Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favourite piece of gear from 2016

Bachus

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Behringer's X-Air XR series mixers. Form factor, flexibility and price point all hit the mark on this one. I don't own one yet, but it's will most likely be a 2017 purchase. I'm intrigued by some of the effects, such as multiband compression, to help get a smoother live AP sound.

I'm looking at the tabletop version of the X18 for the studio and theatre work. I need a mixer with a bunch of inputs, but space is at a premium. I don't think you'd find a full-features 18 input mixer anywhere near this size. Will be really cool to mix sound from anywhere in the house from an iPad. Price is nice too.

X18-large.jpg

Damn, now I need 2 iPads. One for the mixer and the other for the Korg Module....

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

A lot of this year's purchases have been disappointments for me.

The Montage was released with excessive reverb in most patches and a shocking lack of master controller function. They eventually released an update with master controller function, and hours of patch programming fixed the reverb issue, but a keyboard marketed as stage professional level should not be released with these issues.

Roland and Korg continue to push their "toy" line of synths and drum machines. While some like the idea of a non-programmable Model D clone, ... Been there. Done that. Never going back. The only use I would have for this is integrating into a modular. But, my Voyager integrates with my modular AND is programmable.

Oh, and then there are the Roli Blocks. What a disaster.

My favorite purchase this year may be the Roland Aira Mixer MX1 but it was technically released last year. Guess my favorite piece of newly released gear may be the Roland Aerophone. Mine is on back order. I'll know whenever it comes.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

If we restrict this to new gear I have personally acquired during 2016, then it might be something I got for free: The new Nord "Royal Grand" acoustic piano sound, which seems to have solved the mono acoustic piano problem.

If we expand this to gear someone else bought, which I can benefit from, the rhythm guitarist in our covers band bought a Carvin C1644P powered mixer. This will allow me to demote my Korg D3200 to serve only as the multitrack recorder. The D3200 will no longer need to act as the live mixing control surface, a task for which it is not well suited. The C1644P will also allow us to add a couple more lines so we can put a dedicated mic on the snare (and turn down the gain on the condenser overheads), and add an extra dedicated mic for a front line vocalist/horn player (reducing mic volleyball in the middle of songs).

Matrixbrute was the most interesting product with a lot of upside...... But it still a preorder item. Something hasn't went smoothly.

Montage, a great piece of hardware. Priced to be the center piece of a rig but without the master control functionality to do the job. But the hardware feels like Yamaha. I play the 8 all the time when I am at the shop but it can't run my rig like the Kronos can.

Everything else that off the top of my head that is quality seems like retreads.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Forte with all the free upgrades for me.

Yet in many ways the Forte still lags behind the pc3x/pc3k.. i hope they keep adding the missing features... however, i have never seen so much improvement in a single instrument...

tough we will never see things like tipple sensor keybed, breathcontroll or Ribbon support... which still makes the pc3x a better midi controller then the Forte...

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha Tyros5 (76), Integra 7, macbook pro/mainstage

Arturia iSEM app for iPad - more fun that anyone should be allowed to have for $5.

From a hardware perspective, I don't have a real vote since the only thing I bought this year (Kronos) was first released 5 years ago ...which probably says something about both the Kronos and it's current competitors in that niche.

But my virtual vote for hardware would go to the OB-6.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

The Montage was released with excessive reverb in most patches and a shocking lack of master controller function. They eventually released an update with master controller function, and hours of patch programming fixed the reverb issue, but a keyboard marketed as stage professional level should not be released with these issues.

Did they ever fix the issue outlined in my post here:

Clonk

?

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Archived