Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

(a bit OT ?) Moving to Logic after years of Cubase ?

mauriziodececco

I started using Pro24 and then Cubase on my Atari.

Moved to PC (Cubase Score) and later to Mac; in the update process i was stuck with the high end version.

In parallel, i shifted from a purely Home Studio composition activity to a more live oriented activity,

and Home Studio is used now to prepare song demos, to prepare some compositions (now i often work on the

piano with a pencil and some paper :). I take the pleasure to write a few things, like some music for a photographer

friend slideshow.

Up to know, i just kept my home studio updated; new versions of NI Komplete, new versions of Arturia virtual

instruments, and new versions of Cubase every year. Well, at the end is a significant amount of money (without considering

the now officially obsolete 2009 Mac Pro that i hope will stay around some other years).

Nothing against Cubase Pro, but i pay the yearly Cubase tax to get in exchange more functions that i do not need,

and more complexity; only thing that i really hate is the fact that it is still not integrated properly with the Mac

"Mission Control/Spaces" window management.

Yes, you can stop pay the upgrade; i did it once, and i lost the pivot version to move my cubase score files to Cubase SX;

and you know the story: this year will be good, next year too, and then there will be a reason why your old version do no work anymore for you (change of the hardware, mandatory new OS version, etc etc).

So, i am considering migrating to Logic Pro X, for reducing the expenses, having it in both my travel machine and my music machine, and having something that is supposed to follow the hardware/software platform without necessarily induce new expenses. Probably i would keep Cubase, too many files around to throw it away.

Anybody did the transition for similar reasons ? Suggestions, Caveats, Warnings ?

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in the same boat. Still rocking Cubase 6.5.5 here, and the update to 9 is a whopping $299. Logic can be had for $199.

I had some problems with the transition to Mavericks, and Steinberg politely told me they can't help me because 6.5.5 is only supported up to Mountain Lion. Everything else works great, by the way, it's just the Steinberg stuff that is not working 100%.

I will need to update my studio computer to a more current OS version at some point, and I'm thinking long and hard about jumping ship.

My main concern about Logic is Apple's long-term commitment to the market. I'd hate to learn a new DAW only for them to discontinue it further down the road.

Frankly, I think Cubase has been great, but Steinberg not so much. And I'd like to get rid of all dongles.

I wonder about Ableton Live now. There seems to be quite a demand for it in the touring scene here.

My main concern about Logic is Apple's long-term commitment to the market.
http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/11/04/apple-exec-confirms-logic-pro-x-getting-touch-bar-support-by-early-next-year

"Thanks for reaching out," Apple marketing director Xander Soren wrote to an AppleInsider reader in response to an email question about Touch Bar support, and whether Apple is even still planning to continue Logic development. "I'd like to assure you that we are fully committed to Logic Pro X, and we will be bringing Touch Bar support to Logic by early next year."

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I only briefly tried Cubase, many years ago so I can't speak to that part. I've been using Logic off-and-on for a couple years now...IMO the main draw for a hobbyist like me--that doesn't tend to really dive in to a lot of editing typically--are all the nice plugins that come with it. At least I like them :) Ableton also comes with instruments but I'm not sure how they compare there. I have used Ableton on a friends project and I liked how very little was hidden in a menu. I can't say I really have found Logic all that intuitive; many times I have to google how to find some pretty basic stuff only to find it was on some menu under a little icon somewhere. But all that said, you get used to just about anything.

I dislike that it is Apple only. I love using Apple hardware and OS but I'm a bit uncertain about them moving forward. The prices of macbook pros vs some of the design decisions are concerning IMO (I know we've beaten that horse beyond dead...) I will mention that I made the plunge and upgraded to Sierra (a several-version jump, I was Mountain Lion) and I've had no issues so far.

• 5 months later...

Resurrecting the thread, for future reference: i studied logic, even tried it in an Apple Store, and downloaded the Cubase 9 trial.

I think that for producers, and large projets, Cubase 9 brings incredible added value (i think that the Mixing Console History, for example, must be an incredible value for big producers and people like Hans Zimmer :).

But i am not a big producer; its seems that the few composer and home studio related improvements of Cubase are essentially inspired by Logic and other products.

So, i do not see a point in investing money in keeping Cubase updated; while i'll probably keep it (or downgrade to Cubase Elements to be able to read old projets) i will invest my next DAW money either in Logic or in Ableton Live (this is an other matter, see my other post).

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

Logic is just a tool, a pretty awesome one at that - but you could use Cubase, ProTools, Digital Performer, Reaper, Studio One, Reason, etc. etc. etc.

It doesn't matter which DAW you use - it's the music you make and if you know enough about how the software works to finish your work with results you're happy with.

You also don't need to upgrade. If you like Logic Pro vX and know how to use it well - stick with it.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I got into Cubase myself around version SL. I've upgraded to 6.5 or so and that's as far as I've taken it. I loved Cubase on my PC recording rig for many years. I also invested in the add-ons (The Grand, HALion Symphonic Orchestra, the Absolute VST Collection, which included PadShop Pro, HALionSonic, Retrologue, etc.) and I had a workflow that was using all they had to offer. Like you, I realized that I too was paying a tax for using it. Even though I would usually skip over the next update over the years, I still found myself sinking $200-$300 each time I did. I looked it up recently and it's going to take me almost $500 to upgrade to the latest and also get my other add-ons updated to the latest versions too. I had been PC ever since I started playing with VSTs back in 2002 or so. About a year or two ago I bought a MacBook Pro and abandoned the PC platform for music. The only things I'm missing are Guido's stuff which I can use again if I get 32 Lives to wrap them. At the time I purchased it, I also bought MainStage and then Logic Pro X a few weeks later. I have been very happy with Logic. When they updated it to include Alchemy I was really pleased. I had been using Cantabile mostly (and experimented with Forte) on the PC and couldn't resist the thought of MainStage being my virtual rig after reading thoughts from people on this forum. I had been a Mac guy all through the 80's so the transition back to iOS wasn't too bad. I had almost forgotten how easy the Mac platform was to work with. It just freaking works! (disclaimer: not trying to turn this into a Mac/PC flame war - I'm typing this on my PC). Probably doesn't hurt that me and wifey both have Apple watches, iPads, and iPhones either. I supposed most of the Kool-Aid has been drunk.

Of course Mainstage has all the Logic instruments in it, but I have found the workflow in Logic to be very similar to Cubase. I trust that Apple will continue to support the artist community over time, and I like the fact that they haven't been charging for upgrades. Not to mention the price of admission is less than what I originally spent on Cubase SL. I originally bought Cubase because it was cross-platform. I have installed in on my MBP but have not spent a lot of time making it work. It needs some tweaking to get everything taking to each other again, and I'll tackle that at some point. I still use my add-ons within Logic Pro X so I'm not missing those instruments. But you can do a lot with just the built in instruments in Logic. I also subscribed to MacProVideo to learn about Logic and MainStage. There are lots of courses in there that have been very helpful. It's nice to learn at your own pace too. Okay, enough ranting. I hope this has helped.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Big fan of Logic, and pretty big fan of OSX (though don't care much what i use). Logic's big deal to me are all the built-in instruments, many of which are very good (IMO).

As a daw I've had my struggles with it, but that's how it is with any of them. You hunt and peck for some darn function that is hidden on a submenu of a menu reached by clicking the little gray doodad that you never even noticed before....

I wish Logic had more options for color schemes but that's pretty minor in the big picture. Not a big fan of charcoal gray everywhere in the interface (as opposed to clothing, seems I have mostly charcoal gray!)

I only tried Cubase once many years ago and found it pretty confusing compared to Digital Performer, but again I have no doubt I would have gotten used to it.

Our family was gifted a new macbook pro--wife did a real estate favor for a friend--and...so far I'm not really a fan. It's *too* thin, and having dongles to convert everything to usb-c is currently a hassle; though I guess if all peripherals were usb C then problem solved! The thing I really hate so far is the "virtual escape key"...I keep hitting the damn thing accidentally. I'm used to having my pinkie up by the actual escape key edge and now there is no actual key...

Hi,

Here is a reverse story... I started with Notator in Atari ST which lead to a very natural transition to Logic in PC. I loved Logic. But then Apple came and stopped the PC versions so I had to change to Cubase. Severe allergies to apples. I updated it until Cubase Studio 5 and then I stopped. For what I do, recording keyboards, small demos, small soundtracks, I don't really need more than that. It works pretty smooth.

Regards,

Fran

Hi,

I started with Notator in Atari ST which lead to a very natural transition to Logic in PC. I loved Logic. But then Apple came and stopped the PC versions so I had to change to Cubase. Severe allergies to apples. I updated it until Cubase Studio 5 and then I stopped. For what I do, recording keyboards, small demos, small soundtracks, I don't really need more than that. It works pretty smooth.

Regards,

Fran

Well, I started w/ C-Lab Supertrack on Commodore SX (portable vers. of C64) and already using a Steinberg MIDI interface,- then switched to ATARI ST using Notator (SL), Cubase and Notator Logic as well.

Then I had Emagic Logic Gold 4.8 on Mac G3 running OS9 and using the serial-interface dongle, followed by Logic 6 w/ the USB dongle on G4 running OSX 10.4.

Guess what ...

I was never satisfied and was tired buying new Apple computers all the time, so I focussed on PC and when Emagic leaved PC users in the dust I bought Cubase VST 5/32, upgraded to Cubase SX3, invested in new hardware (Steinberg/Nuendo AD/DA, Midex-8 & Timelock Pro) and more software,- Wavelab 3, WL-4 upgrade and many plugins incl. Nuendo Surround, Halion, lots of Steini-VSTis and Waves-bundle as well,- and leaved it as it is for a long time because it simply worked.

There came the day I had the feel it would be great to move on and upgrade Wavelab and most plugins as also Cubase SX3,- but nada ...

It was too late and there was NO acceptable upgrade path anymore, except it being so expensive it was comparable to buy all new and Waves leaved me in the dust because I had no WUP.

That was it for me w/ Steinberg and Waves as it is w/ Apple and Logic since a long time.

I sold what was possible and didn´t regret investing in Reason 4, upgraded to v6.5 up to now,- and Presonus Studio One Pro 2.

I also try Reaper occasionally, watching it´s evolution.

Now, that was a software journey of nearly 35 years ...

And I´m still a hardware guy !

Today for what I need to do w/ software it´s all still covered by the old software versions, Presonus Studio One Pro v2 and Reason 6.5 on a Intel dual-core PC running WinXP.

And there´s Sonic Core SCOPE 5.1 running on the same machine and XITE-1 DSPs.

I also use old controllers, the weighted action of my MK80 midied into Kurz PC361, a Edirol PCR300 (for Reason) and a JL Cooper Fadermaster Pro.

I´ll be late to the party building a "new" computer this year, possibly using just only Win7 SP1 (which IMO is the best for a audio machine actually) and I imagine upgrading Studio One Pro to v3 and Reason as well as NI Komplete,- but it can also be, I buy a Reaper licence and upgrade Reason only.

I´m unsure actually.

For doing what you mentioned above, Cockos "Reaper" does it all and regardless of platform or OS (WinXP, Win7-10 or Mac OS X).

It´s much more advanced than any older Cubase version meanwhile.

A.C.

Haha, MIDI sequencers of yesterday that evolved to the DAWs of today.

Neat topic...

I went Passport Master Trax Pro on AMIGA OS

Cubase 2 through 5 on Mac OS 7-9

Logic on Mac OSX

Pro Tools on OSX and/or Windows

Was happy with all of them. Many hours of enjoyment composing, arranging, demos and quite a few paying jobs along the way.

Just tools, my friends. Pick one, learn it well, and make music!

I wonder about Ableton Live now. There seems to be quite a demand for it in the touring scene here.

An Ableton skill set would be a good thing to have. I would never see Ableton as a replacement for Cubase though. Ableton is loop based .... and squirrely and hard for me to get my mind around. I thought it was supposed to be easy. Abelton is not easy, probably because I'm an old guy.

In comparison Cubase is linear, more like tape. There is still a place and need for traditional linear recording.

For the price you cannot beat the Reaper.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I used Live for a while, it does at least the basic midi stuff that I've always done on Daws/sequencers (Vision, performer, voyetra, cakewalk etc ). I don't think it had stuff like a staff view. I never so much as opened the clips or used loops in it, I just recorded midi tracks and some vocals. I also didn't find it easy to get into despite the claims, mainly because while there were no nested menus (something they touted), every feature was on a little button or crammed somewhere in plain sight :D

Once I got rolling with it I found it very easy to write music on however. Dragging instruments over to the track and boom, vs navigating menus to find the instrument you wanted (granted, most people set up templates, and it's not that big a deal).

One thing I think is for sure. This is not OT. I go through phases of opening and closing the doors on DAW selection. I went through a great and real long stint with Pro Tools vanilla. I now find myself pushing with Logic (again). I remain intrigued by Cubase. ... I know Ableton will always be a one-day potential 2nd fiddle for me. I remain linear- no matter how much I want to explore pattern. (For now, I'd rather incorporate pattern into a linear DAW.)

I enjoy reading other people's DAW story lines. And where they're now, and what they're thinking. Elmer, I know you're right. And, I think it's a good I take a break from PT and push with a more creation-centric DAW. (At least that's what I tell myself.)

I used all cakewalk sonar from the first edition to sonar 3(windows xp).

I passed ,back in 2007, to imac + logic 8 and never look back...

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

I love cubase. I got the "artist" version about 18 months ago and it is excellent. But I hate the way that we are expected to pay for our programmes over and over again...... I don't want or need any updates to it ever again. It is fine and I am content. I especially don't want to spend money and then have to relearn a programme becasue it has been radically changed. Life is too short to spend it suffering over sorftware. I just want to use the thing.

But I know what will happen. At some point my computer will update itself to a point whereby poor cubase cannot keep up and the two will tearfully part company. So I am wondering if anybody has done the maths: which would be the cheapest approach: To update it as soon as a new version arrives, every time; or to do less frequent but more expensive updates; or to (as my instinct leans towards) never update it and face having to repurchase the programme when it ceases to keep up with the computer?

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

My mind is all but made up, when Cubase 6.5 stops functioning properly I will switch to Logic, something I probably should have done 15 years ago.

I have used trial versions of Studio One, Ableton Live, Reaper, and Cubase 9 Pro, and of those I liked Studio One the best. But it still lacks a few features I really want/need, and Live and Reaper just feel counter-intuitive to me.

Cubase 9's UI is a design mess, neither fish nor flesh. Looks like they wanted to implement Studio One's approach but couldn't fully commit to it and now it's an inelegant combination of old and new. But it is easier on the CPU than 6.5, it seems.

Cubase has mostly been good to me, but I'm kind of done with Steinberg. However, I will do the paid update to Halion 6. I use HalionSonic a lot, and it seems it's not yet on an annual depreciation path.

Zephonic, I am eager to hear your thoughts along your road of transition. ... As I'm new to Logic, and Cubase was my road not taken. (I am intrigued about the Motif connection with Cubase.)

Cubase drove me triple-bastsh*t after a while. I'll spare you the details, as you probably know the drill of software madness by now. I chucked it for Logic and was ushered into a world of blissful stability. Its been 9 years and I just moved up to v.10.3. I'm liking what I see. It has its growing pains, but I can still be off to work in 4 clicks or so. Wow. To each their own idea of the best DAW, but Logic works for me. You'll probably want to add a few instruments; the bundle is extensive and high-quality, but not totally comprehensive. OTOH, Alchemy alone is a huge resource, about 2,600 patches strong. You might feel the need for a more complete orchestra or a specialty instrument like a Novachord, but otherwise there's very little missing. The cosmetic changes are generally practical and what was good is now often incrementally better. Logic beats using my old Onkyo double cassette deck for clever splices by many parsecs. Every practical DAW-thing you've learned from Cubase will still apply; it'll just be minus the AARRGGHHH factor. Good luck with it.

"We're the crash test dummies of the digital age."
            ~ Kara Swisher, "Burn Book"

• 1 month later...
Zephonic, I am eager to hear your thoughts along your road of transition. ... As I'm new to Logic, and Cubase was my road not taken. (I am intrigued about the Motif connection with Cubase.)

I bought Logic about six weeks ago, and am plodding on with it.

I have ten years worth of back catalog on Cubase, so I still use that more as of now, but I make a point of starting new stuff in Logic.

Ironically, I also purchased the Cubase update to 9 Pro with the Summer Discount, but haven't activated that yet for a number of reasons.

I will say, LPX feels like a step back in terms of audio editing. Even my old Cubase 6.5 does that more elegantly. I also dislike Logic's inflexible track approach.

But there is other stuff that Logic does better, like multiple take management etc.

I did this switch too. No worries, you'll be fine after doing few projects. You can leave it in simple mode or if you really want to know where everything is, turn on the advanced user interface. You're probably better off if you already knew your way around Cubase. YouTube is your friend!

Yeah, it's in advanced mode. Simple mode is infuriating.

Logic and Cubase are largely similar, but a lot of small differences do make for a very different workflow. I guess I should just sit down one of these days and customize all the key commands for starters...

Archived