Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Hiromi jammin' with Mike Stern at Bar 55 in NYC

Jazz+

[video:youtube]

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike Stern is a monster:

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

For the uninitiated, Hiromi is a monster too!

The girl is a monster:

It looked like it could be Steve smith.

In 1996 I was getting ready to record an album called Plays Well With Others. I was in a club in L.A. and I heard Mike playing with drummer Ben perowsky. The music was unforgettable. I approached mike after the gig, told him I was a fan, told him about my project and that my biggest influence as a player/composer was don grolnick and asked if he'd play on my CD. It was the most enthusiastic response I could have imagined. It was almost too easy, like maybe he was messing with me!

I hired john patitucci on upright and saxophonist George young through a friend, and called perowsky through the NYC phone book. I sent them charts and demos on which I played keys, guitar, drums and bass, and mike called me 4 or 5 times the week before the session to ask how I wanted certain phrases played. I finally joked "you're mike stern! I want to hear what YOU want to play" and he said "no, you're the composer, i want to play what you want." So humble and helpful.

The day of the session...9 am on a sat, the only time I could book! Mike and John show up 15 minutes early, enthusiastic, complimenting and singing the tunes as they set up. Ben came 20 min late which made me uptight, forgot his charts which made me worse, but reassured me he had them down and then complimented me on my drumming as he set up. I calmed down. :)

One of the greatest days of my life, in a NY studio with those cats. We did 5 songs, most in one beautiful take each. George young showed up for second half and was brilliant. Everyone made great suggestions about the music and they took whatever feedback I gave like total pros. When we'd go into the control room to hear a track they made me feel like I'd written the coolest, hippest stuff they'd played in a long time. Turns out that the three of them had just done a record together (mike's I think) so their chemistry was sizzling.

The album was well-received for an Indie with no distribution, of course thanks to their names. I've run into mike a few times since, once in NYC, couple of times at NAMM, and once in Montreal after he played there. He always remembers me and the project, which I take as a compliment. :)

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

• 2 months later...

For the uninitiated, Hiromi is a monster too!

I just caught a documentary of Hiromi on the NHK Cable channel tonight. I've never heard or seen anyone like her. She's a force of nature. Any description of her talent is too weak. But I do know I could watch her play for hours at a time.

Kurzweil PC4, NS3-88, Kronos 2-61, QSC K8.2's.

I saw here in concert here last year. Amazing. I have several of her albums (Brain, Time Control, Spiral, Another Mind). My favorite is Time Control.

It was originally supposed to be a trio (with Anthony Jackson and Simon Phillips), but one of them fell ill so she did a solo performance.

I was really looking forward to the ensemble, but enjoyed her solo. She was very friendly, talking about a few of the pieces before playing them (even a few words in portuguese :) ). It was a small venue with excellent acoustics so were able to enjoy every minute. She played a wide repertoire. Took my brother with me (plays guitar), he was blown away - my wife thinks it's 'too intense'.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

I've seen Mike Stern at Bar 55. It's a small place and he's there regularly with a rotating trio. The night I was there, his drummer was Keith Carlock but I don't recall the bassist.

Hiromi has immense chops that command respect. Her playing just doesn't connect with me. I've listened to her recordings and saw both a solo and a trio performance at Newport. Nothing there for me but the Newport audience loved her.

Archived