Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Of all my studio toys...

Sundown

...the good ole' Native Instruments Pro-53 still gets a lot of air play... Not bad for a ~$150 plugin that's 15 years old. Whether it sounds like a real Prophet is immaterial to me. It has a sonic footprint that sits really well in a mix, occupying just the right amount of space. And it's quick to tweak and get what I want for pads, basses, leads, and comp sounds.

If something sounds good, it doesn't matter how much time passes.

Sundown

Just finished: The Jupiter Bluff

Working on: Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been into vst instruments recently......because i didn't feel the need with so many hardware options around.

A year ago i bought a music computer solely for the use of vst instruments, because Garritan CFX was the first vst i thought did not have a hardware equivalent quality wise.(top sound + top playability in one solution)

Of course i knew about all the fantastic string libraries out there but i was playing in a band or as pianist only.

Now i picked up composing again and want to slowly buy those vst's that i think i need.

I have Garritan CFX and recently bought EZdrummer2 with a bunch of expension packs.

I love it but hell....i had to read through so many topics, reviews, blogs, youtube vids and many more to decide that EZdrummer2 was what i needed as drums.

Now i am in the middle of making my mind up for guitar and bass.

Orange tree, Pettinhouse, Elya Efimov, Ample Sound, Ik multimedia (Modo Bass),Spectrasonic (Trillian) and many many more......

It is a total jungle out there for newbees like myself.

I must say i learned a lot in the process and will not easily end up buying something i truly don't like or need.....but it is extremely timeconsuming.

As for synths i have a Blofeld and Integra7 and Nord stuff....so i probably ignore the softsynth options out there.

I would love to have some objective input from longtime users and not some buyer's defend mechanisms who hail their latest purchase.

Therefor i value the OP because when you still use something that is 15 years old than it certainly has some value.

And i know some brands let you try out their stuff, but i do need the feedback from pros who used it intensively.

I would love to have some objective input from longtime users and not some buyer's defend mechanisms who hail their latest purchase.

Therefor i value the OP because when you still use something that is 15 years old than it certainly has some value.

And i know some brands let you try out their stuff, but i do need the feedback from pros who used it intensively.

Are you using the instruments on stage, or in a studio context?

Sundown

Are you using the instruments on stage, or in a studio context?

Studio context only........my Nord, HX3, Numa, Integra7 are more than adequate to give me a very good live sound.

But the recordings i made with my Tascam DP-24 recorder and hardware are good, but i want it to be better.

So i carefully select those products which give me a better overall sound.

I have cubase, but i like my DP-24 very much, know it and don't need tons of possibilties to mask either a bad sound to begin with,or not enough practice to record without making mistakes etc......

I just want very good sounds and some good effects when needed to compose more.

Not 36 tracks with tiny bits every where, just basic recordings.

And i must say the Garritan CFX is the first digital piano that i truly like in total isolation without any masking of a very busy mix.

I heard many piano vst's in studio's and the difference with even a mediocre Yamaha C3 was big. Therefore i didn't really bother to go in the vst direction for piano's....that changed with the Garritan.......i like it very much also in isolation.

...the good ole' Native Instruments Pro-53 still gets a lot of air play...

for some reason I can't get mine to load anymore but did play with it alot over the years. I just have so many other options I don't bother to figure out what the issue is.

:nopity:

It is a total jungle out there for newbees like myself.

I must say i learned a lot in the process and will not easily end up buying something i truly don't like or need.....but it is extremely timeconsuming.

Newbees should check out all the free stuff out there before buying something expensive software.

Free stuff includes DAWs and VST hosts too.

Very soon you´ll recognize there´s also quality free stuff available and there´s almost no need buying plugins, except you become an advanced and skilled software user in the sense of becoming an advanced and skilled composer/arranger and mixing/mastering engineer too.

You also won´t need any latest greatest software when you don´t have the ears and audio optimized rooms incl. a pro monitoring solution and so on.

Sometimes the better quality of professional/commercial software is just only marginal vs the good freeware plugins.

So, WHEN you get or have the requirements, the jobs and make the money, you might need the WAVES bundles, uHe synths and other hi-end stuff.

Otherwise you won´t.

The same ruled for the expensive studio hardware from the past too.

Yesterdays expensive hardware devices now are todays expensive software devices.

They are much cheaper than hardware, that´s right,- but you also don´t get yesterdays money for the same or more work than you did yesterday w/ hardware.

As for synths i have a Blofeld and Integra7 and Nord stuff....so i probably ignore the softsynth options out there.

Yes you can,- and regardless what you own !

The gear doesn´t make your music,- it´s your brain and taste.

The gear is only tools.

Overkill of tools is killing creativity since a long time.

We ALL have too many tools available today,- when I only think about the giga- and terabytes of sample libraries we host on our DAW machines,- totally insane.

Unfortunately the musical result in most cases is sub-optimal as we can see and hear all day on youtube and soundcloud.

see above ...

Yes it has in fact the same value it had when it was released.

Unfortunately the computer industry as well as the software coding industry will always try rendering it unusable so you have to buy new software after some period of time.

But when you take care for to have some old computers in stock, p.ex. running Win XP SP2 or OS X 10.4.11,- just as examples,- the old software requireing those specs will sound as it did before,- and it will be usable in all the productions you do soundwise.

I don´t believe using old gear, software or hardware will get in the way of producing a hit or some kind of jewel piece of art when the idea is good and the realization too.

A.C.

Studio context only........

I just want very good sounds and some good effects when needed to compose more.

Not 36 tracks with tiny bits every where, just basic recordings.

A lot of it depends on the style of music you do, but there is some really good stuff out there. The real advantage of software instruments (vs. hardware) is streaming, so sample libraries take on an incredible realism when storage and memory are no longer constraints.

For bread and butter sounds, Steinberg's HALion Sonic 2 is pretty good. I have HALion 5.x which has the same library content.

I like Native Instruments' FM8, which is an incredibly powerful FM synthesizer, and you can import all of the old DX7 sysex files as well. But this synth is probably more geared toward smaller sounds and busy mixes, versus what you're looking for.

Arturia has a great idea (take on a bunch of classic analogs and release them as an affordable package), but something stands in the way of me recommending them. I can't put my finger on it, but it might be the factory content. I generally try to roll my own and create my own sounds, but I typically start from something, and the factory content falls short in a lot of areas. I also get really irrititated that the patch levels are set really high (a master volume control would be a godsend).

Eric Persing's stuff from Spectrasonics is first rate, though I don't own any of it. One day I might pick up Omnisphere or Trillian.

Last but not least, the Korg Legacy Collection is fantastic. If you came up playing the M1, T1, Wavestation, etc., their recreations are top flight. Again, this may be a niche taste, but I use the virtual M1 all the time (it still has great analog pads, comp sounds, and bells). Polyphony is virtually unlimited, and they added resonant filters to the M1 and Wavestation (drool...). There is just something magic about those early 90's 16-bit ROMplers.

Like I said, there is a lot of great stuff out there, and I would say that 50% or more of my compositions rely on virtual instruments, as opposed to hardware. Were it not for my Kurzweil, it might be 80-90%.

Enjoy.

Sundown

Archived