Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do you replace your cables ? How often ?

Song80s

All my audio cables are at least 5-8 years old.

They are all medium to good quality. No problems. home studio, stress free environment.

But they have age and I am curious if it would be wise and a plus to replace all my cables.

thoughts ? Thanks

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recently had 1 of my 20+ year old cables fail. It was used regularly, in a zip tied pair running from my mixer to the band sound board. I'll solder it where it broke and put it back in the rotation.

I don't buy expensive cables since most of my runs are 10' or less. I try to take care winding them up and storing them.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

thanks for the good comments. Looks like I don't need to throw money around on new cables.

I thought the cables would degrade in some manner over time but it appears a 5-8 yr old cable is nothing to fuss over.

[70's Songwriter]

Some of my cables are 20-30 years old. Haven't had any problems. I've occasionally cleaned the tips of the old ones but that's it.

so you could sell that 30 yr old cable on eBay as a " collectible " . In Mint condition, of course. Used by the Beatles, etc, etc. ;)

[70's Songwriter]

Some of my cables are 20-30 years old. Haven't had any problems. I've occasionally cleaned the tips of the old ones but that's it.

so you could sell that 30 yr old cable on eBay as a " collectible " . In Mint condition, of course.

I'll ask Rick Wakeman to autograph them. :roll:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

so you could sell that 30 yr old cable on eBay as a " collectible " . In Mint condition, of course.

I'll ask Rick Wakeman to autograph them. :roll:

:roll: authentic Rick Wakeman midi cable used on Yessongs Tour

May have Chris Squire's boot print

[70's Songwriter]

Many of my cables, especially mic cables, are older than my kids, who are 30 and 29.....stilllllll workin'......

sigh. To be 29 again. ;)

[70's Songwriter]

But they have age and I am curious if it would be wise and a plus to replace all my cables.

thoughts ? Thanks

No, it´s the opposite ...

The older the cables, the better the sound.

It´s vintage you know !

Take some rotten spiral (guitar) cable from the 60s,- Schaller or such,- and plug it into your modern digital keyboard.

In a fraction of a second you´ll recognize loss of artificial highs, it´s less harsh and sounds much warmer.

It´s because of "band limited" design.

:D:D:D

A.C.

I'm a DIYer and have made my own audio and speaker cables since 1981. I had to replace plugs whose tin plating had worn off, but the cables themselves are still going.

I don't trust OTS cables or power strips. Every band I was in, there were OTS cables failing left and right. When I checked those bad cables, I don't see any of the tricks I use that make my cables reliable. The last thing I need at a gig is to hunt down a defective cable. I even encountered an OTS extension cord that went bad and caused a brownout.

It´s vintage you know !

A.C.

This is why I use very old cables from my audio interface to the FOH. It's last last bit of vintage help with my VSTs that emulate old synths

:) :)

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

thoughts ? Thanks

It´s vintage you know !

Take some rotten spiral (guitar) cable from the 60s,- Schaller or such,- and plug it into your modern digital keyboard.

In a fraction of a second you´ll recognize loss of artificial highs, it´s less harsh and sounds much warmer.

It´s because of "band limited" design.

A.C.

http://www.pmslweb.com/the-blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/the-sarcasm-is-strong-in-this-one.jpg

[70's Songwriter]

I didn't invest in oxygen-free copper, so I have been having to replace mine lately; the oxygen from the atmosphere has leached through the jacket and is slowly changing their directionality.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Funny to run across a thread like this today, as just this morning I purchased a set of new cables which I haven't done in like 15 years!

I have mixed results with my cables, depending on the quality of each piece, and the amount of gigging it's been through. I needed to make this purchase because some of my cables have begun to "jiggle" - you know, when the connection isn't firm, and just a little nudge on the plug causes intermittent static noise and loss of connection.

Some of my cables have lasted up to 20 or more years without problem. Others give out in less than 5 years. I try to not purchase deep-cheap stuff, but I also stay away from overpriced brands like Monster. Although I have a soldering kit and could do some repairs, I just don't have the time for it.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

Mine are mostly home made, the cable harness coils up nicely into my rack. I refreshen the connectors now & then with deoxit.

Can't remember a failure....but I do hate when others walk on them, kind of a pet peeve.

There are audiophiles who swear that an expensive speaker cables costing hundreds of dollars per foot make a difference in sound. And, I guess you can argue that it can be the case because those super-expensive speaker cables have lower impedance. In the case of speakers cables you're driving a lot of current to a small impedance and the argument would be that small changes in the cable impedance do make difference because the total impedance is just a few ohms.

How is the situation with instrument cables? That's small current going to a high impedance. I understand that the same argument does not fly because the input impedance going to the preamp is high and therefore small change in the cable impedance would be meaningless. Am I right?

Archived