Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

B3 sounds needed

p19978

Looking for a cheap (<$400) way to get B3 sounds.

Would love a Voce Micro B2 but can't find one (if anyone has one, let em know!).

I have a controller but really don't have time/knowledge for midi; thus the Voce is perfect for me.

Any alternative ideas would be appreciated!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Voce v5 can be found in scratched up condition for under $400. I think the chorus on the microb2 is better. By todays standards these fall short of true b3 clone sounds. Also youll need a $400 ventilator or neither unit will be adequate. You really need to learn some basic midi and run vb3 or maybe b5 on a laptop or tablet. Or maybe galileo on an ipad . Nothing else i can think of will get you a qualty b3 sound under even $500.

edit. The xm2 will still need a vent. I dont know about the hx3. That might be a possibility for you. Its over $400 though.

FunMachine.

Today the Ferrofish B4000+ is $333.32 US plus shipping cost of $31.40 US. Generally takes about 2 weeks. Never had any issues dealing with Thomann. There are things I get from them that I just can't get in the US.

Your price will change as exchange rate changes. but it will be around $365. There is a CHANCE you could have to pay some sort of import duty tax .... maybe. I never had to yet.

Not much else to choose from that is widely available at less than $400.

https://www.thomann.de/intl/ferrofish_b4000.htm

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

You can get away without using a vent on the XM2 as the below video will demonstrate. The XM2 is an XK1 in a rackmount.

<-- fast leslie at 1:40

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XM2/reviews

for sale with XM2c midi controller: https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2806147/Hammond_XM2_XMc2#Post2806147

I have it on good word from the seller that he can meet your price. ;)

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Not too far from your price is the Ferrofish B4000+. Not top tier by any means, but might be good enough. And if you later update to something software based, you can probably still use it as a drawbar controller.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

you can get away without using a vent on the XM2 as the below video will show you. The XM2 is an XK1 in a rackmount.

<-- fast leslie at 1:40

for sale with XM2c midi controller: https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2806147/Hammond_XM2_XMc2#Post2806147

I have it on good word from the seller that he can meet your price. ;)

There you go. I would rather have this than the Ferrofish.

If you have an iPad take a look at the app Galileo from Yonac Software. It is surprisingly great and on sale for $4.99 right now. iPad Camera Connection Kit is $29.99.

There is also an iPhone app called Organ+ but I have no experience with that one.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

If you have an iPad take a look at the app Galileo from Yonac Software. It is surprisingly great and on sale for $4.99 right now. iPad Camera Connection Kit is $29.99.

I just checked out the 2 demo vids on their website and, at least on my marginal headphones at work, it sounded more like a Farfisa on blotter acid than any Hammond I ever heard. OOO

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Thanks for the replies- I should add that I gig with the SK1; just need something to leave at my band practice area.

Doesn't have to be perfect; just usable... and I'm somewhat flexible on cost (a used clonewheel like a VK7 would be great if the price is right).

Gotta say, even though you are not going the way of the vsti like vb3, if authentic sounds are important,vb3 is better than the voce and imho the vase 3. I have had the xm2 the xk1 and xk3c. Vb3 is very comparable to all the clones ive heard except maybe the newest xk5 which i havent heard but $70 vs $3300? If you cant get the 70 bux the GSI organized trio is free and is about 70% as good as vb3 and i think the O trio s overdrive is waaaay better. I dont know why guido changed the overdive in the vb3 but to me its buzzy. The O trio s overdrive is similar but not quite the vent. Try it, im serious.

FunMachine.

Yeah, I meant to mention that the demo on their website leaves a lot to be desired. What's more important is that it sounds way better than the demo video shows. Way better.

Here's a few videos I found quickly. 1st, none are me. :) 2nd, I don't work for Yonac. I'm just really impressed with this software. BTW, I have played the real thing for years and currently use the DMC-122/Gemini live. Does Galileo replace anything, of course not. But for your purposes, $35.00 (provided you have an iPad) is much better that $400.00.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

There's a Hammond XM1/XM1C on Ebay, current bid of $113.

Any thoughts?

Current bid doesn't mean much. Completed Listings will tell you that they have recently gone for $265-$350 (+shpg), so you should expect it will probably end up going for something near that range. But bid whatever you like.

The leslie sim on those is completly unusable.

Well, that's a matter of opinion. People have certainly used it, and worse, and not had audiences walk out. ;-) But especially at the right price, one could start with that and add a Vent or whatever later, as budget permits.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

My guess is because it was the first game changer and many of us already owned the Vent and have not messed with the Lester-K or others. The shop has one along with most the EHX line but I never thought about trying it.

Haven't heard anything in a long time about the Burn either.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

There's a Hammond XM1/XM1C on Ebay, current bid of $113.

Any thoughts?

The leslie sim on those is completly unusable.

Even the 60 dollar behringer leslie pedal is FAR better than the xm1 leslie. People used the xm1s onboard leslie cause they had no choice. Ive had the xm1 and the xk2. Believe me you wont play the xm1 for 5 minutes without buyers remorse. I had a vent when i had the xm1 and the xk2. Sounded good with the vent. I dont know about the lester k . Im not saying its not as good . The vent just seems so transformitive turning bad clones to good. Except yamaha and casio organs like the psr s and the wks, which ive had also. The rt20 worked better on those. I dont know why.

FunMachine.

Thanks again for all the replies: as I read the posts, I'm starting to narrow the focus.

Based on my lack of knowledge and time regarding midi, I feel I need either another board (VK7, etc) or a dedicated module with all the 'buttons" right in front of me (ala VK8M, XMseries/XMseriesC, Voce).

The Kurzweil Micro Ensemble just isnt cutting it for B3 tones, even for practice.

Seems like everyone is still Vent-centric around here. Is the honeymoon over for the more affordable Lester-K?

What CEB said. I already own the Vent and am happy with it, I have no great motivation to bother finding out if the Lester-K is as good.

Even the 60 dollar behringer leslie pedal is FAR better than the xm1 leslie.

So a good deal on an XM1 + $60 for a pedal can still be a bargain.

People used the xm1s onboard leslie cause they had no choice.

There were always choices. Korg G4? Dynacord CLS222?

Wasn't the XM1 the same rotary as the XK1? I thought it was okay, actually. I mean, not by Vent standards, not for overdrive... but still an okay rotary effect.

Xm1 was vase2. Xk1 is vase3. The vase2 leslie was little more than a sick warble. You cant look at the last number as in xk1 or xk2 as an order of issue. The xk2 came out before the xk1.

edit. The korg and dynacord cost almost as much in their day as the vent does. Around 400 bux. And they were out of production and hard to find for a long time. Yes they were the standard leslie sim of the past . But only serious players could hunt one down. Thats why most players had to use the onboard if they didnt carry a real leslie. Some just used a phaser or chorus pedal to do the best they could. Or a univibe.

FunMachine.

Xm1 was vase2. Xk1 is vase3. The vase2 leslie was little more than a sick warble.

Thanks for the correction. I've probably never heard/played the vase2 leslie, then.

Seriously if you start going back to Vase II and before just spend the $334 get the Ferrofish. The ease of use and preset programmability is nice .... if you have deck space to sit it. Not the greatest Leslie sim but better than what you are starting to look at now.

Archived