Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Guilty Pleasures - Regional Fast Food

Originally posted by phaeton:

I dunno DJDM.... I know you wouldn't lie to us..

but any place that's got the whole

"Dicks! Where taste has been the difference since 1954"

slogan going on...

It is different. But like I said phaeton the really odd thing about Dick's is how completely consistent the flavor is. It boggles the mind. And to be clear Dick's is not about fine dining. Dick's is about drunken debauchery before bed. Laughing it up with your hommies and trying your best not to let your money get blown into the window by the ever present Dick's Counter Draft as you hand over your four bucks in singles for a burger and a shake at all hours.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy crap, how could I have forgotten Ted's? Consistently and deservedly ranked as one of the best places, if not the best, to get a charcoal-broiled hot dog, Ted's is no slouch when it comes to milkshakes or clusters of onion rings, either. Anyone who thinks that a Nathan's dog is good should go to Ted's for an edumacation.

Birthplace of both wings and beef on weck, home to Ted's and Mighty Taco, great pizza/sub joints on almost every corner - is there any doubt that Buffalo, NY is the center of the junk food universe? How did New Orleans get ranked as the fattest city in the nation?

The other day I ate the remaining several, cold onion rings from a local drive-in.

They were so damn good, I didn't realize I liked onion rings that much. I've got to get me some more.

If there's one place I hate, it's George Webb. It's this small diner, and I mean small, with all sorts of people hanging about, and 3 of the guys working there look like slackasses with prominent bedhead and normal clothes. I just get a bad vibe.

The last time I was in there, there was actually a woman in a diner uniform serving! The shock! I still don't like how small the place is though.

As someone who travels our highways for a living, I shun fast foods as much as possible. It's not that I don't enjoy junk food, in fact, I love it, it's just that the accumulation on a body is horrible. I'm determined to get this body back down in weight and maintain it. I seek out a good soup and salad bar and stay away from high calorie dressings. I limit myself to one trip to the salad bar and leave hungary if that's what I am. I eat more fruit than burgers and enjoy some of the lowfat Subway sandwiches. Most days I pass by all the burger joints all together. For some reason though, I can go to the fast food Chinese buffets and enjoy some honey chicken and fried rice and it seems to have no adverse affect on my weight. Yummy for the tummy.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Roberto's! San Diego has some killer mexi fast food and Roberto's started it all in the late 70's. We're talking enchiladas, carnitas, quesadillas, burritos, tacos of all makes and models... and the free pickled, spicy carrots and jalopenos! Mexi soft drinks like Horchata! Try that after 2am on a Friday night. Drive through? Sure! Drunk people in their 20's hanging out? Sure! Green Tomatillo hot sauce... yes!

Now there's...

Roberto's

Alberto's

Alibierto's

Karina's

Juanitas (across the street from me on Coast Highway 101 in Encinitas)

I'm really hungry now.

Originally posted by bruceup:

'Slice'(Boston, MA, 100 feet from Berklee College of Music):

This place really isn't called 'Slice', but it's what everybody called it because the owner would scream ''slice' at the top of her lungs every five seconds or so. Some of the best pizza I've ever had, and also some of the cheapest food I've ever lived on. I don't know if it's there anymore, I haven't been back in 20 years.

I think he refers to Supreme Pizza on Mass. Ave. or possibly Nicky's on Boylston Street, both of which are still there. My favorite in those days was Billy's Pizza & Roast Beef on Hemenway Street. It's gone now because the guy put a motion detector light in the back where the hookers went for "business", and the local pimp torched the place.

Anyway, I read three pages and nobody plugged for Kelly's Roast Beef on Revere Beach???!!!

Even though they're national, Popeye's Chicken & Biscuits is originally from New Orleans (Chalmette actually). They've changed the recipe recently and now there's something "off" about the chicken. A 5 piece with a biscuit and red beans & rice used to be my mainstay.

Now I get my fried chicken from a mom n' pop called McHardie's. Chicken is sold in multiples of 5 pieces (no meat or cut options), fries are the only side and they only come in one size and there's only one size of drink. It's awesome.

Whataburger isn't available in N.O. yet but they're in Western and Northern LA. Really good stuff.

As Lee said, Waffle house rules. Their cooks are also very skilled at breaking eggs without hitting them on anything.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

the first time i was in texas, people kept saying they wanted a "water burger" - and i kept thinking "what the %&$# is a water burger?"

eventually i saw the Whataburger sign, and put it together :freak:

fom my travels i'd give props to Pat's in Philly, Waffle House on the Gulf Coast, the Flying Burrito (?) in New Orleans (right by your house, Gabe - is that the right name? kind of a punk rock joint), Ruby's in Austin, Mafouds or maybe Mamouds Falafel in Greenwich Village NYC, Taj India in Salt Lake City *best Indian anywhere*, the Mad Dog in the Fog in San Francisco - killer English breakfast and the place is a church for English Football. there are more, but that's all that comes to mind right now.

great thread :thu:

OK... I did Roberto's. Now, how about Rubios? The owner of this chain, who gets his hair cut by my wife BTW, allegedly used to travel to San Felipe, Baja Mexico in the 70's and fell in love with their fish tacos. He started his chain on this recipe. I remember hearing about fish tacos ages ago and thinking, "yuk". WRONG!. They're amazing, and have become a staple for San Diegans. Look for a Rubios to open near you in the next 5 years or so. And... they serve beer. Always welcome with Mexi food.

Originally posted by Lee Knight:

OK... I did Roberto's. Now, how about Rubios? The owner of this chain, who gets his hair cut by my wife BTW, allegedly used to travel to San Felipe, Baja Mexico in the 70's and fell in love with their fish tacos. He started his chain on this recipe. I remember hearing about fish tacos ages ago and thinking, "yuk". WRONG!. They're amazing, and have become a staple for San Diegans. Look for a Rubios to open near you in the next 5 years or so. And... they serve beer. Always welcome with Mexi food.

Rubios have made it here too, I really like their fish tacos too, HOWEVER most other places I've had fish tacos they were nasty. There must be a trick to getting it just right. Oh, and Rubios doesn't sell beer here in Utard, think of the children!! :rolleyes:

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Mark, Charlie the Butcher is pretty good, although I think they're a little over priced. I've had good beef on weck in lots of ginmills like Anecones on Bailey and Gray's Place on Delaware Ave. in Kenmore. My wife swears by some place whose name escapes me (it's a German name) that's in a town south of Buffalo. If I think of it, I'll let you know.

Originally posted by Botch.:

Originally posted by Lee Knight:

Rubios have made it here too, I really like their fish tacos too, HOWEVER most other places I've had fish tacos they were nasty. There must be a trick to getting it just right. Oh, and Rubios doesn't sell beer here in Utard, think of the children!! :rolleyes:
You're right about fish tacos other than Rubios. Eeewww! But... they are nice in San Felipe. You walk on the beach on the Sea of Cortez and there will be a little stand with a charcoal fire and fresh battered fish. Right out of the water fresh. Squeeze a lime on it and "Viva Zapata"!

First, a list of things we don't have in Utah that I miss from AZ.

Whataburger

Jack in the Box

Waffle House

Popeye's

But we do have Crown Burger. A local chain that does delicious char-broiled burgers with cheese and about half pound pastramie on top of the beef pattie. I'm not sure if it orginated here or not, but there are a few local chains that do the same thing. Crown, Astro, Appollo. All Wonderful. The Carl's Jr.'s have started making a burger like this lately, but I don't know if it's regional or nationwide.

And yes Botch, fry sauce is an odd thing to be exposed to when you first move here.

"Have ya paid your dues, Jack?""Yessir, the check is in the mail." - Jack Burton

"Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid." - John Wayne

"He danced like he was the bastard offspring of a chicken and a broken electrical cable." - CMDN

Hi Migg, how long have you been here in Utard? I forgot about the Crown Burgers, make sure to try their ribeye steak sandwich, yum!

The original Kentucky Fried Chicken is on South State Street in SLC too, I guess "Utah Fried Chicken" just didn't have the same ring. :D They just rebuilt the original structure last summer, so much for history...

Botch

www.puddlestone.net

A good one that i see in Madison when i go visit my gf is Noodles & Company:

www.noodles.com

They just completely re-did their menu, and i haven't been there since, but basically we were talking about big bowls of noodle-based food. Pesto Cavatapi, Wok Seared Lo Mein, Pad Tai, etc.

Good stuff.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Hey Botch, I've been here since August of '99

I was puzzled when I saw they were tearing down the Original KFC building. I work right around the corner from there. I laughed out loud when I saw the banner they put up reading "Rebuilding the Original KFC". Seems like an oxymoron.

"Have ya paid your dues, Jack?""Yessir, the check is in the mail." - Jack Burton

"Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid." - John Wayne

"He danced like he was the bastard offspring of a chicken and a broken electrical cable." - CMDN

Originally posted by FunkJazz:

Botch:

you missed the secret ingredient to fry sauce - mustard.

1/4 cup Mayo

1/4 cup Ketchup

Tablespoon Mustard

and OH YEAH for Crown Burger :thu:

:eek: Dude, they're going to kill you now! :D

Botch

www.puddlestone.net

Originally posted by Botch.:

Rubios have made it here too, I really like their fish tacos too, HOWEVER most other places I've had fish tacos they were nasty. There must be a trick to getting it just right. [/i] :rolleyes:
If you like fish tacos (and I sure do!) and are around the Malibu area (California), try the ones at the Reel Inn on Pacific Coast Highway very close to Topanga, across from Topanga State Beach. They're really great, some of the best that I've had. Crunchy batter, I think it's white cod, and great sauce and salsa and vegetables, beans, and rice. And I think cheese. Really good.

Well, once we get past the Utah Fry Sauce incident, we can talk about hotdogs. Especially the ones that sit on the rollers for about 5 hours at the 7-11. Or the Chicago Style HotDog vendor on the street that doesn't get much traffic.

There's something to be said about a Vienna Beef dog that has been cooked and cooked and cooked. There may not be any nutritional value left in it by then, but damn is it good.

I thought of this as I ate a chili cheese dog with ketchup n mustard on it. It's a lot better than it sounds, honest!

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

excerpted

There's something to be said about a Vienna Beef dog that has been cooked and cooked and cooked. There may not be any nutritional value left in it by then, but damn is it good.

I thought of this as I ate a chili cheese dog with ketchup n mustard on it. It's a lot better than it sounds, honest!

Rigorous zoning law enforcement precludes the service of ketchup in the proximity of a Vienna Beef Hot Dog here in the flatlands! ;) We've heard it's good with fries, though.

Utah Fry Sauce Incident WBAGNFARB :D

Another New England treat is the lobster rolls and fried clams in the summertime. :love:

McDonald's even trots out a "lobster roll" :rolleyes: (for a limited time only!) at franchises in these parts. I've never seen McDonald's "lobster rolls" in any other place I've been.

Do they try to hijack the local customs in your area? Imagine a McDonald's "Philly Cheessesteak" :rolleyes:

...There's something to be said about a Vienna Beef dog that has been cooked and cooked and cooked. There may not be any nutritional value left in it by then, but damn is it good...

Ok... I don't know how I missed this thread in its' initial life, but this is a topic I can really sink my teeth into!

There are two secrets to a great Chicago dog (if boiled dogs are your passion). First, the above mentioned Vienna all-beef hotdog. Delicious and the perfect pop when your teeth pierce the casing. Mmmmmmm!!! But a Chicago dog just ain't perfect (no matter what toppings you like) until it's sitting in an S.Rosen's, poppy seed bun! Now THAT'S perfection. I usually go for a naked dog and a Chicago (Mustard, relish, onion) style.

You mentioned Portillos last Spring on this thread, Phaeton. Well they are damn good. And they have the upside down Model T as part of the decor in more than one location. Across from Hawthorn Mall in Vernon Hills they have one, as well.

But there are hundreds if not thousands of equally fantastic hotdog joints around Chicago. Despite my love of Portillos (and their many locations), I would have to say my favorites are U Dawg U (Shure Bros, Inc. moved across the street a few years ago) on Touhy, Michael's Red Hots and Stash's in Highland Park. The last two are great, but I love 'em a lot 'cause I grew up there.

Which brings me to another question a bit OT...

Where the f*&k do you live, Phaeton?!? I've attempted (and failed) to make time to meet up with Pauldil in Chicago and PBBPaul near Milwaukee, but it seems (from several descriptions on this thread) that you live about 20 minutes drive from my inlaws' home in Lake Villa, Il. They're right off Fox Lake.

This ain't fast food, but we try and get up to My Honey Company at least once a year on a visit home. Richmond is small, but it's fun to walk around. And one of my and Denise's favorite places to visit is Old World Wisconsin outside Whitewater.

I don't know when we'll be back, but I have no excuse for not saying hello in person. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

The best food chain in the south is Waffle House.

papa john's pizza is pretty good, too, don't know if they are national or regional but they are all over florida...

also good is checkers hamburgers... damn, those are good... they have real milkshakes even... don't know if they are local or national, though....

there's a whataburger in gainesville but i haven't eaten there yet... been meaning to check it out....

there's a tex-mex place in gainesville calle Moe's that's pretty good... that's a chain franchise, i think...

captain D's has it all over long john silver's...

then there's Miami Subs, originally based here in florida... they have great gyros...

Originally posted by TrancedelicBlues:

there's a tex-mex place in gainesville calle Moe's that's pretty good... that's a chain franchise, i think..

Moe's Southwest Grill is an Atlanta-based franchise chain owned by the same folks who own Planet Smoothie, Mama Fu's Noodle House and PJ's Coffee.

They got the former CEO of Hooter's to run it.

The food at Moe's is pretty good but the fuckers who own it laid me off (and then reneged on their severence agreement) after they bought PJ's (which they're in the process of running into the ground).

So don't eat at Moe's anymore. . . :D

Wait, do I sound bitter? ;)

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Archived