Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favourite piece of gear from 2016

Bachus

For keyboardists 2016 was not really a sensational year...

Whats your favourite piece of gear released in 2016...

I will start out with my personal choice. : The Montage 8, despite the fact that it could and should have been so much more, its still a brilliant instrument...

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha Tyros5 (76), Integra 7, macbook pro/mainstage

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Easy.... The Korg Module (if software is considered "gear")

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

2016 wasn't so bad...

Waldorf Eurorack Pack

Arturia Matrix Brute

Oberheim and Smith OB-6

ROLI Seaboard Rise 49

Roland FP-30

Casio MZ-X500 and MZ-X300

Nord Piano 3

Yamaha Montage

Korg minilogue

Roland System-500

Roland System-8

Yamaha Disklavier Enspire

Radial Key-Largo

Synthogy Ivory VR

Spectrasonics Keyscape

Garritan CFX got a 1.09 update

Waves Electric 88 / Electric 200

Neo Soul Keys went proprietary sample playback engine

Pianoteq got a great sounding new model of a Grotian Concert Royal

We got to see/hear working prototypes of the DM-12

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

1974 Rhodes Stage in beautiful condition purchased from the second owner who'd loved and toured with it since 1977. She babied it and is trusting me with the restoration. Thing is, I won't get a chance to play it until tomorrow because I live in LA and bought it in NY and have had it sitting at my dads house. So when I say trusting I really mean it, she was super wary of some guy from LA taking her baby. But I talked with her for a while about it and eventually she realized that I would love the piano as much as she did and would treat it the way it deserves to be treated. But EVEN without playing it, it's my favorite purchase this year and have been so excited to visit the family and box it up for its trip back to LA.

Other worthy purchases this year include:

Polivoks (vintage not new)

Yamaha CP70b

Moog Mother 32

Next year I'm treating myself to a Deepmind 12...to start...

1974 Rhodes, CP70B, Polivoks, Dominion 1, Behringer D, Mother 32, DFAM, MS20 Mini, Folktek Mescaline, Nord Lead 2x, KArp Odyssey, Jv1080, Digitakt, Hydrasynth,

The reissue of the Minimoog Model D is huge, but I also give credit to Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim for the Prophet 6 and OB-6.

If Tom reiussed a velocity and aftertouch-sensitive, MIDI-equipped OB-Xa, it would be game over...

Sundown

Finished: Gateway,  The Jupiter Bluff,  Condensation

Working on: Driven Away, Eighties Crime Thriller

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

I am jonsin' for a Montage 7....

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I've had my eye on the Casio Px-560, seems like the affordable stage piano that has enough workstation features to allow sequencing, etc., and the built-in speakers are nice.

Also the Casio MZ-x500. Being able to take a board to a jam session and just run off the 40 watt onboard speakers is sweet, and their implementation of the pads for all kinds of stuff looks fun!

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win11 laptop // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

For me, the most interesting piece of new gear released this year that I actually bought and use is the Makenoise 0-Coast. It's a fascinating little semi-modular synth, with oscillator, wave shaper, and low pass gate inspired by Buchla designs, and envelopes inspired by Moog. No filter, and I think that's one of the coolest design choices they made with it, it's a really different synth sound, like nothing else in my studio. I'm building a small Euro system to complement it, got a pair of Pressure Points touch pad/sequencer modules, and having a lot of fun with it.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

2 actually... my fairly new Nord Electro 5 61 and it's great pianos and organs and samples for gigging for the 80's covers work I've been involved with and everything else (and don't know how long I will be playing 80's covers for various reasons) and to that end also the Waldorf Blofeld table top - amazing lil axe, those sounds are really amazing though I was late to that party.

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

I have two, but I don't own either of them.

OB-6. I played one in Sam Ash for about 30 minutes and really loved the sounds, workflow, flexibility and sound! I have absolutely no use for one, and will probably never be an owner, but boy oh boy is it a sweet instrument.

Behringer's X-Air XR series mixers. Form factor, flexibility and price point all hit the mark on this one. I don't own one yet, but it's will most likely be a 2017 purchase. I'm intrigued by some of the effects, such as multiband compression, to help get a smoother live AP sound.

But I did buy a Nord Stage 2EX 76 this year. That's a pretty sweet rig.

Behringer's X-Air XR series mixers. Form factor, flexibility and price point all hit the mark on this one. I don't own one yet, but it's will most likely be a 2017 purchase. I'm intrigued by some of the effects, such as multiband compression, to help get a smoother live AP sound.

I'm looking at the tabletop version of the X18 for the studio and theatre work. I need a mixer with a bunch of inputs, but space is at a premium. I don't think you'd find a full-features 18 input mixer anywhere near this size. Will be really cool to mix sound from anywhere in the house from an iPad. Price is nice too.

X18-large.jpg

I've been avoiding getting snared in modular synths again. Makenoise make that really hard.

Love their stuff!

Yes.

I've acquired a Makenoise STO, MMG, and Maths this year - Tony's at the top of his game right now.

U1 | NP | NS3 | NE3 HP | K10

Archived