Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

2016, the wrap-up. How was your year?

skipclone 1

Well it`s getting to be about that time again, seems like last time was like five months ago.

I`ll say this-in the past I have thought of humans as a toxic influence on the earth, and often on each other.

This year friends stepped forward and saved 2016 from being, frankly, a piece of s**t.

I mentioned my summer journey to Sweden-that would not have happened without the friends I have there. Last month a friend from Brazil who I haven`t seen in almost ten years came back to Tokyo-with, as requested, a big bag of black beans. Holiday cooking is gonna be goood. I also have some Vasterbotten cheese, made in only one area of Northern Sweden. I should get it out of the freezer actually.

But here is an example of how this year has been-the cabaret group I sing with finished our second movie. We were sitting around waiting for news on the premiere-nothing. Then in October I found out that one of the main actors decided-after the whole thing was finished-that she didn`t want her name used in the film. Her name is a central plot device. It affects almost everyone who has a speaking part, including me. She has threatened legal action if the film is released as is. The producers are hoping it`s just a tantrum or something and it will blow over-having performed with this person, I doubt that will happen. I say screw her-it`s a weak case at best and she had most of a YEAR to raise any concerns. The producers considered it a project among `friends`, so they didn`t circulate relseases or waivers-well that sure worked well.

I`m really looking forward to my Christmas Eve performance tomorrow, in a way

it`s exactly the kind of gig I`ve been dreaming about. But overall I will not miss 2016. This year has felt like one long battle against stoopid BS. I got a few wins for sure but, overall stoopid BS is ahead on points.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looking at what I wrote, it`s probably the most un-Christmas like Christmas post ever. Sorry about that, I`m just kind of frustrated. Trying to do something meaningful, especially while at least one of my parents is around to see. But stoopid BS is like an ax murderer who`s convinced I`m his best buddy.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

My wife had that stroke of hers back in June, she's still bedridden and my days are filled with taking care of her and trying to get medical people to at least TRY to appear that they care.

Worst year in several.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

2016 wasn't a bad year for me. Nothing spectacular either way, but I don't have anything serious to complain about. My wife and I are still healthy and I make a living; I just want to get more MUSICALLY active in 2017.

I read an interview with the great classical guitarist Julian Bream who said, "I'm a better musician now at 80 than I was at 70, but I can't PROVE it..." due to some injuries he suffered, leading me to think that I CAN still play guitar (at 63) well, better than I could when I was younger, so now's the time to get out there and do it!

Weird-ass year, seriously . . .

Lots of good Music activity, this past year. Started a new collaboration, got to join in some very cool events, and picked up a few cool pieces of cool gear that I'd been looking for, including the Mel9 pedal.

I've also gotten really frustrated and exhausted, as you know, and felt like giving up altogether. One of the things that has kept me going, other than the good friends I've found here in the Forum, is the local EM community, where people have asked to collaborate with me, record with me, or have me as part of their events, even when I felt I had nothing to offer. Having people want me to share what I do, made me want to continue to do it.

At home, my wife and dogs are well, and work has been good, especially lately, all of which I'm very grateful for. I know what it's like to be sick, broke, and not have a roof over your head, none of which I would wish on anyone . . . I've gotten some major garden renovation done this year, even though I always feel like I should do much more. Still, I've cleaned up and reclaimed some major space, and next Spring, I'll get to see the result.

The other side of the coin: My wife is dealing with aging, declining parents, and a flock of siblings. It's complicated trying to get all these heads together to make, and stick with, any decision or plan of action, especially when different people think their influence or ideas should take precedence, for different reasons. Doubleplusnotgood. Her father has Parkinson's, 10 years now, and her mother just got out of the hospital after a bad leg injury, (one of a series of injuries to the same leg over a few months, ultimately requiring a major skin graft) in time to be home for Christmas, which is a kindness, at least.

I guess this isn't much of a Christmas-y post, either; kind of ambivalent, at best, but hey, I'm still here, and so is anyone reading this, so all the best to all of you, in 2017!

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

Compared to many, I really shouldn't complain.

I'm still employed (even though it's a job with a long commute, no chance of upward movement and a lot of frustration), have a decent income and good healthcare benefits. I am looking for other jobs, but keep asking "what do I want to be when I grow up?" Maybe 2017 will bring an answer and a new position.

Wife & kids are doing great; new job for the wife and new schools (freshmen in college and high school, respectively), where they all are thriving.

Musically, it was a mixed bag. I played out a fair amount, and recorded a cd with the band. However, I was really upset with how the singer/songwriter and the producer handled the recording and final product. I really detest it; there 3 of the 11 songs that I can tolerate listening to.** Between that and playing lots of gigs out of state (compiling with my already long work commute), I ended up quitting in September. I miss playing out, but not much more of it.

I got back to playing bass at church, and enjoy that. The singer there is the music teacher at a high school, and asked me to play in the pit band for their production of "Sister Act". I would have loved to do it, but again, the commute precluded it. I'm hoping that next year I'll be able to do things like this, or get in another band to play out some more. It's a shame to have all this gear not getting used.

I did get to see a few good concerts. District 97, Peter Gabriel & Sting, Marillion (twice) and Andrew Peterson. Hoping to see Neal Morse and maybe finally get to RoSFest in the coming year.

As to Christmas, I'm playing at two Masses at my church on Christmas Eve. The one drawback to that is that one of them is the same time as the music group at my old church are playing. I had played with them for over 25 years, and every Christmas Eve was a "reunion", with any former members who were in town sitting in. This will be the 2nd time I've missed it. Bummer. But I'm ready to spend Christmas day with lots of family, and relax in good company.

God bless us, every one.

**For anyone who's morbidly curious, listen to samples at www.glorifymusic.com. It's weak, I tell ya.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I had some good times and some very sad times this year...I'm just glad we are all around to share some good times in 2017... Take time to enjoy all of your friends and family. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all of my Forum Friends! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Major events for me chronologically:

February- Cruised down to Mexico out of San Francisco

April- I turned 60, my wife joined me into the wonderful world of retirement

May- Moved from California to Florida

August- Wife turned 60

September- My wife survived a second bout with breast cancer, we finally sold the house in California

October- Finally finished constructing my new home studio in Florida

December- Saw Kansas for a second time. They're always excellent, missed Kerry Livgren on guitar however. Cruised to the Western Caribbean out of Port Canavearal

Y'all have a great 2017!

"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix

2016 had some great moments, some good ones, and a few not so great moments for me. Business has been very up and down, although since Thanksgiving it has been great. I had a really nice vacation in July, taking my young lady friend and her girls to northern Michigan. Then after we came home, we started drifting apart, and now we only see each other about once a month.

At the end of September I drove down to Texas for a hunting trip, and had a great time. Climbed a couple mountains, shot an aoudad (sort of a desert mountain sheep), got up close and personal with a tarantula and a more than three foot long fat rattlesnake, and had vultures flying in circles over me.

I still haven't recorded that album that I keep on saying that I'm going to record. Maybe 2017 will be the year. My mom's mental health has been declining rapidly. She'll turn 82 next month; I doubt that she'll see 83. I finished all my Christmas shopping yesterday, so today, I can head to the gym and try to burn off all the calories that I'll be gulping down this weekend.

All in all, 2016 was fairly dull and uneventful, but sometimes dull and uneventful beats the Hell out of the alternative.

I rock; therefore, I am.

I will reflect on this year later. Without think about it this year was pretty calm and normal.

I do want to wish all a merry christmas or what ever holiday you may celabrate this time of year. I will do some details for new years. Jim

Archived