Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thoughts on a new 1u line mixer

jeebustrain

I gig with a multi-keyboard rig. My rack contains a Behringer RX1602 - it's my 2nd one in about 10 years. Functionality-wise, I love it - it's simple, uses TRS connections, and allows me to create a sub-mix so I can monitor myself (via IEM) in rooms where I can't get a dedicated aux from FOH. The problem I have is that eventually, channels start dying on it. That's what happened to my old one. That one I tried cleaning the inputs and it would fix it for a short time, but would inevitably fail again a few weeks later. It's the classic Behringer failure scenario. I eventually got tired of messing with it (and needed something more reliable), so I replaced it.

The problem I have now, is that after about 3.5 years, my first input has started to fail on this one. I know where it's going, so I'm ready to try and fix this thing for real. The problem is that this appears to be a pretty niche market. I need 8 stereo (ideal) channels. I'd also like TRS connections (it's how I connect my gigging rig at home to my DAW, which is all balanced connections). I can't seem to find anything that fits the bill from a more reputable mfg. I know Behringer has stepped up their quality as of late (we use an X18air with the band and it's great), but I'm kind of wary of these "classic" products.

Other than it living in a rack, I treat it pretty well. I have all the cables permanently connected in the back, so I'm not constantly unplugging or plugging connections back in.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement? I've tried the Alesis Multimix8 (another cheapy) for another purpose and inevitably had the same problem. What are people with multi-keyboard rigs using as a line mixer these days?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO Depends.

If the features and flexibility are important get the Samson SM-10. That is what I use because it has multiple buses. It has separate level controls for each channel for each output bus.

If you only need to control a single bus and clean audio is the most important thing then get the Ashly.

The Samson's audio is OK. It doesn't suck but the Ashly is better and worth getting if your DIs and the rest of your audio chain is pristine.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

That Ashly looks really nice. Is there a way for me to send one of the channels only to an aux (or the headphones) and not out the mains? There aren't dedicated knobs so it's hard to tell. I sometimes have to monitor my own vocals by using the headphone out from my processor into one of the channels, while NOT sending my vocal signal out of the keyboard line.

That Ashly looks really nice. Is there a way for me to send one of the channels only to an aux (or the headphones) and not out the mains? There aren't dedicated knobs so it's hard to tell. I sometimes have to monitor my own vocals by using the headphone out from my processor into one of the channels, while NOT sending my vocal signal out of the keyboard line.
I have not tried this out with the Ashly, although I think not. There is no question as to the flexibility of routing wth the SM 10. I got mine on e-bay when they first came out, for a really low make offer, and have been a fan. I have since lost one side (not really a issue as I only used it in mono) but I haven't trouble shot it, nor opened it up to see what the issue is. I have a feeling it may be a throw away.

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

I have not tried this thought this out with the Ashly, although I think not. There is no question as to the flexibility of routing wth the SM 10. I got mine on e-bay when they first came out, for a really low make offer, and have been a fan. I have since lost one side (not really a issue as I only used it in mono) but I haven't trouble shot it, nor opened it up to see what the issue is. I have a feeling it may be a throw away.

Yea - that's really tempting, but the sound quality and better warranty on the Ashly really makes me want to lean that direction. I've tried to avoid buying "disposable" gear for the last few years and have ended with a lot better made stuff. Maybe I can get one of those micro-sized mixers and shove that in the rack as well and use that for my ears. I'm not as concerned about sound quality on that side of things.

I've tried to avoid buying "disposable" gear for the last few years and have ended with a lot better made stuff.
Although I would not buy another, a number of guys here have had great experience with the Samson. I like it, but I have an Ashly also.

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

FWIW Samson sounds pretty decent on the old 2404 I got.

Haven't used it for 10 years, but tried it as a drum submixer and for the money thier stuff is fine for live work.

I use several little channel reducers by Rolls and a 6 Channel mixer with AUX, Monitor, etc. that is 1U for the drum submixer now.

It's a really decent 1U too.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

I've been very happy with my Rane SM82s but apparently they're now discontinued. Very quiet, very solid. I guess still an option of you're looking to pick up something used.

I have one of these also. Costs less than the Ashley but I was amazed how much better audio sounded through the Ashley because Rane makes a great product.

:nopity:

I use an Ashly MX508,- which is 3HU ...

Ashly is great audio quality.

Anyway,- but when you have only ONE device connected which needs external FX (like me,- Minimoog or Oberheim Xpander),- you´re lost.

The 308b doesn´t offer ext. FX send controls per channel.

The Samson SM10 does.

I´m in the market for a new 1HU stereo-line mixer even I own the Ashly MX508 and 2 different 1HU ones in addition,- an MAM 12 channel and a Rolls RM 203,- and I´ll buy the Samson.

A.C.

APB Dynasonics makes great mixers.

1U is especially nifty with a good amount of I/O options for Monitors or FOH.

Yes, excellent device, but lacks FX sends for keyboards and modules which lack internal FX or which offer Fx you better avoid.

In fact I was about buying one of these because of the audio specs, but lack of FX sends (and returns) is no-go for me.

When 1 HU is essential for keys, the Samson SM10 is hard to beat in it´s price range.

AND,- the Samson gear was always better than "previous" Behringer.

Meanwhile, that might have changed since B aquired some major brand´s knowledge,- but the old 1HU Behringer 16ch. line mixer might not been better than the Samson SM10 though.

A.C.

I have a 1U Rolls 203 10 cha. Every channel with FX send and Pan. The FX and Pan are just the ends of potentiometers sticking out the front panel. So a little hard to grab.

I just retired this and now am using a WiFi controlled (phone or Tablet) digital mixer from Soundcraft. I really don't see a way to use an external FX loop with this unit but internally there is enough FX to get me by.

Karl

MPCX, RD-800, Vsynth, Matrix 12

... and now am using a WiFi controlled (phone or Tablet) digital mixer from Soundcraft. I really don't see a way to use an external FX loop with this unit but internally there is enough FX to get me by.

Karl

Hi Karl !

Rolls 203 here too, but only ONE FX send instead of two in the Samson SM10.

I also thought about going the digital line mixer route incl. FX.

But,- you might laugh out loud now, I don´t use smartphones nor tablet computers up to now, just only a cheapo cellphone to be available (when it´s not been switched off). :crazy::D

And I still have a notorious aversion buying such device(s) to operate my keyboard rig while the (small) rack is in reach and I just only turn a knob adjusting something.

For keyboards and modules, I see linemixers as some kind of "set & forget" devices.

My channels are all the same (unity gain) levels always and I do all the volume balance via MIDI.

But I understand it´s comfortable when going into the audience and doing the FOH mix from there using a tablet.

A.C.

Whenever this topic comes up, one must always mention the old Roland M-120.

Yep, the old Rolands are unbelievable.

I still have 2 M160 (4HU) in use, each one in a separate rack w/ modules and FX.

They still work since the 80s when they appeared on the market.

Absolutely great value !

But w/ the decades moving parts became scratchy, so we had to replace all the faders once and that was expensive.

Dunno if the pots for the Roland M series are still available.

A.C.

... and now am using a WiFi controlled (phone or Tablet) digital mixer from Soundcraft. I really don't see a way to use an external FX loop with this unit but internally there is enough FX to get me by.

Karl

Hi Karl !

Rolls 203 here too, but only ONE FX send instead of two in the Samson SM10.

I also thought about going the digital line mixer route incl. FX.

But,- you might laugh out loud now, I don´t use smartphones nor tablet computers up to now, just only a cheapo cellphone to be available (when it´s not been switched off). :crazy::D

And I still have a notorious aversion buying such device(s) to operate my keyboard rig while the (small) rack is in reach and I just only turn a knob adjusting something.

For keyboards and modules, I see linemixers as some kind of "set & forget" devices.

My channels are all the same (unity gain) levels always and I do all the volume balance via MIDI.

But I understand it´s comfortable when going into the audience and doing the FOH mix from there using a tablet.

A.C.

Hi Al !

Well I am really not too big on all these mobile gadgets either.

My wife got the tablet for me years ago but I never found a good use for it till now. I was not really looking for a keyboard mixer, I help a producer with a large charity show every year and I needed lots of outputs from the mixer. Also the sound crew is behind the stage making it really difficult to do FOH mix. I found that the Ui16 has up to 8 balanced outputs (you can change the two headphones outs to auxs if you

want). I have to admit I was not crazy about using WiFi connected control. But after some road bumps and a successful

trial at the show, I thought, this would make a great mixer for my keys with all the inputs and FX. I like the sound quality

and according to Soundcraft it has no limitations on bit depth.

So now I have one for my show rig, and I liked it so much I got another for my home stuff. I gotta say I am just in love with the interface. Tweaking a parametric EQ in real time with a touch screen is a dream come true. That alone is worth the price of admission to me. Well, and the fact that I get to leave an entire rack of FX and such at home.

One day (I hope) someone (Tom, Dave ?) will make an analog synth that can be tweeked like this. I will be first in line.

Now the bad news....

When using a wifi connected device like a UI16 ect. make sure to set a password!!! Other divices will try to hook up to your device. They will not be able to, but it may cause the

WiFi device to lock up. Takes 20+ seconds for the UI16 to reboot. No good in a live situation. However the mixer keeps working fine. It's just that you can't talk to it, without a mixer reboot. ( my experience ) However there is an Ethernet port that you can connect a laptop to, to get hardwire control if you need to.

Now I am using the UI16 with an Asus tablet running Droid.

I just set my tablet on my NORD E2 and the mixer can be set out of the way, on the floor even.

btw Good News:

The UI16 does have two real hardware knobs on the front panel which control Right and Left Master out. So there is kind of a fail safe.

Best

Karl

MPCX, RD-800, Vsynth, Matrix 12

+1 on the Samson SM10, been using mine in studio for 2 years without a hitch, sound quality sounds good enough for me but I run mostly analog synths, Rhodes , clav etc through it so don't need pristine digital sound

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

I'm using an air18 for my keys mixer, as well as for Pa with a trio gig. I preload it before the gig with the right scenario, and if I need to tweak it I just fire up the phone app. Been working real well. All the flexibility I could imagine using too.
HammondCV,M3,L101,C6,SK1,xk5,Farfisa Combo Compact,RolandVR09,JX8P,vk09,Sound Canvas,CrumarTraveler1,Rhodes suitcase73,Wurly200,HohnerD6,KorgMS20,CasioCZ-101,Yamaha CP25,TX7,mx61,CasioCZ-101,PX110

I used the Roland M-120 line mixer for years and years. Though, I just recently picked up the Ashly "LX-308b". OMG! the Ashly is an awesome mixer. The sonic-quality of the sound improved so dramatically. The only downer about The Ashly is that it does not have balanced XLR outputs. But, I easily solved that by adding a Radial JDI stereo direct box.

Yamaha CP-80/S80/S90es/P125/DGX-670/AN1x/MOTIF XS-Rack/CS6R/Roland D-50/Prophet 5(Rev 3.3.)/OBX8/Prophet 5 (Rev 4)/OB-8/Juno-60/Jupiter-6/Studiologic Numa Organ with Neo Ventilator/Korg Kronos

Ashly lx308b. I've used both that and a Samson SM-10. While they both performed well, the SM-10 mic preamps gave out after a couple years.

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

APB Dynasonics makes great mixers.

1U is especially nifty with a good amount of I/O options for Monitors or FOH.

Yes, excellent device, but lacks FX sends for keyboards and modules which lack internal FX or which offer Fx you better avoid.

In fact I was about buying one of these because of the audio specs, but lack of FX sends (and returns) is no-go for me.

I would suggest getting an XITE-1 DSP Line mixer then.

I run a pair of TC Fireworx for FX.

It's the last of the best all in 1 FX units.

The XITE-1 is a great 1U Line mixer, even has Synths, FX, Modular synth, ADAT I/O, AES/EBU I/O, Analog, ZLink (Thunderbolt).

If you must have a dog, make sure it can hunt.

5_2.jpgimages hosting

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Archived