Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Just tried a Nord Stage 2 EX 88!!

miden

I don't find the Kronos to be particularly joyful to play. The sounds out of the box were meh. I made they sound great.... except the pianos. They are just OK. But it was the only tool I saw that would provide the resources and on board control I needed.

Yeah, I replaced my MOXF with a Kronos and don't regret it ...not the least of which is the Kronos unweighted keyboard is so much better. Overall I don't find the Kronos sounds to be better than the MOXF (which costs a third of the Kronos); some are better and some are worse.

But functionally, it is really great. Not much you can't do and they have managed to make something really flexible with a reasonably understandable interface...contrasted with Yamaha Motif series which had adequate flexibility but arcane interface. :deadhorse:

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Nord Pianos I played at last year's NAMM were when I first started thinking....maybe I've held on to my Stage for too long after all.

Though I love the action on the Classic, so it's all bonus from there.

I just said this to someone in PM, but I brought my NE5D (only) to a gig last week and during the first song I kept noticing how great the piano action felt that night--trills, octaves, everything just lit on fire under my fingers. Then I remembered....wait, this is the 5D, not the Stage. This thing might be one bad-ass single-board option after all...

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I can't imagine that things from the Electro 5 wouldn't be incorporated into a Stage update. Set list mode, drawbars (maybe only on the 73 compact, like it is with the 5d/5hp).

There is not really any comparision between a Stage and a workstation like a Forte/Kronos/Montage type board. You can sit down cold at a Stage and never touch a preset and dial in all sorts of sounds just by using the front panel knobs and buttons. Any workstation I've ever used I've had to do a lot of work at home to menu dive into the effects, amp sims, find the different types of pianos or EPs I need, and none of have the easy to use Stage organ engine.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

80% of my setup work was done at gigs before the downbeat. A big reason I setup 3 hours before the show.

Ouch! If you need that kind of prep time to comfortably do set management before a gig, I'd say you were wise to switch from the Yamaha to the Kronos (if not adding an iPad to control the Yamaha). On an hourly basis, most of my gigs already barely pay enough to make it worth it. ;-)

I don't find the Kronos to be particularly joyful to play...But it was the only tool I saw that would provide the resources and on board control I needed....The whole thing if it wasn't for the 9 engines and Setlist mode would be meh.

It's interesting, but I get some of the same vibe. The sounds are good. The action is good (I've got the 61). The Set List mode provides a good live interface. And yet the board doesn't quite evoke joy. I think because so much of the on-screen interface is awkard, and the physical ergonomics aren't great.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I test-drove both the Kronos and the Motif the past year at our local friendly neighborhood GC. Loved the sounds and the screens, hated all the menu-diving. I believe it was the Kronos, in particular, that seemed heavily weighted toward 80s sounds, which I found borderline dysfunctional, but I guess they know the market. Anyway...I walked out with all my money intact.

I have been hitting on an SV-1 pretty hard lately though. She is warming up to me. Last time I was there she let me fondle her price tag. I think soon she will let me go all the way.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

80% of my setup work was done at gigs before the downbeat. A big reason I setup 3 hours before the show.

Ouch! If you need that kind of prep time to comfortably do set management before a gig, I'd say you were wise to switch from the Yamaha to the Kronos (if not adding an iPad to control the Yamaha). On an hourly basis, most of my gigs already barely pay enough to make it worth it. ;-)

It isn't bad. That is just what I do. I come in as early as I can and I setup. Setup is usually quick. Just throw the boards on the stands, Run the snake to my rack the run the keys to my IEM mixer. Production guys do the rest. Then I do whatever I want. Often I will leave or eat at the venue. I hate having to setup within an hour of the downbeat then go right into a gig. Our guitarist does that a lot. I hate it when he noodles before a gig. I like playing at the venue before people are there.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I have been hitting on an SV-1 pretty hard lately though. She is warming up to me. Last time I was there she let me fondle her price tag. I think soon she will let me go all the way.

The Nord is a great KB in terms of sound, features and functionality. It provides all of the bread and butter a KB player could want. I tried it. We got along just OK.

Yet, every time I laid hands on the SV-1, there was an immediate connection. The SV-1 didn't give me a hard time or resist. It begged me to take it home. After 3 years of courtship, I did the d8mn thing. :laugh:

But, this thread is about a Nord Stage 2 EX. I certainly hope the OP can find a way to finance and bring it home. It is an excellent KB. I would have bought one had the love been there. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Nord stage and now Nord stage 2 is the center of.my rigs since many years, I've complemented it with many differnet keys dependent on gig. They have been quite reliable, and its always easy to be creative with the sound engines on stag4. Last two big gigs I complemented with the Montage 6 as a sound module making all program changes from the nord. I was plannning on using the montage setlist function but had to give up due to the completely weird midi implementation.

Sold my Nord stage classic last week! It's been a good companion, but its time to replace it with a Nord stage 3 after Frankfurt messe.....I hope😀...if they release one. Then my 2 also have to go.

The Nords are well worth saving up to.

It is on clearance for $2999 at the local Guitar Center in Champaign. http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/CEB2/Stage%202%20EX_zpsqkecytzu.jpg

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

It's no secret I love the NS2 and NS2EX. I used the NS2 88 for about five years and then added a NS2EX 76 to give myself a bit lighter option and the very incremental improvements in the EX (mostly piano block memory).

I still find these keyboards to be perfect gig machines for me, augmented by a Neo Vent and a Motif XS Rack. I really long for not much else on stage. I picked up a NL2Xr this past year that I keep meaning to integrate into the rig, but it would almost be overkill for what I'm trying to do.

I'm curious about whether 2017 will be the year of the NS3 or not.

I just had to come back to this thread again and wax poetic about how. much. I. love. this. keyboard.

I know so little about synth programming yet I have been able to achieve any sound I've attempted so far by wiggling some knobs. I'd never been able to do that on any of my menu-driven workstation. Tonight was the hard synced synth from the Cars 'Let's Go' / No Doubt's 'Just A Girl. Three minutes flat.

Did I mention I love this keyboard?

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

Archived