Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Getting some action (how do people try them out?)

Caseous

Hi Everybody.

I've been spending a bit of time reading up on and listening to various keyboards and am thankful for all the info out there. I'm focused on a keyboard around 76 keys, some sort of piano-like action (not waterfall or unweighted. I'm mainly doing piano and organ). I have a Kurzweil Forte in my studio and love its TP40L keybed. However, it, along with anything else with an action like that is becoming too heavy to deal with the more numerous and cramped gigs I've been getting lately. A 76ish key machine sounds doable. One of The keyboards that fits is a Nord Stage 2Ex 76. An Electro HP, too. There are others, but none are as light and flexible as these, that I've seen. Perhaps there are others, but below 35 pounds is pretty compelling. So, I've never played Nord HP action. I know the HA, but those guys aren't so light. The problem is that I've been unsuccessful in finding a store that have any HP keybeds to try out. I'm in a big New England city and there's nothing there or in NYC in stores. I totally get why stores would rather not be an Internet showroom and I'm sympathetic. However, the idea of buying something so expensive without playing it first is unnerving for me. What do players do to try out keyboards that are hard to find? Do you go by recs sometimes? Thanks for any advice.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Recommendations are fine, for a lot of things, but they will never tell you how you will connect to a certain action.

Unfortunately the only way to try some expensive items these days is to buy one from a retailer (online or brick and mortar) who has a good return policy.

Moe

---

Be careful who you listen to that's all I can say. Also if you buy sight unseen which I do most places will let you return something if you are not satisfied.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I did the buy/return thing on a Jupiter 50 recently. I basically convinced myself it would work as a 2nd board, and didn't realize until it showed up that it would never be immediate enough on the programming side to suit my tastes. Expensive shipping lesson learned. Color me stupid.

I would say that since you already know that you love the TP40L keybed, narrow down the available keyboards to that particular action and see if one of those will satisfy you, feature/sound-wise.

Do any of the other Kurzweil boards use that, in a 76-key version (I'm thinking Artis)? That would also be convenient for doing programming/setups, etc. on your Forte at home, then transferring to your stage keyboard via SD card, or whatever they are using these days.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Thanks for all the replies. I thought about the Forte 7 but it's still about 42 pounds, which is only 6 less than my 88 version. Looks like the best way is to buy from a store with a good return policy and try it out.

Thanks for all the replies. I thought about the Forte 7 but it's still about 42 pounds, which is only 6 less than my 88 version. Looks like the best way is to buy from a store with a good return policy and try it out.

That's what I mean, at some point you have to say screw it and do things yourself and that even means not listening to us on the forum. I learned the hard way about this. All it matters is what the keyboard means to you and will it serve your needs.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

If you want to come to New Jersey you are welcome to play my Nord Stage 2EX 76 HP or Electro 3HP.

I'm originally from Middlesex County.

(^^^ this is much more sophisticated than telling him which exit I'm from. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/HandsomeTramp/smilies/evillaugh.gif )

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Was I the only one who read the thread title and the first thought was a one night stand?

Most of my gigs are (ahem) one-night stands.

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

Archived