Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: The "secret" Christmassy chord

cedar

That is according to this article from Vox:

http://www.vox.com/videos/2016/12/21/14043244/secret-chord-makes-christmas-music-christmassy

The link has an explanatory video, but here is one blurb.

I count at least 13 distinct chords at work in All I Want for Christmas Is You, resulting in a sumptuously chromatic melody. The song also includes what I consider the most Christmassy chord of alla minor subdominant, or iv, chord with an added 6, under the words underneath the Christmas tree, among other places. (You might also analyze it as a half-diminished ii 7th chord, but either interpretation seems accurate.)

I'm looking forward to future articles on the secret Hanukkahy chord, secret Valentine's day chord. etc...

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Before I even opened this thread, just reading the title, I thought, "well, it's the iv6 of course!"

I thought exactly the same thing! Maybe there's something to it.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I wonder if that was the secret chord that David played to please the Lord?

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Before I even opened this thread, just reading the title, I thought, "well, it's the iv6 of course!"

I thought exactly the same thing! Maybe there's something to it.

There is something to it in that the chord was more commonly used in popular music before the rock 'n' roll era, and a lot of our Christmas repertoire is drawn from the first half of the 20th century; so people who don't normally listen to or perform music from that era other than Christmas music could easily associate the IV6 with that season, and more current songwriters might more refadily use that chord for its nostalgic value.

Nonetheless, I don't believe you'll find the chord in traditional Christmas carols, unless they've been doctored in the arrangement.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Archived