Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboards/Organ on Kennedy Center Honors?

MathOfInsects

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On another note, the Eagles are total assholes. They write great music and perform it well, but as human beings they fail miserably. If it were not for the founding members (Bernie, Randy, and Don) who they refuse to acknowledge, they would not sound the way they do today. And you would think that for one night, they would be gracious instead of complete assholes.

On this night they proved how small they really are.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

On another note, the Eagles are total assholes. They write great music and perform it well, but as human beings they fail miserably. If it were not for the founding members (Bernie, Randy, and Don) who they refuse to acknowledge, they would not sound the way they do today. And you would think that for one night, they would be gracious instead of complete assholes.

I liked them better when they were no longer a band, and they would only get together when hell froze over.

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

Anyone watching? Who is that, stage right (audience left), playing the deeply soulful keyboard and organ parts? Nord Electro on top, can't tell what's on the bottom.

Anyone?

It always bugs me how difficult it is to find this type of information for music and tv. Rightfully it should be documented somewhere on the KCH website. If you have it recorded, it might be listed in the rolling credits at the end. Otherwise you're stuck hoping someone will recognize him/her.

Motion pictures have it right. They document everyone associated with the film from the obscure staff positions down to the stray dog showing up on set.

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Right, I checked there too.

There are some decent close-ups, particularly during the last Eagles jam. I was hoping someone would recognize him.

I wrote to some friends who play in the symphony at the Kennedy Center. If they write back (and know the answer), I'll post it here.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Just a guess that it might be Scott Plunkett who was with Don Henley through most of the 80's and later with the Eagles. He also plays for Stevie Nicks.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Just a guess that it might be Scott Plunkett who was with Don Henley through most of the 80's and later with the Eagles. He also plays for Stevie Nicks.

I'm referring to the "house" keyboard player for the night--so not associated with the Eagles. (Also, he's African American.) There was a second player (different side of the stage, playing a Motif), but I am pretty sure it was Larry Goldings. However, you never know, you might be right about that one.

www.joshweinstein.com

To officially provide the answer to the thread:

The keyboardist for the 2016 Kennedy Center Honors was J. Wayne Linsey, who has played with Whitney Houston, Stevie W, and the house band for American Idol--among many others.

Here he is doing a swinging version of Linus and Lucy.

[video:youtube]

www.joshweinstein.com

I have no idea why, but his improvisational style reminds me of Chucho Valdez.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Rickey Minor is listed as musical director for the event so I figured he would use his band members.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Dave they have been doing shows with Bernie Leadon here and there. I don't think their is any animosity. Their reactions were weird. Kind of like they didn't know what to do with it. I wish Vince Gill didn't skip the solo in Peaceful Easy Feeling and the outro....I didn't like the ending. I used to listen to that song on Cassette in the late 80's in bootcamp as it was all I had at that time. Anyway they are done without Glenn Frey basically. I just saw an interview with Don Henley and he is having a hard time with Glenn's death...I could only imagine.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Their reactions were weird. Kind of like they didn't know what to do with it.

especially because they skipped the nomination last year because Glenn was ill. They were hoping he would recover for this year, not have it be a post-mortem award.

I'm betting Mojo Nixon is wishing he hadn't written "that song" right now.

:nopity:

It's funny half the time when they have people do their material and never sounds that good. Especially when they did the Springsteen one... no one really could cover his stuff well. But at least they are honoring that man I guess that's the most important. Heather Hadley did a good job in 2004 with "your song" when they honored Elton John.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I am a bit of a "research nerd." Good work like that truly wins my admiration. Nicely done.

By the way, he has come up here before. Here's a Google search of his name on our site:

Wayne Linsey on KC

Yep. Wayne Linsey was born and raised right here in Washington, DC. He moved out to Cali to be a full-time muso many moons ago and barely looked back.

I know a few people who either played in bands with him back in the day or went to school with him.

A friend of mine told me that he was here a few months ago playing for the choir in honor of their director. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Archived