Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

R.I.P. Allan Zavod

Daniel Heslop

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:( Damn... Loved his work with Jean-Luc Ponty. Not only for his playing, but for the atmospheres he created sonically.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

I use to listen to Jean Luc alot many years ago. wow... Cosmic messenger and enigmatic ocean were part of my 8 track collection that always stayed in my car.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Still remember Enigmatic Ocean synth solo. Such a great and underrated player and i think he paleyd for Zappa for a moment. R.I.p.

Yep, saw him with Zappa at a concert on a pier in NYC a couple decades ago- a great show. Sad news.

Great player ! And a nice guy to top it off. We never met but spoke on the phone a few times. Very sorry to hear the news. :(

I subbed for him on some gigs where you might be surprised he would be doing - the Glen Miller Orchestra and Tex Beneke Orchestra.

I seem to recall he was juggling some tour dates with Ponty and was trying to keep his gigs with those orchestras as they were pretty busy at one time. I also recall there was some pretty thorny stuff to read in a few places. Luckily he gave me a heads up on a few of the charts and was nice enough to put them in the mail to me so I could check them out beforehand.

He was around for some time but then I heard he went back home. RIP. :(

I saw Allan in concert with Frank Zappa- from the third row- and it was one hell of a music lesson. At one point, Frank is taking 5 and having coffee while sitting inside the curve of the grand piano. Allan hits a modest clinker within this expansive piece and winces theatrically. Frank picks up his mic and says "Allan, was that youuuu...?" Of course, Allan never misses another lick. I still laugh and feel musically fired up when I recall it. Its a great epitaph for a really muscular player. He's one of many whom I owe some happy debt. :cheers:

"We're the crash test dummies of the digital age."
            ~ Kara Swisher, "Burn Book"

Archived