Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Expanding the rig. Small synth wanted. Mopho keys?

RudyS

In the rock/indi/orginals band I am playing we are becoming more and more poppy. I used to use only the classic sounds and my NE3/PX5s combination was perfect. But now the sound is becoming more pop I sometimes used things as pads, heavy synth bass, analog lead type of sounds. I want to expand my rig with something which can provide me this, as now I go to the PX5s for this (it's okay) or I get a sound from the Nord sample library (without editing possibilities).

The problem is real estate. Because of the looks I do not want to add a third tier on my stand (I play sitting down). What I had in mind is placing a small synth on the right end of my top board (NE3). It has about 30 cm of width. I have a KM18880 stand with the 18882 stackers. I could make something to put in the 18882. I actually have two pairs of 18881 stackers (one is a bit broken), so I could modify that fixate the synth.

Preferably it is a polyphonic synth, but most that I have seen I think are still to wide for this option (Ultranova/Gaia). So I recon I could go the monophonic way. Lurking at the bass station 2 (but only 2 octaves), and am really interested in the mopho keys. Budget, not much more than 600 dollars or so?

Any other suggestions?

Rudy

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about something like 1 of the Roland boutique modules? They'd fit right there and you could midi it to either the PX or the Electro. I have the little Jupiter one, it's pretty cool.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Thanks for the reply Dan. I thought about adding a module/desktop synth as well. But my thoughts about that are: The Electro does not lend itself to midi up the module (because of lack of midi implementation and controllers). So I am left with the PX5s for controlling the synth. But this means I have to program all splits etc, while I now just have patches as "piano", "wurly" with just one push away. Aside from that I have to use the weighted keys to play the synth. So while I do not rule out the option, my preference is something with keys (preferably not mini...),

Rudy

If I didn't want to add a tier my first instinct would be to look at a Blofeld desktop. Your biggest problem is a having a good way to call patches and a having a nice control surface.

Another option might be getting a good control surface like the now discontinued Novation SL MK2 Zero and using that to control a rack synth or laptop if you have some old rack units. Over here you can buy rack synths cheap.

Otherwise I would bite the bullet and add a third tier.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

It looks like stores are selling the Zero again. You would use the Electros keyboard. Maybe use it to patch control your whole rig.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Novation/ZeRO-SL-MkII-Keyboard-Controller-1274228073036.gc

Another option would be to simply use a laptop stand. Sets up faster than a third tier, if you can deal with having the synth off to one side.

I use a Samson laptop stand that holds my Bass Station 2 when I use it live. The dimensions are literally perfect for it. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LTS50

If you can't stomach that option nor a third tier, Dan's route of using the Boutique module makes a lot of sense to me. Getting a synth with full-size or even mini-keys to behave on top of an Electro is going to be a difficult task.

Nord: Piano 5 73, Electro 6D

Casio: PX-5S

Yamaha: P-121

Novation: MiniNova, BSII, Circuit

DSI Mopho x4

I use a Samson laptop stand that holds my Bass Station 2 when I use it live. The dimensions are literally perfect for it. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LTS50

This would be another option. I could set it to the side of me. But still the question, what small synth to add on this stand?

Getting a synth with full-size or even mini-keys to behave on top of an Electro is going to be a difficult task.

Do you really think so? I measured. I have a width of 39cm free. As the 18882 stackers are pretty deep there is enough room there as well. Just have to make a plate on a polo which I put in the 18882. The Mopho would be sticking 9cm out of the electro.

Rudy

If you want a poly. I would get a poly. The Gaia is really good for certain stuff. I liked to program it. The action is a lot better than what is on the FA-06-VR-09-Juno etc.... Oscillators get a little flakey in the highest registers. I used it for all the Lady Gaga techy sounds like Applause and Just Dance where the LFO is used to shut the Amp section on and off. The Gaia nailed all that stuff.

I don't think the Novation interface is as cool but the oscillators have less aliasing.

If this was to be my primary synth and I only have $600 and I wanted a poly and I could not find a killer used deal I would figure out a way to make the Blofeld work.

Yes, spent time in a local store messing with it and absolutely love it. Not a Mini or a Voyager but its own Moog flavor that is addictive. And it's just plain fun and a very easy synth to get around on. The Sub 37 is that much better but of course more money and doesn't meet your size constraint. If I wasn't full up with Moog stuff I'd probably own one of these by now. I believe you can find a used Sub Phatty inside your price range and maybe even new if you negotiate.

Weird, I had a site saying it was 24. Not a good source apparently.

No worries - I've often exaggerated 1/2 inch to be 4 inches. :blush:

Just to look at a whole different direction... Maybe consider selling the Nord and getting a different 2nd-tier board

Along those lines, I've been thinking about creating a second-tier "board" that consists of a Novation SL 61 MKII, which (like the Nord) has blank panel space, upon which I would place a Gemini desktop module, with a Roland JP8 sitting on top.

If you put a wood plank across the 18882 stackers, you could do something like put that Gemini desktop module/JP8 (or whatever) to the left or right of some other board, as a way to not be limited to boards that have free surface area on them already.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I bought a Mopho x4 earlier this year and absolutely love it. Just to chime in on your original thought. Sick and thick!
Korg Kronos 2 61, Kronos 1 61, Dave Smith Mopho x4, 1954 Hammond C2, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha Motif 6, Casio CDP-100, Alesis Vortex Wireless, too much PA gear!

Because I am gassing for a small knobby synth for my own rig, my personal wish list:

1) Deepmind 12 (not sure I can wait for it, but trying to)

2) Minilouge (have almost hit the buy button a few times already; Behringer better hurry up.

3) Pro One (just a bit over my budget and only two notes)

4) Mopho X4 (checks all the boxes but so many others to contemplate)

5) Blofeld (keys are over budget for only 4 knobs, desktop opens too many other options to list here)

6) Sub 37 (well over budget but a Moog in the rig would add a lot of cred)

I tend to over-analize things like this so I may never make up my mind...all the better for my pocketbook as well as my marrage. :whistle:

Thanks for all the input everybody. I think there are not much options. If I want to put it on the electro I think something with minikeys or the mopho are the only options. Also looked at the Micron/Miniak option, but don't like that I need a computer to edit them. So I think this case does not have a satisfying results this way. I have to reconsider my requirements I think....

Rudy

Because I am gassing for a small knobby synth for my own rig, my personal wish list:

5) Blofeld (keys are over budget for only 4 knobs, desktop opens too many other options to list here)

FWIW. My thought on the Blofeld was always to use the desktop module and play it from the Electro but patch control would be an issue.

Mopho x4 is a great board. Bass player I play with in my originals band bought one a while back and I've been helping him program it. Good call on the delay pedal. You're probably gonna want to grab a reverb pedal for it as well. Those two together will make a world of difference.

Check out the EH Holy Grail verb for a nice cheap (and super easy to use) verb. You could velcro both pedals to the upper right panel and be done with it. My bass player buddy has a strymon flint and an mxr echoplex that he just throws on that top right panel. It sounds really, really good.

Being so compact, the Mopho x4 is a killer travel board for flying as well.

Thanks! But to clarify, it bought the original mopho, not the x4. Would like to but that one did not fit the size requirements. So going monophonic.

:thu:

Please give us a review.

Will do. Just got a not that they tried to deliver it when I wasn't at home. Have to wait until monday... Bummer.

Rudy

Archived