Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Christmas songs....

whitefang

Naw. Not about which ones you like or not....but....

In the Epiphone forum, one guy started a thread asking if any members there were trying to or have written a new Christmas song. He claims to have, but his attempts to post it successfully haven't worked so far. So, in the spirit of the season, and to start a thread about something OTHER than a birthday ;), I thought I'd ask it here.

Personally, I never really tried. Never actually really thought about trying for some reason. How about any of Y'all?

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's something I submitted for my label's annual Christmas album. Didn't really write it as a Christmas tune, but thought it would fit in with the general theme.

Canterbury Twilight

Previously, I'd done a rather tweaked version of God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen. I had a vision of all the instruments in a studio coming to life at Midnight on Christmas Eve, getting drunk, and playing some tunes together. It starts off with the sound of an ancient record player giving up the ghost . . .

God Rest Ye, Murky Gentlemen

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

If by new the meaning is, recently written, then no.

if it means one that didn`t exist before I or someone else wrote it, then yes.

Maybe around 20 years ago, a bunch of music people around the Hudson Valley N.Y. area appeared on a Christmas CD. The cast included one of my bandmates and still good buddy, several people I played at open mics with and even the local philharmonic orchestra. Well at the time I didn`t have a Christmas song. it seemed like a fun project and so I set out to write one, figuring, how hard could it be.

Well about three years later I could say, I had a pretty freaking good idea how hard.

But I finally came up with something I liked, a jazzy thing played entirely with fingers. Actually I`m planning to play it live tomorrow, if I`m confident enough about pulling it off. Not the easiest song I have but it`s fun-I played it at a singing audition last November as well.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

@Skip: Yes, by "new" I did mean "recently written". Would love to hear yours, but if you can't post it for some reason, at least give us the lyrics for a look see.

@Winston: Nice stuff, but nothing any of us can go out and sing on people's porches. ;)

@Doc: Your links just lead me to a blank page with nothing to listen to.

Yeah, I know of some "spoofs" or parodies if you will. One involved "We Three Kings"---

We three kings of Orient are/

trying to smoke a loaded cigar/

It was loaded, it exploded" then you switch quick to "Silent Night".

Whitefang

I just finished creating a jazz swing arrangement of Silver Bells and will probably record it.

That's as original as I get - nothing to say for the last 50 years...

"It don't mean a thing

if it ain't got that swing"

If you play cool, you are cool.

@Winston: Nice stuff, but nothing any of us can go out and sing on people's porches. ;) Whitefang

That's okay, Whitefang, no one wants to hear me sing, I promise you!

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

I just finished creating a jazz swing arrangement of Silver Bells and will probably record it.

That's as original as I get - nothing to say for the last 50 years...

"It don't mean a thing

if it ain't got that swing"

@ Bartholomew, Don't forget to share it with us when you get it recorded! I love new arrangements with some improv... :2thu:

Take care, Larryz

@Skip: Yes, by "new" I did mean "recently written". Would love to hear yours, but if you can't post it for some reason, at least give us the lyrics for a look see.

Whitefang

I did record it once, as a last-minute addition to a demo CD-but if I recall the volume turned out pretty low. I have it sitting around somewhere, not worth searching for now but, I can show a little sample of the lyrics-it`s called `That Cat Santa`s Claws`

Well he delivers every Christmas

around the world without a pause

when he comes callin`

good things are fallin from

that cat Santa`s claws...

As far as playing it live tonight-nope.

I was out all night with some of the cabaret performers.

Didn`t get a chance to rehearse, not confident about doing a set.

If it was an "all-nighter" then I can't BLAME ya! ;)

Like the "word-play" in those lyrics Skip. And I had a quick flash of a memory about something my Father in law told me about my wife when she was a little girl....

"When she first heard someone talk about SANTA Claus, she asked me if HE was Mexican TOO!" :D

Whitefang

I messaged the club manager with my regrets and she said there`s another night next weekend-I`m there.

Last week I had an elementasry school class and we were talking about international money. I pointed out that, in America coins have names-penny, nicke, dime etc. But the demoninations are international-]

cent (U.S.)

centime (France)

centavo (Spain, Brazil)

Everyone in Japan knows what a centimeter is. This helps with comprehension.

A great uncle of mine was said to use money as a way to teach my mom how to tell time. Something about looking at the clock as a large coin worth 60 cents. A quarter would then be worth 15 cents on so on. I don't recall exactly how it all went.

Anyway.....

I don't know how ANY of this would fit in a CHRISTMAS SONG! ;)

Whitefang

Might be just a brain cramp, but I seem to recall someone trying to come with a 'formula' for successful Christmas tunes. They went into Lyrics, Key Signature, pretty much everything, de-construcing a few familiar tunes to show how they fit the formula. Somehow, it seemed like you could follow the formula, and still come up with a perfectly lousy Christmas tune? Anyone else remember this, or anything like it?

There's a website or program I saw out there that uses artifcial intelligence to create pop tunes, chord patterns and particularly radio-friendly singles.

After all, we only have 8 notes to work with plus the mathematics of counting to 4. Would work well for X-Mas tunes also. Band in a Box creates pretty good intros even with Jazz Standards so the technology is here for sure.

Don't know how AI would handle lyrics but maybe in the future.

Been round the block but am not over the hill...

http://www.bandmix.ca/jamrocker/

You better not shout

you better not cry

you better not pout

or you're gonna die

Santa Claus is coming to town

He sees you when you're sleeping

he knows when you're awake

he knows if you've been bad or good

he's a stalker, for goodness sake!

I rock; therefore, I am.

Heh. There was a TV show for a short while, about the same time "30 Rock" started that was about another late-night SNL type TV show, and they showed a brief part of a sketch supposedly supposed to be on it in which one of the cast walked in on Santa while he was putting toys under the tree and introduced himself as Chris Hansen doing a "To Catch A Predator" segment asking what he's doing in these children's home with all the toys. :D

I think the show was called "Studio 60 on The Sunset Strip".

Whitefang

As a Christmas gift, I wrote a Christmas instrumental for my Mom around 1993-94. I utilized the Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-550. The song consists of strings, drums, sleigh bells, and choral/choir voicing. I no longer have the unit with the song in its memory, but I did copy it to cassette and gave it to my Mom as a Christmas gift. She still has the tape. I think the song turned out really, really good.

Peace :thu:

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

As a Christmas gift, I wrote a Christmas instrumental for my Mom around 1993-94. I utilized the Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-550. The song consists of strings, drums, sleigh bells, and choral/choir voicing. I no longer have the unit with the song in its memory, but I did copy it to cassette and gave it to my Mom as a Christmas gift. She still has the tape. I think the song turned out really, really good.

Peace :thu:

@BiC - Sounds like a nice thing you did for your mother. Is it possible that you were using a Boss DR-5, which was more of a Jam/Composition machine than a Drum Machine?

@BiC - Sounds like a nice thing you did for your mother. Is it possible that you were using a Boss DR-5, which was more of a Jam/Composition machine than a Drum Machine?

I googled the Boss DR-5 and it does look more familiar than the 550. So yes, it was likely the DR-5. I know I bought it around 1993-94.

@Whitefang- I should borrow it and then make a copy. Then figure out the cheapest way to convert it to a MP3.

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Archived