Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rare Red Garland track

Jazz+

"Blues in Mambo", the head is basic, but the solo is so great... it's as if he's talking to me!

"RED GARLAND-PIANO (1923-1984, PAUL CHAMBERS-BASS, ART TAYLOR-DRUMS, RAY BARRETTO-CONGAS. RECORDED, JUNE 27, 1958. William "Red" Garland was an American hard bop jazz pianist whose block chord style, in part originated by Milt Buckner, influenced many forthcoming pianists in the jazz idiom.Garland's trademark block chord tech."

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/Z2-ghS9zPuE

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They tend to overlook it on jazz radio channels. And it's rare in this sense that it was:

"Released for the first time on a 1977 double LP of "Past Masters" and later reissued on two separate CDs. Recorded in 1958, the date went unreleased for decades. " So it was not on one of his well known albums.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

They tend to overlook it on jazz radio channels. And it's rare in this sense that it was:

"Released for the first time on a 1977 double LP of "Past Masters" and later reissued on two separate CDs. Recorded in 1958, the date went unreleased for decades. " So it was not on one of his well known albums.

I see. I think I bought the "Past Masters" album shortly after it was released. In fact, it was the first album I purchased where Red was credited as the leader. I didn't remember that it was only released then for the first time.

Nice track. I had this on vinyl years ago, but never got it on CD or MP3 and had since forgotten all about it.

"Big" Jim McNeely once told me he had asked Red if he always played fifths between the octaves in right hand or if he sometimes played fourths. Red answered by saying "No man, those are thirds!" (Um...Red was obviously messing around with Jim)

Round these parts we play all three kinds of music! Salsa, Cumbia AND Merengue

Archived