Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gear needed for 1970s tribute band

cedar

Recently, I've been seeing a CL ad seeking a keyboardist for a "1970s classic rock/tribute show," noting that they are looking for a keyboardist with "both the proper sounds and skills to perform classic songs by groups such as Boston, Kansas, Styx, The Who, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Allman Bros. and more."

I am very likely not a fit for this group, and will probably not even reply. But I am somewhat curious what gear would be necessary to pull this off.

For example, I have a Yamaha CP4, Mojo (2 manual), and a Hammond Xk1C. Am I correct in assuming that I would need another keyboard/synth? Could I manage by adding a laptop and software?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It probably isn't so much the gear as it is the knowledge of the music and ability to play it, that is the most important thing. Sure, you want good gear that sounds good, etc. - but if you're not already familiar with classic 70s rock, you've got a lot of work/learning to do.

The gear you already have will probably work fine... but you have duplicate organ kit there, and no VA or analog synth. Would be best to replace one of the organ boards with a VA for classic 70s analog synth sounds.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

You should be able to easily cover the sounds necessary.

Agreed. I wouldn't obsess too much about specific instruments for covering that era unless you're going for visual authenticity.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Wow that sounds like something I *would* like, assuming I could play well enough...problem is, I hear "tribute" and I immediately assume note-for-note and exact patch programming. Yuck, not my cup of tea, so that would be first up on my question list for the band... I currently play in a 70s/early 80s band but it's more on the dance and strightforward rock side (nothing like Kansas unfortunately).

Synth might be the one thing you'd need to beef up, depending on the CP4 (which I don't know) and the song selection. I picked up a used older Virus and it killed at any kind of analog sound I needed (despite the fact that they are known more for EDM). Great build quality and key action too, and the knobs were a blast. You might think about the tabletop version(s) of these or others such as the Blofeld since you already have multiple keyboards.

You might think about the tabletop version(s) of these or others such as the Blofeld since you already have multiple keyboards.

I'd recommend a used Radias-R over a Blofeld tabletop. The Radias has more knobs and front-panel controls for easier sound programming.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

It's the only music I play....

You need a good electromechanical engine (EP's, Clav, organ), acoustic piano, sax, horns, strings and synth. My Kurz PC3 technically covers all of the required sounds decently; I'm a stickler for a "great" organ/leslie; the Kurz is good but not great, that is why I've supplemented the Kurz with the Voce V5+/Vent combo and recently with the Gemini module which has most of those sounds (except sax, Guido are you listening??). I also like a 2nd keyboard to have sound programs queued up to play as well as having dual manuals for organ playing.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I would get a b3 with a 147 leslie, Rhodes suitcase, Wurlie 200 and a MiniMoog model D.

Possibly add some type of grand piano depending on material. You would also need an excellent 2 channel sound system plus possibly a sub to handle the bass.

Anything else would just be an imitation ;)

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Your CP4 and organ will cover 80 percent of the songs. To finish out there are three types of synths to cover 70's music; mono leads (MiniMoog/Arp), pads (string machines/CS-80/poly moog), and Mellotron. Only the song list can tell you how important these are.

You also need to see if the keyboardist is covering horns and sound effects. There was a lot of that in the 70's if they are playing those songs.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

You'll need some bell bottoms. Synths weren't that advanced yet, so a rig that can get you AP EP B3 Mellotron and a synth that can generate Moog and Synth Strings will get you to 99%, maybe some wind and brass instruments so your band doesn't have to hire the flautist and sax for one song each ...

There are single board solutions for this equation, .. several. Many even.

But first ... bell bottoms and a wig are in order. If you can dig up your old tie dye as well ...

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

You'll need some bell bottoms. Synths weren't that advanced yet, so a rig that can get you AP EP B3 Mellotron and a synth that can generate Moog and Synth Strings will get you to 99%, maybe some wind and brass instruments so your band doesn't have to hire the flautist and sax for one song each ...

There are single board solutions for this equation, .. several. Many even.

But first ... bell bottoms and a wig are in order. If you can dig up your old tie dye as well ...

I would add a fringe vest and suede boots. Add a rocky horror or Led Zep t-shirt. And a glue on mustache. It could match the wig.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I played all that stuff in the 70's with nothing more than a B-2, Baldwin ElectroPro, and a mono analog synth..

Nothing but the state of the art circa 1974 :D

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/1511848_1412415365679379_684247649_o.jpg

the Baldwin and an A100

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/1912494_1412035012384081_1240239545_o.jpg

That's all we used back then. :cool: But we didn't do any stuff with synths in it - mostly originals, Band, Grateful Dead and Allman Brothers

and us/Woodrose 42 years later;

[video:youtube]

You'll need some bell bottoms....

But beware...... Not all bell bottoms are created equal...... :D

a11e8bed6fc3b0e30a90f1490e29e678.jpg

And you might wish to consider investing in a van der Graf generator....

http://www.noiseaddicts.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/phil_spector_big_hair.jpeg

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

I played all that stuff in the 70's with nothing more than a B-2, Baldwin ElectroPro, and a mono analog synth..

Nothing but the state of the art circa 1974 :D

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/1511848_1412415365679379_684247649_o.jpg

the Baldwin and an A100

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/1912494_1412035012384081_1240239545_o.jpg

That's all we used back then. :cool: But we didn't do any stuff with synths in it - mostly originals, Band, Grateful Dead and Allman Brothers

and us/Woodrose 42 years later;

[video:youtube]

:2thu:

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Same model Baldwin I used in the 70's, triple stringer. Had it built into a flight case. Later models went to single strings all the way up. Didn't sound near as good.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

You could be surprised at how much of this territory you could cover with your CP4. I'm in a 70s band and an 80's band. For the second one I managed to cover everything with just the CP4. It worked so well that I'm planning to make more use of the CP4 in the 70's band too, rather than just using it for piano & ep only. At present I'm using a Korg Triton LE and V-Machine for all the synthy stuff. I plan to replace the V-Machine with various apps on my iPad and to use the CP4 for some of the LE sounds.

Legend Soul 261, Leslie 251, Yamaha UX1, CP4, CK61, Hammond SK1, Ventilator, Privia PX3, Behringer 2600, Korg Triton LE, various guitars and woodwinds, drum kits …

And SIDEBURNS.

That's it! I win!

http://www.hotrodmotm.com/images/skyhigh/skyhigh4.jpg

Is that a Putney in the background?

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I did all the classic rock stuff with just my Kronos and a 2nd tier controller - covers it all....vintage analogs, pianos, EP's, organs, etc. but if you really want to LOOK the part, bring out a CP-70, Wurlitzer 200, B3 w/Leslie, MiniMoog Model D, ARP Odessy, CS80, and OB 4-voice. Set them up in a big U shape around you.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Since I'm in the NY area too and (pretty much always) in the market for a good band project, I found that ad and got in touch yesterday, had a nice chat with the drummer, sounds like a potentially good gigging opportunity and I am going to set up an audition with them. Just like J. Dan mentioned above, I'm pretty confident these days about my ability, or at least potential ability, to cover any sounds needed just using my Kronos and a second controller keyboard. (I figure any sounds I can't cover or come close to, it's due to my programming and playing limitations, not my gear.) I already know a lot of the songs he mentioned, enough that I think I'll be able to make a good impression at the audition. Anyway thanks for the heads-up Cedar!

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

This was encouraging.

Your CP4 and organ will cover 80 percent of the songs.

This made me think maybe I should reply to the ad.

You should be able to easily cover the sounds necessary.

This made me inch even closer to replying.

You could be surprised at how much of this territory you could cover with your CP4.

Then you guys started to scare me.

bell bottoms and a wig are in order. If you can dig up your old tie dye as well ...

I actually have fond memories of bell bottoms, but...

I would add a fringe vest and suede boots. Add a rocky horror or Led Zep t-shirt. And a glue on mustache. It could match the wig.

And SIDEBURNS.

And I'm afraid this would get me arrested.

And you might wish to consider investing in a van der Graf generator....

http://www.noiseaddicts.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/phil_spector_big_hair.jpeg

Perhaps I won't reply to the ad after all.

Reading about the hardware required to cover a broad range of material reminds me of the reason I decided to use software only live.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

The band from the CL ad is really emphasizing having the right authentic keyboard sounds, he told me they had passed on a couple applicants who had great chops but couldn't hack the sounds. (And yes, while he didn't mention any specific clothing items, we did agree on the importance of the theatrical element and the proper stageware, they do intend to be a concert/show band.)

And fyi he is happy/interested to find more than one qualified guy so that they can have some depth on the bench, a reliable sub or two when needed, which is an arrangement I'm always happy to be a part of myself, I'd almost just as soon get that role from my audition than become the official first chair, I like the freelance life.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

I did all the classic rock stuff with just my Kronos and a 2nd tier controller - covers it all....vintage analogs, pianos, EP's, organs, etc. but if you really want to LOOK the part, bring out a CP-70, Wurlitzer 200, B3 w/Leslie, MiniMoog Model D, ARP Odessy, CS80, and OB 4-voice. Set them up in a big U shape around you.

This.....and a chiropractor and physical therapist on retainer.....

Any rompler and clone rig could cover this. My FA08 and Electro would do it easily. I dont' think a CP5 and a clone would get one all of the way there, you need that synth aspect.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

The band from the CL ad is really emphasizing having the right authentic keyboard sounds, he told me they had passed on a couple applicants who had great chops but couldn't hack the sounds. (And yes, while he didn't mention any specific clothing items, we did agree on the importance of the theatrical element and the proper stageware, they do intend to be a concert/show band.)

And fyi he is happy/interested to find more than one qualified guy so that they can have some depth on the bench, a reliable sub or two when needed, which is an arrangement I'm always happy to be a part of myself, I'd almost just as soon get that role from my audition than become the official first chair, I like the freelance life.

Ah, interesting. Glad someone here looked into the ad. I'm definitely not the right guy to be the primary keyboardist. I don't think I'd have the patience to figure out and nail the sounds precisely (let alone buy additional gear to do so). I also like the idea of being a sub, but then the effort of getting up to speed on the material and the sounds may not justify the occasional gig.

Rich, are you going to pursue this? Hope it's fun and profitable for you.

I am! It was and is a bit of a longshot because I am well over an hour from where they are based, prohibitive for any kind of steady ongoing rehearsal situation. (If the gigs they were looking toward were kind of regular bar gigs local to them, it wouldn't be worth it for me at all.) But I knew the material was right up my alley, I have already learned and gigged most of it, and after speaking to him about the project it sounds like it is well worth at least getting together with them and seeing how it goes and what can be worked out. Will update the group if anything interesting happens!

Rich Forman

Archived