Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Check THESE out!

whitefang

An ad for this company showed up on the main page of my browser one day:

https://www.thaliacapos.com/

Seems like a pretty stiff price for a CAPO! But looking around on the site, it seems they offer interchangable pads that look as if they might capo some strings while leaving others "uncapoed". If that's true, it sounds kind of interesting and opens up the possibility for some applications.

Thought?

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen Thalias before (online), and from what I understand, they're VERY good. But I think their product is priced the way it is because of exotic materials. IOW, you're paying for pretty.

And I don't see anything wrong with that.

After all, GUITAR makers do that.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Yeah, I'd seen those; functionally, they DO look like some of the best capos to come down the 'pike. I see that their prices vary depending on materials, for that 'bling factor'. I will very likely eventually get around to ordering one, myself; Chrome with Teal Angel Wing inlay would go mighty nicely with my Les Paul...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I never use capos and if I can ever find mine, I use it for adjusting string height as recommended by Fender on the 1st fret. I lovingly refer to Capos as Cheater Bars...and my guitar buddies that love to use them and Capo all over the place, I lovingly refer to them as the Capo-ites LOL! One of them after years of bickering and joking about capo use, finally admitted that my philosophy of not cutting off any part of the neck made sense to him...everything below the capo is useless and I miss having those frets! I do love the sound that many players get with the capo (like Paul Simon) playing in the higher registers and can also really appreciate a capo for doing 12 string work without having to use barre chords all night...

Those are some very nice looking Capos but are a little over priced for what they do IMHO. Just like our pretty guitars LOL!

I have seen Capos that have different pads for each string which allows for altered tuning. I could find them useful one of these days. I have also seen duel sets where one capo does two strings and another does the other 4 +/-. If I ever do decide to use capos, they could be of interest too... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

I own one capo. Don't recall the brand but the only use I've found was to capo up to open E from open D. Well, except for the occasional time someone wanted to sing in a key I wasn't use to and I found it easier to capo up rather than transpose leads.

Yeah, I have two, and as I elsewhere stated, I could probably buy three or four more for what I'd pay for just ONE of the Thalias. And since I don't perform professionaly, there's no NEED for my capo to be "pretty". Unless of course, they come with a guarantee of $60 better SOUND!

Whitefang

One thing that just came to mind:. Does anyone have an occasional problem with intonation when using a capo? Seems like there were times I was a little sloppy in positioning the capo and the intonation was off. Time to use a lot of fingering technique's😂

One thing that just came to mind:. Does anyone have an occasional problem with intonation when using a capo? Seems like there were times I was a little sloppy in positioning the capo and the intonation was off. Time to use a lot of fingering technique's😂

Many Capo aficionados should learn to retune anytime they add or move the capo. You can still tune even when it's clamped tight. The capo position between the frets can throw off the tuning when it is too close or too far from the fret wire... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

This Thalia capo looks very quick and easy to use and move up and down the fretboard; and the interchangeble pads also appeal. Those are its biggest selling points as far as I'm concerned, and well worth the price to buy once.

lolwtf, I'm not paying $60 for any capo.

Many Capo aficionados should learn to retune anytime they add or move the capo. You can still tune even when it's clamped tight. The capo position between the frets can throw off the tuning when it is too close or too far from the fret wire... :cool:

I've found that placing the edge of the capo's pad just barely over the back-side of the fret eliminates any tuning and intonation issues. I never have to re-tune with a capo.

If a string happens to be, or go, a little out of tune while I have a capo on there, I just tug gently on the string behind the cap if it's flat, or in front of the capo if it's sharp, to fine-tune it.

When using a capo, if one string is out the rest of them usually are as well. You won't notice it as long as you just play with yourself LOL! With my tin ear, you can be a cent flat or sharp and I wouldn't hear it. When you watch a solo act you won't hear it either.

I only have one bottleneck buddy that checks tuning whenever he moves his capo and it only takes him a second. I give him kudos for doing it as it does make a difference on his guitars, to his ear. He uses 13 different tunings and capos like a big dog.

I have watched capo players that pay no attention to the placement or angle of the capo. If I can hear a difference in tuning with my tin ear, I know if I put my snap-on tuner on their guitars, it will tell the tale. How flat the fret board is, how much neck relief, how much fret wear, where and how the capo is placed on it, can contribute to tuning issues when playing with others. Most of it is not that noticeable and not worth worrying about.

Players that go back experiment and check their tuning and intonation now and then will know if they have any capo tuning or intonation issues on any of their guitars. +1 They can learn to avoid them all together. Others will never know... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

I've found that placing the edge of the capo's pad just barely over the back-side of the fret eliminates any tuning and intonation issues. I never have to re-tune with a capo.

+1, Caevan, that's the way I'd learned to use one; hug the fret wire.

I have one Shubb for 6-string Guitars, and two Kysers, one for 6-string, one for 12-string. The Shubb is a clamp, well-made, but not designed for quick-change work. The Kysers are easy to move, and easy to grab hold of on the fly. Neither are cheap, but if I'm going to spend $60-75 mostly on cosmetics, I'd rather upgrade the hardware on a Guitar; a set of Grovers cost right around $60.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

When using a capo, if one string is out the rest of them usually are as well. You won't notice it as long as you just play with yourself LOL! With my tin ear, you can be a cent flat or sharp and I wouldn't hear it. When you watch a solo act you won't hear it either.

I only have one bottleneck buddy that checks tuning whenever he moves his capo and it only takes him a second. I give him kudos for doing it as it does make a difference on his guitars, to his ear. He uses 13 different tunings and capos like a big dog.

13 different tunings?

Sounds like you're talking about CHRIS SMITHER! :)

Whitefang

+1, Caevan, that's the way I'd learned to use one; hug the fret wire.

I have one Shubb for 6-string Guitars, and two Kysers, one for 6-string, one for 12-string. The Shubb is a clamp, well-made, but not designed for quick-change work. The Kysers are easy to move, and easy to grab hold of on the fly. Neither are cheap, but if I'm going to spend $60-75 mostly on cosmetics, I'd rather upgrade the hardware on a Guitar; a set of Grovers cost right around $60.

I don't think that these capos are mostly cosmetics; they sure look to be superior in ease and quickness of use, and they have interchangeable and replaceable pads; they are the most professional capos I've seen come down the 'pike. Though I'll admit that having options to choose from that nicely match ones guitar are also very appealing.

13 different tunings?

Sounds like you're talking about CHRIS SMITHER! :)

Whitefang

Yep, 13 and a capo...I use 4 tunings for G. If I capo'ed them 12 frets, that would be 48 tunings LOL! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Ok, convince me.

Why use a capo at all? Most of us here have more than enough guitars. Just use alt tunings. Isn't a capo just another way of making the tone sound different? Shouldn't we as players, professional or hobbyist, make sure we know how to play our instruments?

Admittedly I am a cynical lout, colored by my guitar instructor, but I am open to being wrong.

I use standard tuning on all of my guitars as I like to use scales and improvise. The altered tunings throw me off even if it's just a drop D on the 6th string LOL! I can't even use a capo on my square neck dobro and so I use altered tunings: G B D G B D and E B D G B D. For a minor tune, I use G Bb D G Bb D and for rockabilly and blues tunes, I use a 7th tuning G B D F B D low to high...I may have to try these tunings on one of my guitars and even throw a capo on it some day LOL! :cool:

@ ajm558, there are a lot good uses for capos and they allow for some very fast transposing. They can even be used as learning tools LOL! but, +1 they should not be used as a shortcut to avoid ever learning the instrument IMHO. :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Ok, convince me.

Why use a capo at all? Most of us here have more than enough guitars. Just use alt tunings. Isn't a capo just another way of making the tone sound different? Shouldn't we as players, professional or hobbyist, make sure we know how to play our instruments?

Admittedly I am a cynical lout, colored by my guitar instructor, but I am open to being wrong.

My classically trained buddy long had a similar opinion about capos.

But he can play at a MUCH higher level than I can, or ever WILL play. Yeah, you technically get a different SOUND to the guitar, but just use alternate tunings?

What about those times that( as others do too at times) capo users play with a capo placed on the 5th fret? I'm pretty sure it's unadvisable to TUNE a guitar that high!

I generally use a capo when I want to play a tune in some key and prefer to use standard chord FINGERINGS instead of barring chords.

But then too, I don't HAVE "more than enough" guitars. ;)

Whitefang

Ok, convince me.

My first Jazz teacher had a similar opinion on capos. He used to say "if you can't play in the key, don't play".

I don't use a capo.

If you play cool, you are cool.

"Here comes the sun" is capoed on the 7th fret. Obviously there is NO way to tune that high. Same goes with "Everything I own", by Bread, which I believe is capoed on the 9th.

There was this old idea that capos were "cheaters"; an idea mainly put in place by old Jazz players. That they made barre chords easier. However, songs have been written using capos and a lot of those songs cannot be played without them. It is no longer just a tool to play barre chords. IMO, capos are a VERY valid and useful tool. Yes...they CAN be used by folks who can't bother tuning up a half step or by people who can't play barre chords, but over all they are a tool that allows the rest of us to play things that couldn't be played without them.

Like a slide, capos offer another way to play your instrument.

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the feedback. Yes, my instructor is also a jazz form player, one that closely follows the Joe Pass rule that you should never strum a string you do not control. A capo might as well be sacrilege to him.

And I apologize for any unintended slight towards anyone. I was only looking for additional insights. If a capo is another helpful tool, then yes, the original capo might be worth the investment to some. Particularly with vintage, high end instruments. Or those who love capos.

See, I don't look at it as "not controlling" the string. It's no different then the job the nut does when there is no capo. Granted, there are only a few songs I use a capo for, but the songs, for the most part, would be unplayable without it.

I understand the point of view of the old jazz guys. For them, it was used a lot as a way to avoid transcribing and that became a lazy, "cheaty" way to do things. But the capo is used by a lot of us, for so much more. So, while I do appreciate and understand their point of view, I have to respectfully disagree with them.

I just picked up a song from the 90s for my live set, only to discover that it`s the first song I ever played that`s capoed at the fifth fret.

It feels weird. But I`m okay, almost played it live this evening-not enough time.

I totally get the perspective of improving your technique instead of screwing with the instrument.

BUT-I wouldn`t have said this to my teacher either haha...but BUT...there are already songs being played on baritone guitars. Seven strings-hello?

Dragonfly Japan makes long scale baritones.

Caparison makes C tuned guitars.

Tacoma makes A tuned acoustics-The Dixie Chicks wrote songs with them.

My teacher told me to avoid open chords-unless you want to be labeled a `folkie`.

I mean, technically capos make closed chords more movable yes?

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

"Here comes the sun" is capoed on the 7th fret. Obviously there is NO way to tune that high. Same goes with "Everything I own", by Bread, which I believe is capoed on the 9th.

There was this old idea that capos were "cheaters"; an idea mainly put in place by old Jazz players. That they made barre chords easier. However, songs have been written using capos and a lot of those songs cannot be played without them. It is no longer just a tool to play barre chords. IMO, capos are a VERY valid and useful tool. Yes...they CAN be used by folks who can't bother tuning up a half step or by people who can't play barre chords, but over all they are a tool that allows the rest of us to play things that couldn't be played without them.

Like a slide, capos offer another way to play your instrument.

I agree- they're just a tool, and for more than just playing Open- and 1st-Position chords further up the neck without barring, or changing keys in a lazy way. They give you your choice of open strings to utilize for some passages and sounds. They're also good, useful tools for set-up, particularly when dialing-in an adjustable truss-rod.

I don't use a capo very often, and I am VERY capable of barring all manner of chords all over the neck, even some fingerings/shapes that most players wouldn't even think of barre-chord forms for, such as barre-forms of the typical open C and G chords. But when I do grab a capo, I put it to VERY good use! :):2thu:

I don't use a capo very often, and I am VERY capable of barring all manner of chords all over the neck, even some fingerings/shapes that most players wouldn't even think of barre-chord forms for, such as barre-forms of the typical open C and G chords. But when I do grab a capo, I put it to VERY good use!

That sentence structure...it rings a bell.

http://static4.businessinsider.com/image/5499948c6bb3f74d611468d6/the-truth-about-the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world.jpg

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

I'd seen ads for those specialty capos ("capi" ?) before but had forgotten them---instant altered tuning !

One of the most noted capo users I know of was blues master Albert Collins who tended to place them at the higher frets for an effect rather like a high tessitura (singing in a high range for timbral effect).

As for the "cheater" appellation, capos don't just make it possible to play a progression as you usually might but the return to you the use of your index finger.

...& intonation might be a problem if yer gtr's got a high set up.

d=halfnote

Archived