Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How hard is jump?

J. Dan

I love it when they post a video by an obscure artist with really crappy audio and say "What synth is making the sound at 1min23 seconds -1min 23 1/2 seconds". Invariably there will be 3 or 4 other sounds also playing during that 1/2 second and they are unable to articulate which one they are asking about.

Good times. :cheers:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"What synth is making the sound at 1min23 seconds -1min 23 1/2 seconds"

Nord Lead.

You're welcome.

Cheers, Mike.

Um, actually, that song is way too old. Couldn't be a Nord Lead; it's a Nord Lead 3.

As for me, the Quadratix patch on the Alesis QS series is as good as it gets for 'Jump'. (and, a quick google shows me I've said as much at least one other time here over the years).

I remember pressing the tune button all the time!

There were several reasons why the OB-X had trouble staying in tune. Some due to design errors, some due to compromised mechanical integrity of the case, some due to inferior components.

Once I straightened these out, my OB-X became rock solid. In fact it stays in tune far better than any of my CEM-based polysynths (Memorymoog, OBSX). The discrete VCO in the OB-X (and SEM) can be very stable with the right components.

If Bo Tomlyn did nothing but bitch about why people cannot program their DX7's, he would not have made good money and gained that reputation.

Most people don't realize how simple the patch is to create. Just go to the guy, set his synth to 2 slightly detuned sawtooths, and collect $100. :idea:

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

> The discrete VCO in the OB-X (and SEM) can be very stable with the right components

Cool! I can't believe I gave mine away - because I had a DX7 and the DX7 could make ANY sound! hahahaha

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

As for me, the Quadratix patch on the Alesis QS series is as good as it gets for 'Jump'. (and, a quick google shows me I've said as much at least one other time here over the years).

Agreed! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/HandsomeTramp/smilies/tiphat.gif

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I think back when Jump came out I used a Roland JX-8P. It was a decent simulation.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

• 3 weeks later...
Although I don't intent to play this live, I still like to play around with getting the sound closer and closer on my Prophet '08. I slowed the beginning down in order to hear if there is a pitch blip/ramp up or down at the beginning (which I didn't hear). I noticed that there is a very rapid fire tremolo at the beginning of the notes, which may be worth experimenting with.

Archived