shaller tuners.

Archived