Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ultimate synth spotters challenge: The Valerie video

Sundown

Hey all,

Some of us are quite good at spotting gear in all sorts of places, but this one is a real challenge due to the cinematography... I was perusing YouTube and came across Winwood's "Valerie" video from 1987. I haven't the slightest idea what he is using as a prop. I know he used a DX7 as a controller for live setups, but I can't tell if that's what it is.

Does it matter? Of course not. But if you can ID it you're a far better man than I.

Enjoy.

[video:youtube]RriQt0ebFaw

Sundown

Just finished: The Jupiter Bluff

Working on: Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yamaha DX7.

Stop the vid at 0:04, you can see the telltale stenciling on the back of the keyboard, right next to the permanently attached AC cord, and just above the hinge that runs across the back of the keyboard to allow the front panel to be lifted up like the hood of a car.

Oh, and the mounting hole for the music rest, too.

Later in the video there are better pics that show what looks like a solid dark panel across the top of the keyboard, obscuring the membrane buttons and display (and graphics).

But yeah, definitely a DX7.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/yamaha/yamaha_dx7_rear.jpg

Boy, you guys are good...

I could always catch Keyboard with the occasional typo or caption mistake, but when synth spotting includes references to the AC cord, you're hard core.

It makes sense... Winwood used a DX7 as a controller for live shows at the time.

The flat top or panel in the video threw me... Not seeing the membrane switches pushed me away from the DX conclusion. I was thinking of synths that had spartan front panels, and there really aren't many in that time period...

Again, great work.

Sundown

Just finished: The Jupiter Bluff

Working on: Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

Boy, you guys are good...

Guys? Plural? Hmmm.... okay then. :confused:

You and your staff of Svenglers

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

It's OT, but am I the only one who thinks that song hasn't aged well?

Really?

Do we really want to discuss whom among us has aged well?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Archived