Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thoughts on a new 1u line mixer

jeebustrain

I still use a Samson PL1602 in one of my rig setups. I have three, all in pristine condition. They still sound great (I play my KeyB through one) and never had so much as a glitch in any of them. If you can find one on ebay cheap, grab it. It has all the routings you desire.
Legend Exp,NC2x,Crumar Seven,KeyB Duo MK111,Nord C1,Nord C2D,Triton Classic,Fantom G7,Motif ES,SonicCell,BK7m,PA1x pro,VP770,TC Helicon,Leslie 3300,MS Pro145,EV SXA250(2),Traynor K4,PK7a,A70,DM10 Pro.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would suggest getting an XITE-1 DSP Line mixer then.

:D

I not only own some line mixers, I also own XITE-1,- and ya know that well, my friend ... :cop:

The XITE-1 is a great 1U Line mixer, even has Synths, FX, Modular synth, ADAT I/O, AES/EBU I/O, Analog, ZLink (Thunderbolt).

Thunderbolt ??? :wacko: Please explain please ...

Anyway,- I use it normally in my home studio w/ an AD/DA connected via ADAT and the Ashly MX508 as a front-end.

I say "normally" ´cause my homestudio isn´t set up since I moved.

For the next year, I´ll look for some simpler solution than I ever had for gigging,- organ, DP, the Kurz PC361 and a new 1HU linemixer to plug those in. Eventually a module in addition ...

The Samson SM10 will do the job well, I think,- and it doesn´t cost a kingdom.

Using XITE and setting up computer, screen, keyboard and mouse, or buying a new laptop and the S|C PCIexpress 54 card/cable would be kind of taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

:)

A.C.

Just wanted to make sure you still had one.

Z Link is basically like TBolt or USB.

Sends packets of data.

Just got an A16 Ultra MKII and used 2 x BLA Modded ADA8200s for 36 I/Os.

3 x Fireworx too.

Can't believe how good those ADA8200s sound on micd up amps and drums.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Just wanted to make sure you still had one.

I don´t sell it. Got a real good price when I bought it new from an austrian shop.

I´d never get such occasion again and it´s still some swiss army knive audio/MIDI device.

Z Link is basically like TBolt or USB.

Sends packets of data.

So, is Zlink more jitter ´than ADAT, which IIRC is continuous audio stream ?

Just got an A16 Ultra MKII ...

Lite blue-grey CW or black S|C ?

When someone sells me a black S|C one, I´m in.

... 2 x BLA Modded ADA8200s ...

Can't believe how good those ADA8200s sound

Plan buying that cheap ADA8200 as a 8-ch. pre just for my Yammi TX816, then use CWM´s updated 16-4 devices as (line-) mixers.

The stock 8200 might be good enough since the TX is also somewhat noisy.

But you have nice options modding gear in the US,- I´d had to ship it back and forth over the pond which makes the adventures expensive.

Do these BL guys sell parts-kits incl. a manual so my tech could do the mod ? ;)

A.C.

I used the Ashly 308b for many years, for a multi-keyboard setup that also merged my bass guitar and vocoder inputs. very flexible routing, with throughput as well.

Nothing really touched it in terms of pure signal path and lack of degradation of sound. The Rane might have come close, and had different features, so wasan option for many. Most others audibly degraded the sound -- I tried them all, so this is not speculation.

In recent years, some newer models have come along that I do not have experience with, as I no longer need a line mixer at gigs and don't want to corrupt my signal path in the slightest when doing studio recordings. I only gig on bass and woodwinds anymore.

I think Yamaha was one of the vendors that came out with a rack mount line mixer in the past two years. Maybe one other trustworthy manufacturer as well. Those models were indeed discussed here at the time, but probably in speculative mode only.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

This is a great discussion. Thanks for all the input, guys. My original issue actually solved itself. I found that a helpful person ended up plugging something into the right channel on that one input (it's a mono sub37), which forced that into the left channel. My rack is a bit of a rat's nest, so I didn't see it at first.

TBH - I jumped to conclusions based on previous Behringer experience. The mixer, while not the best, appears to be fairly solid still at this point.

I'm still interested in maybe changing it out down the road though, especially if there is an opportunity to gain features or improve overall sound quality. Is anyone aware of a standalone digital 1u mixer that allows for remote control via tablet/ipad? I imagine that we may ultimately be approaching audio interface territory with this, though. I don't gig with a computer, but I use a pair of ipads for different things. One of those things is running sound for the band on our self-pa gigs. The ability to be able to tweak levels on my personal mixer without having to bend down in the middle of a tune would be kind of cool.

Is anyone aware of a standalone digital 1u mixer that allows for remote control via tablet/ipad? I imagine that we may ultimately be approaching audio interface territory with this, though.

Hi,

When I went looking this last summer, for mixers with their own built in WiFi hotspot. all I could find were the Behringer Xair line ( Xair 12,16,18) and the Soundcraft Ui series( Ui12, 16). Both have similar cases at least 4u tall, the Behringer being a bit smaller. All the I/O is on the front panel. Nothing at all on the back. Both can be rack mounted, but they seem to be designed to lay on the floor in the middle of the stage. Ideally it would mount deeper in the rack so you would not have to unplug everything to close the rack up at the end of the night. I have to say though, this would probably not work if the rack is made of metal. Placing a WiFi antenna inside a metal case is just asking for problems.

I still haven't figured out what to do here, so I just set it on the floor next to my keys.

Yes, you are right about this approaching an interface. Both can be connected ( via Ethernet cable ) to a PC, for recording.

I actually had both an Xair16 and the Ui16 for a week or so.

I ended up with the Soundcfaft in the end. The soundcraft allowed me to record or play to a usb thumbdrive. Later I found out that the Behringer Xair 18 will do this.

There are a few features on the Behringer Xair I miss though.

The Xair has fully functional midi io, with all the faders and pans assigned to midi CC channels. I did try this out and it worked flawlessly. The Xair also has a great selection of FX processors.

I can tell you that both of these units are somewhat "works in progress". There are connections on the panels that according to the manual are "Not yet Implemented" Such as a video HDMI

port on the Ui 16. And the android app for the Xair is just enough to get by.

I have no idea what the future holds but for now these are the

the only two product lines I know of.

Best

Karl

MPCX, RD-800, Vsynth, Matrix 12

Shame that the Rane SM82 has been discontinued. I have bought four of them over the years (you can chain them without consuming any channels), zero problems and the oldest one dates back to 1990.

The Rane uses a very large external power supply. That was an immediate deal breaker for me. I'm an Ashly guy myself.

�Ah, music," he said, wiping his eyes. "A magic beyond all we do here!�

J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Is anyone aware of a standalone digital 1u mixer that allows for remote control via tablet/ipad? I imagine that we may ultimately be approaching audio interface territory with this, though.

Hi,

When I went looking this last summer, for mixers with their own built in WiFi hotspot. all I could find were the Behringer Xair line ( Xair 12,16,18) and the Soundcraft Ui series( Ui12, 16). Both have similar cases at least 4u tall, the Behringer being a bit smaller. All the I/O is on the front panel. Nothing at all on the back. Both can be rack mounted, but they seem to be designed to lay on the floor in the middle of the stage. Ideally it would mount deeper in the rack so you would not have to unplug everything to close the rack up at the end of the night. I have to say though, this would probably not work if the rack is made of metal. Placing a WiFi antenna inside a metal case is just asking for problems.

I still haven't figured out what to do here, so I just set it on the floor next to my keys.

Yes, you are right about this approaching an interface. Both can be connected ( via Ethernet cable ) to a PC, for recording.

I actually had both an Xair16 and the Ui16 for a week or so.

I ended up with the Soundcfaft in the end. The soundcraft allowed me to record or play to a usb thumbdrive. Later I found out that the Behringer Xair 18 will do this.

There are a few features on the Behringer Xair I miss though.

The Xair has fully functional midi io, with all the faders and pans assigned to midi CC channels. I did try this out and it worked flawlessly. The Xair also has a great selection of FX processors.

I can tell you that both of these units are somewhat "works in progress". There are connections on the panels that according to the manual are "Not yet Implemented" Such as a video HDMI

port on the Ui 16. And the android app for the Xair is just enough to get by.

I have no idea what the future holds but for now these are the

the only two product lines I know of.

Best

Karl

We actually use an XAir18 for the band when we have to provide our own sound (I get to double as sound guy AND keyboardist/vocals then!). I liked it a lot, once we started using an Airport instead of the built-in wifi. It's super stable and relatively easy to use. The only thing I wish it had was a live spectrum analyzer in the EQ module, but that's probably asking a lot for something in that price point.

I suppose something like that in a 1u line mixer format seems a bit niche - I don't want anything bigger than 1u (all I have room for in my rack). I guess technically once it's adjusted, I shouldn't need to tweak it much (of which I don't - I suppose it's just one of those nice-to-haves).

I did, in my search, come across the Behringer x32 "Core," which is 1u, but alas, it doesn't have any IO on it - I'd need a separate box with all of that, which kind of defeats the purpose. I'm sure eventually something like this will exist... probably as soon as my current mixer really dies and I get something else to replace it.

I used the Ashly MX-508 for a long time back when I was leading larger groups around LA. Rock solid and good sound. Probbaly 6-7 years ago, I sold the Ashly but not long after found myself needing something with mic pres for vocals on smaller single/duo/trio gigs. I couldn't afford what I highly gassed for - the API 3124MB+ - so I went with the A&H ZED10 FX. Immediately I noticed a drop in sound quality from the MX-508. But it was a smaller footprint and no rack required. Basically I got in that dangerous frame of mind of - * it's good enough *. ;)

But after about two years of using the A&H I started to get the itch for good sound again and became aware of the APB Dynasonics Pro Spec line. I decided I wanted to check out the 2U unit with the mic press, EQ and multiple out options. I went to great lengths to audition the ABP Dynasonics 2U6M2S (which I still use today) but it was worth the time and hassle. It's definitely a step up from the Ashly in terms of headroom, clarity and overall sonic goodness. And probably a good 2 steps from the A&H/Mackie/Yamaha fare you find at the GC. And I came in at just under a grand. So very cool.

I have no experience with either company's line mixer, I'm sure the Ashly would be perfectly fine. But if I had the little extra dough, I would go with APB Prospec 1U. Based on my experience with both brands, plus APB's visibility and respect in the Pro Audio world.

If money were no issue, I'd get the best :

http://www.speck.com/xsum/xsum.html

More channels then most people would ever need but still in a 1U. A more pristine signal path in an analog mixer does not exist on the planet.

Earlier this year I borrowed the Speck from Vintage King for the day and A/B'd with the APB 2U6M2S, using both my CP4 & CP5, running into both of my RCFs- TT08As & TT22As. Blows the APB away , no comparison. Straight line in - no DI or preamps. Then out of curiosity, I ran my Neumann KMS-105 mic into my JMK Audio JM-130- mic pre and patched into the Speck with no EQ. Super hi-fi, lush, clarity and detailed. Best sound out of an analog mixer I've ever heard. It even sounded better them my super hot-rodded Jim Williams / Audio Upgrades Soundcraft Delta console - and that's saying something.

I don't really *need* the X.Sum but jaw dropping sound quality for studio or live if you have a lot of keyboards. For me when playing piano only- I still use the JMK Audio JM-110 di/pre into either pair of the RCFs. And if vocals are needed on a small, or even larger gig - I lose some noticeable detail on piano from the JM-110 but the APB still sounds excellent.

Shame that the Rane SM82 has been discontinued. I have bought four of them over the years (you can chain them without consuming any channels), zero problems and the oldest one dates back to 1990.

The Rane uses a very large external power supply. That was an immediate deal breaker for me. I'm an Ashly guy myself.

Only the early ones. Later ones had an internal supply.

Yes the early ones had a large external power supply, but with mounting ears so it could be secured. They're no good for SKB racks, but they mount just fine in my Anvil racks with zero problems from years of gigging.

Another vote for the 308b. I bought 2 used off of Ebay for the price of a single new one.

I got one this summer and the thing is a tank. They are made here locally.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Whenever this topic comes up, one must always mention the old Roland M-120.

I was just about to! Mine is sitting a foot away, and is still going strong. You can find them cheap, too. I've seen them for $75.

Only drawback is depth and weight.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I use the MOTU UltaLite. It is 1U half-rack. Tons of routing options. Easiest to use with included computer mixer software, but levels and settings can also be controlled on unit's front panel if needed. They are just buried in menus, so definately "set & forget" for me.
Lenny

There is an on-line document that I found regarding the differences, but I threw it out (or included it in the box) when I sold mine. My recollection is that it was mostly a faceplate change, which itself was just a difference in colour I think.

My recollection is that I found the info at Ashly's website or forum. It's possible they changed the IEC connector with the "b" model. I mostly remember it not being a big deal which one to get, except for maybe aesthetics.

It was a long time ago though. I can't trust my memory on this.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived