Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Guilty Pleasures - Regional Fast Food

Fudd MotherF---in\' Rucker\'s!

Great burgers, do-it-yourself fixin's, and great atmosphere. I go to the one in Annandale, Virginia when I'm visiting relatives down there. The cool thing about the fixin's is that I can also make my own salad out of the stuff, so at least I can get my all-important veggie fix.

That location also sells cookies, cakes and even bread. When you're done eatin' there's some old-school video games and pinball to waste quarters on. Perfect. :)

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Mark Zeger:

My favorite here in Rochester is the chicken dinner you can find at Sal's Birdland or Country Sweet.

Speaking of Rochester, what about Gitzi's Texas Hots?

What I miss most from NYC after having moved to L.A. are the falafel carts. Used to be a guy who set up outside Citicorp Center every day that did an absolutely killer falafel.

From the outskirts of Philly: a Chicken Cheesesteak Hoagie from Valley Forge Pizza. (or Chubby's in Roxborough) Chubby's has the best roasted peppers for toppings. Used to be a regular Cheesteak but gave up the red meat a few years ago. The secret of a great cheesesteak: The Roll!

Paul M. Brown

The Music Collective

www.TheMusicCollective.com

Paul M. Brown

The Music Collective

www.TheMusicCollective.com

"Skyline" or "Gold Star" chili in Cincinnati.

Cincinnatian's claim it's a Greek reciepe but I would argue it's really a remnant left on Earth by the same aliens who built the pyramids.

Somehow the most mysterious and addicting food I've encountered. I tried to persuade the Fox folks out here it would make for a good X-Files script.........

Look the waitress right in the eyes and ask for a "three-way"

The secret of a great cheesesteak: The Roll!

True dat, my man... Nothing but Amoroso's will do.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

The secret of a great cheesesteak: The Roll!

True dat, my man... Nothing but Amoroso's will do.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Originally posted by Jode:

Ahh, Waffle House. Who else speaks the language? For example, raise your hand if you know what I ordered when the waitress calls out, "Triple order over well, scattered, smothered, covered, and peppered."

That would be a triple order of hashbrowns cooked into the ground, "scattered" all over the grill instead of those "patty" looking things, with onions, peppers, and american cheese.

I prefer "chunked" instead of "smothered"

My wife ordered a waffle at the local and found a piece of a hairpin in it. :freak:

Haven't been back there since.

When I was down in Miami last week for the WMC/M3 Summit, I managed to sneak away for lunch at Pollo Tropical, a chain of carribean/cuban style food that only exists in Florida as far as I know. I also managed to eat at a proper Cuban place while there too. The ONLY thing I miss from Florida is the Cuban food.

My favorite Friday lunch spot closed last month, Philly Steak-Out :( It's the only place I know of around here that made a good cheesesteak and they were just in the food court of Westlake Mall, downtown. They had fresh cut fries and they were also pretty good at the fish and chips.

The only old fashioned drive in burger chains here are Dick's and Burgermaster. There used to be a few A&W's but they shut down the last one about 10 years ago :( Until I was about 12 I lived pretty close to both an A&W and a drive in movie theater. The theater is now a Sam's Club.

My great grandfather used to own an A&W. One of my aunts worked there and had to wear skates :D

We've recently gotten a couple of FatBurgers on the outskirts of town. I wasn't impressed. Krispy Kremes are popping up everywhere and a Starbucks on every block that there isn't some small independant drive through espresso stand.

Originally posted by CMDN:

Alright, dammit... I'll be the guy from Philly who mentions Pat's Steaks... right in South Philly.

What about Geno's? I actually prefer Geno's - the cheesesteaks I recall were greasier.

There was also this crepe truck on the Penn campus that served up awesome crepes, though there was always a bit of a wait...Walnut/38th I believe.

Alright, dammit... I'll be the guy from Philly who mentions Pat's Steaks... right in South Philly. You can get them at pretty much any hour of the day. Simply the BEST fast food you can get. PERIOD... With cheese fries, please.

Erik, I love you man, but, you are dead wrong.

Pat's sucks. Geno's sucks. Greasy assed slices of meat that fall out of the sandwich, frequently covered in that orange goo. Sorry, they just don't cut it.

My favorite steak places are Delissandro's in Roxborough and Jims on South Street. Deli's rocks because of the peeper selection, the quality juicy chopped steak and Amoroso's rolls. Pat's and Geno's don't use Amoroso's rolls, BTW. I think they both use the same baker, tho. Most steak sandwich fans FROM Philly usually don't do Pats or Geno's. The preffered topping is American or Provolone. Fried onions and mushrooms are optional. Tomato sauce is also optional, and should be thin and tart. A cheesteak hoagie with mayo is a nice change of pace in the summer. Delisandro's is the king, and it's best to eat there, at the counter no matter how close you live. Frequently, I'd get a steak there, and an italian hoagie to go. I used to be about five minutes from there. Deli's is right across from the usurper, Chubby's, mentioned above. I heard their steaks are ok, but most Roxborough resident like Deli's steaks better. They do have good burgers, though.

Barry's in upper Roxborough is run by the guy who worked at Deli's for years. They are pretty close to the Deli's experience, but no beer, and of course, no Momma's roasted jalepenos in olive oil. The do have a fryer and they deliver, which is great if you are lazy and local.

There is a place on Belmont Ave in Bala Cynwood that does a nice variation. The use a half a loaf of french bread and wrap about a pound of beef in pizza cheese. Not a TRUE cheese steak, but pretty close, and very filling.

A work of warning, if you see a sign for Philly style cheese steaks, run away. That's a sure sign that you will have a crappy sandwich.

Erik, next time you play the Grape, take the band to Deli's for a real steak.

I really don't know what to put here.

We've gotta couple of good local chains here in Jersey.

Jim Dandy's - BBQ and burgers/hot dogs

Cubby's - the same one from "Hollywood Knights"

A boatload of Diners (NJ is the diner capital of the US)

Checkers

Callahan's hotdogs

More lethal greasy spoons than you can throw a gall bladder at (the best ones are always next to railroad tracks).

Live 6, Battery 3, Project 5, Atmosphere, Albino 2, Minimoog V, Oddity, Nord 2X, Proteus 2K

***I can't play for sh*t, but I can sequence like a muthaf*ck*r***

Erik, next time you play the Grape, take the band to Deli's for a real steak.
Dude... I used to live in Germantown... less than two miles from Delassandro's. They're ok, but I got too used to them. I think the quality has dropped a bit over the years. We even recorded an entire album about three miles from Delassandro's and ate there almost every day. Pat's, man... Pat's is it for me... Although I'd gladly consume a Jim's steak wit Whiz any time ya wanna go with me.

But ya know what? It's ALL good. I'll take a steak from any of these places over McDonald's or Burger King any day.

But wait... I almost forgot The Rib Crib on G-Town Ave... HOLY CRAP.. They're open to the public only three days per week - Thur, Fri and Sat, noon 'till 2am. The rest of the week they make the sauce and prepare racks and racks of ribs all day. They have a huge brick grill inside the place. The best ribs I have ever eaten, and I've had 'em all over the world. And it's run by The Rib Nazi - a big black guy with a waxed mustache. He doesn't even look at you unless you take a number from the ticket machine... then he yells at you if you get the order wrong. My wife is scared of him. I understand him, though... the place gets packed, and he has a system. Follow the rules, and you have no problems.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

If you, for some obscure reason, find yourself in Topeka, there's an old fashioned drive-in called Bobo's about two miles from downtown at 10th and MacVicar. They serve "steakburgers" in several versions, but their fame comes from homemade apple pie. You can also get root beer floats, mm mm.

Henry

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

But ya know what? It's ALL good. I'll take a steak from any of these places over McDonald's or Burger King any day.

I guess to each his own. Now, I'm a Roxborough native, and I never got sick of Deli's, though they aren't as good as they were before Barry left. Of course his place, doesn't do the originals justice either. It must be the whole is better than the sum of the parts situation. I know a few people that swear by Pat's, but I was always unimpressed. I hear Chink's is real good too, but I never ate there.

I've heard great things about that rib joint, but never got there.

I really don't know what to put here.

Favorite crap food from places I've visited or lived:

1. 'Runza Drive-Inn'(Lincoln, NE).

A runza is a hand-held Czech meat pie, served with fresh cut onion rings. Sounds awful, but they're to die for when right out of the oven.

2. 'The Thunderbird'(Ardmore, PA):

Best cheesesteak I've ever eaten. A second generation family place in suburban Philly.

3. 'Giordono's'(Chicago):

Deep dish pizza from the original one on Rush Street is responsible for at least 15 pounds I put on my first year breaking into the jingle biz there(great comfort food when you're running out of money and the phone's not ringing yet).

4. 'In-n-Out Burger'(Scottsdale, AZ):

Just a damn good burger.

5. 'Slice'(Boston, MA, 100 feet from Berklee College of Music):

This place really isn't called 'Slice', but it's what everybody called it because the owner would scream ''slice' at the top of her lungs every five seconds or so. Some of the best pizza I've ever had, and also some of the cheapest food I've ever lived on. I don't know if it's there anymore, I haven't been back in 20 years.

Originally posted by Griffinator:

Originally posted by Jode:

Ahh, Waffle House. Who else speaks the language? For example, raise your hand if you know what I ordered when the waitress calls out, "Triple order over well, scattered, smothered, covered, and peppered."

That would be a triple order of hashbrowns cooked into the ground, "scattered" all over the grill instead of those "patty" looking things, with onions, peppers, and american cheese.

I prefer "chunked" instead of "smothered"

My wife ordered a waffle at the local and found a piece of a hairpin in it. :freak:

Haven't been back there since.

HA! A triple order means three eggs. Good job on the hashbrown order, though.

And a big YIKES to the hairpin.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

• 8 months later...
Since there's probably not many people who have been to West Virginia, I'll put in a vote for Tudor's Biscuit World. Great sandwiches made with their delicious biscuits....mmmmmmmm!!!!!

Regional fast food?

How 'bout - Krispy Kreme donuts. Their home is Winston Salem, NC, but they've got stores all over NC and now, all over the world. They're best late at night, after some hard partying... when they're HOT! (Kinda like some women I know... but that's ANOTHER topic, now isn't it?) :P

Hardees? - Their headquarters used to be in my hometown - Rocky Mount, NC (also home to the RMI Electra-Piano). "Hurry on down to Hardee's where the burgers are charcoal broiled." ...that was their theme song/jingle. 15 cent hamburgers were the norm back in the sixties.

And, of course BBQ - too many places to mention. However, Eastern NC BBQ is quite different from Western NC BBQ. We Tarheels have been fighting over that for quite a while now. Ask me... I'll tell you that it's ALL good. Of course, I'm partial to Eastern NC BBQ that is made with a vinegar-based sauce, served with hush puppies, fried chicken, cole slaw, sweet iced tea, corn sticks, snap beans, black-eyed peas, and banana pudding for dessert... Yummy!

Is There Gas In The Car? :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Here's a place about 2 miles from my house:

www.shroomskitchen.com

Some really great and unique treatment to mushrooms and things. They also have soup mixes, cheeses, candies and other things, all made by hand the old fashioned way.

They've got gift baskets that they can still deliver for Christmas too.

It's like a momma, a pappa, a couple of kids and a few employees. It's a real treat to visit. You walk in the place and it just feels good :D

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Let me throw in my usual plug the the Beef-a-Roo!

If you're talk'n some good fast food, look no further. These guys are great, and extremely regional.....almost all of the resturants are located within a 10 minute drive of me.

The one pictured below is where Flyscotts and I had lunch, when he came through town on his last american voyage. We sat under the Cheap Trick shrine. It was a good time.

http://www.beefaroo.com/loc/riverside.jpg

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

Regional fast food?

How 'bout - Krispy Kreme donuts. They're best late at night, after some hard partying... when they're HOT! (Kinda like some women I know... but that's ANOTHER topic, now isn't it?) :P

Actually, I've found that if a woman isn't available, a Krispy Kreme will do the trick! Just make sure it's more Kremey than Krispy though.... ;)

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Archived