Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

looking for a used drum machine

Muad’Dib

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Casio actually has a pretty killer deal on the XW-PD1 right now.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Casio/XW-PD1-Trackformer-Groove-Center-1432909765027.gc

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

Yet another "how long is a piece of string?" type thread. :2thu:

Absolutely NO information to go on to make a recommendation; we might as well list every drum machine made, for all the good it would do you.

Why not try to specify exactly what feature(s) you're looking for, or perhaps how you intend to use this item, so people can actually give you some useful information to guide you?

Or, y'know, we can just start listing off our favourite drum machines and let the thread go all tangential. I'll start. Roland CompuRhythm CR78!

[video:youtube]

:snax:

I guess, I should have been more specific!

I did look at a used KORG S3 which is an arranger machine. Part drum machine part sequencer.

I have seen the latest KORG Electribe, but I may hold off on that. Then there is the Roland TR-09. The down side is the mini jack on the back for output.

I do remember messing around with a Roland 303. i think I need a drum machine workstation.

I guess, something that is par drum machine part sequencer.

I guess, something that is par drum machine part sequencer.

So, pretty much nothing that has been suggested so far in this thread. Thanks for reinforcing my point. ;)

That said, however, you still haven't clearly stated what you actually want, but from what you're saying so far, I think you should be prepared to rule out either "cheap" or "used" in your requirements. :)

Should have thought this through, more carefully?

Sorry about that Sven.

Sorry for wasting everyone's time.

I'll figure something out?

No no no no no... don't misunderstand.

KC is chock full of people with many lifetimes of experience.

You just need to meet us halfway. Be more clear about what you want.

Of course, if you don't know what you want, that's fine too, but be aware that it's like posting in an automotive forum "looking for a used car" and expecting useful answers. Y'know? :)

Here, let me get the ball rolling.

1) Where do you intend to use this? At home? Live?

2) What do you want to do with it? Songwriting demos? Practice tool? Drummer replacement for a single/duo act?

3) What style(s) of music do you want to create drum patterns for?

4) What types of drum sounds are you needing? All acoustic? Electronic? Some of each?

5) You mentioned a Korg S3; the Electribe; the Roland TR-09, and a TB-303... four VASTLY different types of tools. You also mentioned the 3.5mm output on the TR-09 as being a problem. Why is it a problem?

Okay, here is the thing. When I was a young child, I loved to make my own drum sounds, but never recorded them. I even made my own drum set out of what was lying around the house, and yet never became a drummer.

Then one day around when I was in college. I was visiting a music store, and came across the the Roland MC-303, and was having fun playing around with it. However, I never had the money too buy one. New, at least. I could probably, pick one up used.

I still find drum machines fascinating. I remember when KORG made their first Electribes, but they just looked too complicated. Until their latest, models, which seem easier to use. I did have a used Korg Drum machine from the 2000's, but sold it. Because I could not figure it out.

The TR-9 looks cool, and is cheaper then an original vintage one. I guess the small jack is not a problem, I would have to buy the 3.5 to 1/4 inch cable.

Most of it would be home use. My set up it a KORG TR-Rack and a MicroBrute, connected to a KORG K61 controller keyboard.

The TB-303 is a Baseline right?

TR rack has drum sets, yes? Do you like them? How about just a sequencer? Maybe you're specifically looking for a pattern sequencer?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Okay, here is the thing. When I was a young child, I loved to make my own drum sounds, but never recorded them. I even made my own drum set out of what was lying around the house, and yet never became a drummer.

Then one day around when I was in college. I was visiting a music store, and came across the the Roland MC-303, and was having fun playing around with it. However, I never had the money too buy one. New, at least. I could probably, pick one up used.

I still find drum machines fascinating. I remember when KORG made their first Electribes, but they just looked too complicated. Until their latest, models, which seem easier to use. I did have a used Korg Drum machine from the 2000's, but sold it. Because I could not figure it out.

The TR-9 looks cool, and is cheaper then an original vintage one. I guess the small jack is not a problem, I would have to buy the 3.5 to 1/4 inch cable.

Most of it would be home use. My set up it a KORG TR-Rack and a MicroBrute, connected to a KORG K61 controller keyboard.

The TB-303 is a Baseline right?

FWIW, having fun with the BeatBuddy.

Yes, the folks who bring a full DAW to gigs can run circles around me, but I have this small little pedal with all these grooves in it, and it works pretty well for me -- not so much for spontaneous composition, more for just jammin' along.

Also have a TR-505 (fun) plus gawd know how many other devices that are capable of laying down a decent rhythm track (e.g. GarageBand, et. al.)

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

The TR Rack has drums, but no sequencer. It's a sound module.

Yea something with a sequencer. That's what's nice about the KORG Electribe's

I have looked at the TR-505 as a straight drum machine, but something with a sequencer would be nice.

My point is you specifically need a drum machine. You have drum sounds. You need a sequencer. A drum machine is like a drum sound module with a built in sequencer. Unless you don't like the drum sounds you have.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

FWIW, having fun with the BeatBuddy.

Yes, the folks who bring a full DAW to gigs can run circles around me, but I have this small little pedal with all these grooves in it, and it works pretty well for me -- not so much for spontaneous composition, more for just jammin' along.

loving my Beat Buddy also. Wish I had bought it sooner. Money well spent.

:nopity:

I guess, I just really needed to talk with other people. I never considered using the drums in the TR-Rack and buying a MIDI Sequencer.

To tell the truth, I have been fascinated by drum machines. Then I found the Roland MC-303, and of Course KORG's Latest Electribe synths.

I know a lot of early drum machines. Like Roger Linn's first machine, and the One by E-mu, and Oberheim are popular. Though not as popular as the TR-808, 909 and 707 are. Because, they have knobs and or sliders. However, props should be given. To the 505, and the 606 and the 626. Not as flash as early dum machines, but still well worth it.

I hope I'm not sounding like an ass, but I still can't tell what you want. You answered sven's questions by not answering a sing one and instead telling a childhood story. So based on that, I'm guessing you want to sample sounds you made in your childhood bedroom and make patterns out of those? No drum machine does that. You need an Akai MPC series for that. You never answered what your intention is. Even though you have drum sounds you want a drum machine instead of a sequencer. Why? Do ou want different sounds? What the fuck do you want? There's a wealth of knowledge here. Start by just answering sven's questions instead of telling a childhood story.

My brother played in a band when I was a kid. I used to listen to them practice through the HVAC duct. Which keyboard should I buy?

Dan

Archived